Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merseyside City Region

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Well spotted !! At least Maggie Thatcher had the sense
    Oh No. Not a working class sycophant! How sad.

"Merseyside is a metropolitan county". The county council was abolished. Thatcher did all sorts of abolishing to centralise power in Westminster. The country was i such a perilous state it was ripe for take over and become a dictatorship.
    Last edited by Waterways; 11-28-2008 at 02:39 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Oh No. Not a working class sycophant! How sad.

"Merseyside is a metropolitan county". The county council was abolished. Thatcher did all sorts of abolishing to centralise power in Westminster. The country was i such a perilous state it was ripe for take over and become a dictatorship.
    Aren't we close to dictatorship now with Gordon's lot in power !! George Orwell's 1984 seems almost benign in comparison. They didn't teach me the meaning of sychophant at my upper class sec. mod. school. I had to look it up. My dictionary defines it as :

" As informer against those who exported figs contrary to the law in Athens".

A highly relevant epithet.

Citytalk rang me just after the 6 o'clock news to talk about this. They'd previously had Mike Storey and Dean Sullivan on championing Liverpool as a brand name and the latter stating how the Beatles and LFC put Liverpool on the map. I corrcted that bit by stating we were once the 2nd city of the British Empire, though we've always believed ourselves to be the first anyway and whilst it's not p.c. to brag about our imperialistic past, nevertheless, the name Liverpool was known throughout the world through this and through the many ships in every worldwide port bearing the ports name, EFC (in the 20s) The Beatles (in the 60s) and LFC (in the 70s and 80s) merely kept our name in the worlds eye.

They also put a lady from Wirral on the line at the same time as me saying that she doesn't want to be part of liverpool (though I bet when she's on holiday and asked where she's from, they'd never hear of Pensby, yet say Liverpool....)

Anyway, she wanted to be re-called Cheshire, it's on her birth and marriage cert after all, She said 'Oh i'm not a snob by the way' as by now she was obviously realising that that's how she was coming across.

I said try telling Phil Thompson from Kirkby and Steven Gerrard from Huyton that they're not scousers, not from Liverpool and see what they say?

In the 1960s large swathes of Scotland road residents were shipped out to Kirkby and Halewood, suddenly at the stroke of a pen in 1974, they were suddenly no longer Liverpudlians, how daft is that?

I mentioned that unlike Manchester, we are not trying to incorporate other cities under our wing and rob their identities like they tried with Bolton and Oldham for instance and that these are just outlying regions.

Yes, I like the idea of a Greater Liverpool but even better if all these regions were just under the Liverpool umbrella.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Don?t try to get rid of us, Mike
    Nov 28 2008
    by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

MERSEYSIDE council leaders have condemned former Liverpool leader Mike Storey's plan to ?consign them to oblivion?.

They reacted strongly to the deputy Lord Mayor's comments that the name Merseyside should be scrapped in favour of Greater Liverpool.

His claim, made on City Talk?s breakfast show, that the ?sub-region of Liverpool? should use the city as its greatest asset was met with scorn by leaders.

Cllr Storey called on Knowsley, Wirral, Sefton and St Helens councils to stop promoting their own brands.

Today, the comments were greeted with surprise and some consternation by council leaders from neighbouring authorities.

Cllr Brian Spencer, St Helens leader, told the ECHO: ?If you go throughout the world, it?s obvious that Liverpool is recognised.

?But St Helens, working with the Liverpool city region, is successful in its own right.

?A lot of people in our borough think they come from Lancashire as opposed to Merseyside anyway.

?Mike?s got his own views, but I?m content in the way we are and calling ourselves the heart of the northwest.?

His views were echoed by Cllr Peter Dowd, Labour leader from Sefton, who added: ?One of the strengths of the Liverpool city region is its diversity and the way it is made up of many communities. Southport is sometimes marketed as a Liverpool seaside town when it is in Sefton. The Grand National is in Aintree, which is in Sefton.

?Around 80% of Liverpool?s Docks are actually in Bootle. These bring benefits to the Liverpool city region.?

Cllr Storey said: ?We are in a downturn and we are going to have to fight hard with our best assets.

?During local government re-organisation the area around Manchester became Greater Manchester. So let?s consign Merseyside into oblivion. This should be Greater Liverpool.?

Source: Liverpool Echo

I only ever use 'Liverpool'. I won't use the terms Merseyside, Liverpool City Region, Greater Liverpool or anything else politicians can think up. I don't agree with the idea of 'super-councils' anyway. Not since Merseyside County Council was created.

When ever I am asked where I come from, which is very rarely with my dialect, I always say Kirkby on the outskirts of Liverpool.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

thats one thing i'll agree with Clr Story on. However they (The politicians and chief exec) need to sort out the managerial mess that is the council first before any of our esteemed neighbours would even think about ditching the Merseyside title and taking up the Greater Liverpool one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Aren't we close to dictatorship now with Gordon's lot in power !!
    No. Please stop your sycophantic ways. Get a grip.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    They also put a lady from Wirral on the line at the same time as me saying that she doesn't want to be part of liverpool (though I bet when she's on holiday and asked where she's from, they'd never hear of Pensby, yet say Liverpool....)
    The people in the Wirral I find baffling. They look down on Liverpool - I don't know why? I can't see what they have that is special.

The fact is that the Wirral is a part of Liverpool socio-economically. Without Liverpool they would not exist.

Why was this woman actually listening to a Liverpool radio station?

Anyway, she wanted to be re-called Cheshire, it's on her birth and marriage cert after all,
    Mine has Lancashire on it and I want nothing to do with Lancashire. I want Liverpool and only Liverpool on it.

Yes, I like the idea of a Greater Liverpool but even better if all these regions were just under the Liverpool umbrella.
    Yep all one city, except Southport, St. Helens and Newton-le Willows. They are culturally firmly in Lancashire, don't like being with us and better away from us. Listen to the accents. I see Johnny Vegas does not say he is from Liverpool - he right in not saying he is. St. Helens should be let go.

The Wirral only came about because of Liverpool. Without Liverpool it would be a small collection of hamlets.
    Last edited by Waterways; 11-28-2008 at 10:49 PM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I only ever use 'Liverpool'. I won't use the terms Merseyside, Liverpool City Region, Greater Liverpool or anything else politicians can think up. I don't agree with the idea of 'super-councils' anyway. Not since Merseyside County Council was created.
    Liverpool (Merseyside) should be a city state - like Hamburg.

how it once was?

Liverpool?s bid for regional ?super cabinet? moves a step closer
    Dec 30 2008
    by Alan Weston, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL?S bid for dramatic extra spending power ? at the heart of an official ?city-region? ? is due to be ?signed off? by Ministers next month, it was announced yesterday.

More...

New sustainable growth plan for Liverpool city region
    by Nick. Published Tue 15 Sep 2009 16:32, Last updated: 2009-09-15

Local residents and businesses stand to benefit from a long-term plan for sustainable economic growth after the second and final phase of the Liverpool City Region Multi Area Agreement (MAA) was signed at Tate Liverpool.

The MAA will provide a further boost to local leadership by strengthening the City Region?s partnership working with Government, providing the City Region with greater responsibility and the opportunity to use resources more effectively to tackle the biggest challenges facing the area.

The Agreement between the six local authorities of Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Sefton, Wirral, key partners, and Government represents the next stage in city region working. This means that Government will support Liverpool City Region efforts to respond swiftly to the current economic downturn as well as maximising the longer term ambitions of improving the economic and social prospects of the area.

By working together to a common set of goals the MAA will help the Liverpool City Region to continue to compete for jobs and investment and create a thriving international City Region. This will be delivered through four transformational actions - Culture and the Visitor Economy; Liverpool SuperPort; Low Carbon Economy, and the Knowledge Economy. By capitalising on these economic opportunities there is significant potential for Liverpool City Region to narrow the productivity gap with the rest of the UK.

Delivering the transformational actions will mean:
    ? Investment of ?110m to 2012 in tourism events and infrastructure supporting local businesses and creating jobs.
    ? The development of the Liverpool SuperPort to become a global destination and logistics hub.
    ? To increase the current 9,000 people directly employed in the environmental technologies sector by 6,000 to 15,000 by 2015.
    ? Position Liverpool City Region as an international region of knowledge and science renowned for its creativity and innovation.

These actions will be supported by activities that reduce worklessness and increase skill levels; build a modern and sustainable transport network that reduces carbon emissions and tackles climate change; and improve our existing housing stock, including affordable homes for people living or moving into the region.

Aims include:
    ? Reducing the number of workless people in the City Region by some 81,000.
    ? Turning around the decline in house building and ensure that 3,800 homes are completed per year by the end of 2012.
    ? Increasing the rate we tackle poor quality housing by 20% each year by 2012.
    ? Helping an extra 2000 workless people a year get back into work by providing public transport services that link jobs with disadvantaged residential areas.
    ? Using the Smarter Choices programme to support the Low Carbon Economy through a transport network that reduces carbon dioxide emissions and tackles climate change.
    ? Supporting SuperPort by improving access to the Port and Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

On January 12th 2009 the six local authorities, and partners, signed the first phase of the MAA in Downing Street, formally committing the region to work together to help safeguard local jobs, improve the skills of people and support business. This partnership working, led by Knowsley Council, has helped 32,655 people from benefits and into work during 2008?09, as well as the creation of 100 City Region apprentices in sectors identified as key for growth.
    Cllr Ron Round, Leader of Knowsley Council and Chair of the Liverpool City Region Cabinet said: ?The document we are signing today further cements the support that we have from the Government to make a real difference in the Liverpool City Region.
    ?I welcome this commitment to closer working which I believe sweeps away unnecessary bureaucracy in our collective efforts to securing sustainable economic growth for the people of this region.?
    The Mersey Partnership (TMP) chairman Rod Holmes, who represents the private sector on the City Region Cabinet, said: ?We have already shown that we can work together at the City Regional level. Central Government is now committed to recognise the decisions we take about City Region priorities.

?We are now in a stronger position to work in partnership to grow our economy: to ensure that the people living in Liverpool City Region develop the skills and create the business opportunities for a more prosperous future and better quality of life.

Mr Holmes added: ?As the Sub Regional Economic Partnership, The Mersey Partnership has a central role in all this, on behalf of the private, voluntary and higher education sectors.?

Robert Hough, Chairman of the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA), said: ?The NWDA welcomes this agreement, which is a significant step forward in the drive to transform the Liverpool City Region economy. Strong partnership working is one of the key foundations for successful economic development and this agreement demonstrates a firm commitment between partners to deliver a thriving, international City Region. We look forward now to working with our partners in the Liverpool City Region to ensure that this agreement delivers its ambitious goals for the area.?

Source: Click Liverpool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12