YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: A Pictorial Record of Every Street in Liverpool

  1. #1
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default A Pictorial Record of Every Street in Liverpool

    The aim of this website is to record in photographs every street, road, drive etc (you get the idea!) in Liverpool.

    It was first suggested by Tony Siebenthaler, but it was Pat Neil from The Friends of Liverpool Monuments Civic Society who informed me of it. The only way to embark on this project is with your help by sending me your Liverpool Street photos. Every image will be credited with your name. All I ask is that the photograph you submit is taken by you.


    ADVERTISING




    A good idea is to keep and retain a hi-res copy before sending me your low-res shot, as it may be requested for use by a publisher. When you send me your photo, please include the name and location i.e. "London Road, Liverpool 3" or by naming your image (.jpgs only please) "L3londonroad". I'll keep the image size to a max of 800 pixels in height and 600 pixels in width.

    Well, thats it! Look forward to receiving your photos! Please email them to admin@liverpoolstreets.co.uk

    Cheers, Dave Wood
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  2. #2
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I think this is a great idea to get every single street recorded. Despite the city engineers department records from way back and a one man brave attempt by Harry Ainscough in the late 60s and early 70s, I don't believe this has ever been undertaken before.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Every street ! ? that would mean hundreds ! Quite a task.

    I could take a few on my travels - not sure if the pictures would be up to scratch tho' .. and I imagine it would be time consuming uploading them to a host for resizing and then to send.

    I'll have a look and see what I've got.


    ps,

    there are a few streets knocking around on this site.

  4. #4
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    When you say Liverpool, How far do you mean? Huyton/Prescot are they included? great idea this. do you have any areas covered or know of areas with no interest so far? maybe people could say where they can do, then others could do different locations.


    Parts of Old Swan and Huyton are good for me
    good luck

  5. #5
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Every street ! ? that would mean hundreds ! Quite a task.

    I could take a few on my travels - not sure if the pictures would be up to scratch tho' .. and I imagine it would be time consuming uploading them to a host for resizing and then to send.

    I'll have a look and see what I've got.


    ps,

    there are a few streets knocking around on this site.
    I have seen some of your past pictures, LL, and they are good. So I don't think you'll have any problem quality-wise.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  6. #6
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    When you say Liverpool, How far do you mean? Huyton/Prescot are they included? great idea this. do you have any areas covered or know of areas with no interest so far? maybe people could say where they can do, then others could do different locations.


    Parts of Old Swan and Huyton are good for me
    good luck
    I can't really answer whether Huyton and Prescot are to be included, but I would imagine that they should be part of this great task.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  7. #7
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    To get a decent record of the average street would take at least 4 photos.
    Both sides from both ends.

    On a flickr site somebody was asking for somebody to take photos of some Liverpool streets for him.
    I offered, and he sent back a list and asked could I take both sides (presumably from both ends), then stand in the middle and take overall views.
    (While standing on my head and whistling? I was tempted to ask).

  8. #8
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    To get a decent record of the average street would take at least 4 photos.
    Both sides from both ends.

    On a flickr site somebody was asking for somebody to take photos of some Liverpool streets for him.
    I offered, and he sent back a list and asked could I take both sides (presumably from both ends), then stand in the middle and take overall views.
    (While standing on my head and whistling? I was tempted to ask).
    ! you make me chuckle I get a vision of you standing on your head Philip !

  9. #9
    Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wallasey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    This is a very difficult task indeed!

    I've been working towards getting every street in Wallasey photographed (which is going alright atm) but it can be troublesome. The way I have attacked some streets is just by taking images of them from the bottom of the street. Some roads do have more than one...it all depends on the geography of the area. It's amazing how many are cul-de-sacs!

    It is a good idea to get a team of you together; I have found that a task like this is rather time consuming...and I am doing something in a place that could fit twice over inside Liverpool probably!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

    UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

  10. #10
    Senior Member marky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Good luck with this project, but I prefer to do every street as a solo effort. The first place I noticed an attempt to record all streets, was Wigan a couple of years ago.
    http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/streets/index.php

  11. #11
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I had a look around this morning when walking the dog. Photographing streets is not as easy as it sounds .. some are in two sections, some are curved. The other difficulty is actually taking a photo without looking suspicious !! There were too many people about where I was and every street I looked at there were workmen, window cleaners, phone engineers, Also, a lot of streets are clogged up with cars which spoils the view. I ended up not taking any pics !


    I will take a few sneaky pics when possible. it will take time.

    ADW, I will send you a few I already have on file.

  12. #12
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    AD, I've sent a few e-mails with attachments. Can you let me know if they are ok.


    come on everyone get cracking !

  13. #13
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Over a dozen already submitted by me.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  14. #14
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I had a look around this morning when walking the dog. Photographing streets is not as easy as it sounds .. some are in two sections, some are curved. The other difficulty is actually taking a photo without looking suspicious !! There were too many people about where I was and every street I looked at there were workmen, window cleaners, phone engineers, Also, a lot of streets are clogged up with cars which spoils the view. I ended up not taking any pics !


    I will take a few sneaky pics when possible. it will take time.

    ADW, I will send you a few I already have on file.
    LL, I am not running the website just passing on the information. They will no doubt to put up on the website when the webmaster has the time.

    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  15. #15
    Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wallasey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I had a look around this morning when walking the dog. Photographing streets is not as easy as it sounds .. some are in two sections, some are curved. The other difficulty is actually taking a photo without looking suspicious !! There were too many people about where I was and every street I looked at there were workmen, window cleaners, phone engineers, Also, a lot of streets are clogged up with cars which spoils the view. I ended up not taking any pics !


    I will take a few sneaky pics when possible. it will take time.

    ADW, I will send you a few I already have on file.
    Don't I know about it all too well!!!!

    I had a brainwave...the best way to do this is to get a team of photograpers together and then allocate areas for them to photograph. This makes that task of actually collating images less daunting.

    What are peoples view on that???
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

    UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

  16. #16
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Don't I know about it all too well!!!!

    I had a brainwave...the best way to do this is to get a team of photograpers together and then allocate areas for them to photograph. This makes that task of actually collating images less daunting.

    What are peoples view on that
    ???
    This is happening I believe. I'll be doing some of Garston on Monday.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  17. #17
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Don't I know about it all too well!!!!

    I had a brainwave...the best way to do this is to get a team of photograpers together and then allocate areas for them to photograph. This makes that task of actually collating images less daunting.

    What are peoples view on that???
    If there are any meet ups perhaps some photos could be taken then.

  18. #18
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    This brings me back to a Playstation game called 'The Getaway' I used to work on a few years ago. Back before Grand Theft Auto came out (sort of cartoon type graphics for none gamers), Sony had an idea to photograph every single building on a few square miles in London and put it in to a game, so when you drove around in the car, you'd actually see real life buildings and shops - it took 5 years to make so by that time, a few places were out of date, but it really gives you a thought.

    We've had Google Earth from a 'top down view' - I wonder if Google would ever do a 'persons eye view' so you could 'walk' around your own city?

    Getaway footage below:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huO9KihVZ0

  19. #19
    Senior Member macateb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Halewood
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    We've had Google Earth from a 'top down view' - I wonder if Google would ever do a 'persons eye view' so you could 'walk' around your own city?
    Google do that already. Its called Street View.
    http://maps.google.com/

    press 'Street View' and click on one of the camera icons on the map (in the USA).
    So far its only a few places, but I'm sure Liverpool will be done one day.

    Microsoft Virtual Earth also has some 3D street views already - mostly of the main roads.

  20. #20
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macateb View Post
    Google do that already. Its called Street View.
    http://maps.google.com/

    press 'Street View' and click on one of the camera icons on the map (in the USA).
    So far its only a few places, but I'm sure Liverpool will be done one day.

    Microsoft Virtual Earth also has some 3D street views already - mostly of the main roads.
    I'm impressed!

  21. #21
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I do believe I forgot to add the website that the photos will be displayed!! The addy is http://www.liverpoolstreets.co.uk/.

    Sorry.

    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  22. #22
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    SPAM!
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  23. #23
    Senior Member A.D.W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Sniff!

    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head


  24. #24
    TonyS
    Guest TonyS's Avatar

    Default

    .
    Last edited by TonyS; 08-27-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Record student intake
    By jimmy in forum Liverpool Firsts, Facts and Achievements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
  2. City's pictorial history honoured
    By Kev in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!