Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post
I imagine the QE2 has more than a 15m draught (?) and she has been at anchor for more than two tides in midstream.
The ships using the canal were obviously nowhere near as big a displacement so the canal and that bit of river needn'y be so deep. I think I read somewhere else here that the river channel changed course onto the Wirral side as the stream 'stuck' to the flow of the canal. ...
It seems to me that, with global sea levels set to rise, the threat is not so much the River becoming too shallow but rather sea levels becoming so high that sea walls are overtopped.

The two most scientifically likely figures for sea level rise in the next 50 years are about one metre (if the West Antarctic ice sheet retains structural integrity) or approaching 7 metres if it doesn't!

My guess if that a 7 metre rise in sea level would see Pier Head and the new dockside developments inundated? However, there is possibly some mitigating effect in that if sea level does rise a lot then the tidal range at Liverpool might be somewhat reduced as the geography changes.

A Bootle-aligned Mersey Barrage would seem a possible solution, but it then raises the problem of possible in-flooding via the Harrison Drive and Bidston area. Thus returning Wallasey to it's one-time reputation of being an island.

I must get hold of some good ordnance survey maps with contours to satisfy my curiosity. But given that Princes Dock was operated just a few years ago without impounding water, then the whole area must be pretty low-lying.

Think it can't happen? That's exactly what they thought in New Orleans. And of course, if Liverpool is in trouble then London is in bigger trouble. Maybe we will get to see Parliament moved to Bradford yet