Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&S Building

Lightbulb M&S Building

Whilst walking around town today I couldn't help but notice that M&S is expanding into the shops on the corners of the building.
    The buildings at the rear of M&S which front onto Williamson Square are all empty apart from one or two. Does anyone know if M&S is buying up these shops in order to create a new rear entrance to the store?

they are moving into the old George Henry Lees building when the new John Lewis opens. M&S are refurbishing and expanding their store then moving back in. Rapid Hardware will eventually take over the old GHL building.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    they are moving into the old George Henry Lees building when the new John Lewis opens. M&S are refurbishing and expanding their store then moving back in. Rapid Hardware will eventually take over the old GHL building.
    So if it's expanding, I suppose it is possible that they are expanding at the rear, if so, this would be a vast improvement on the existing buildings.
    The fact that Rapid are taking over the existing JL building seems a bit of a waste. The JL building has a very impressive exterior all the way around, which is rare to see after the 'modernisation' projects of the 60's.
    Somehow, putting a hardware store in that building, in church street doesn't seem right.

Default m&s

I do agree with you AK1, perhaps m&s would be better in the JL building, it has much more character than their present one. Rapid could then go into m&s building but I dont think it will look well in Church Street at all. Do you remember when JL building was Bon Marche' and JL had the building behind (now part of JL of course). I had my first job with Bon Marche' as a junior on second floor 'model coats and suits' as the lift man would say. Happy memories.

I agree that DIY doesn't seem suited to the George Henry Lees building. (I'll always call it that. I've never thought of it as the John Lewis building)

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I agree that DIY doesn't seem suited to the George Henry Lees building. (I'll always call it that. I've never thought of it as the John Lewis building)
    I have heard that Rapid intend to run a department store (rather than a DIY store) in the George Henry Lee building. After all they already sell white goods...I am not sure that it will be called Rapid.

I was visualising paint brushes and bottles of turps in the windows of G H Lees

Rapid now sell home furnishings so that would be ok, also white goods.

Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post
    I have heard that Rapid intend to run a department store (rather than a DIY store) in the George Henry Lee building. After all they already sell white goods...I am not sure that it will be called Rapid.
    That would be far better, I also had visions of paint and wallpaper in the windows. Thanks for the info.

Regarding the M&S building, M&S have told me that the renovations to the store are purely internal and they won't be buying up the properties at the rear.

This is why M&S are mooving onto the OLD John Lewis for 2 Years
    Then back into the new store

"As part of our work in developing an architectural language for Marks and Spencer, we developed a concept for a refurbishing a city centre store and creating a flagship store and based our work on their existing store in Liverpool.

For this exercise, we developed the a contemporary and welcoming shopping experience behind an existing listed fa�ade. The proposal is to refurbish the entire store and create a 200,000 sq ft flagship store trading over 5 floors. The proposal includes the refurbishment of the a grade II listed building and the incorporation of a new 50,000 sq feet building.

Working with WSP and Faber Maunsell, we looked at how we could create a BREEAM �excellent� store and how we could incorporate low energy technologies.

A dramatic triple height void at the front of the store will give customers the immediate impression that they are in a large M&S store and helping them understand what is on offer. A new daylit central movement area creates a legible and easily navigable store

For Austin-Smith:Lord LLP"

Some links to related movies

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbansa...n/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbansa...n/photostream/

Last edited by RoddersUK; 06-06-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Wow that's a bit futuristic looking, perhaps too much so for the surrounding area though the new St. John's might look just as impressive. Where's the shoppers helipad?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Very smart.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

interesting....i'll give it that. Defiantly interesting!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

wow..nice one ^^

Looks great..!!

If I saw this building anywhere in Europe I'd be impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast