Thread: Liverpool - London

Default Liverpool - London

This isn't new news by any means, but I couldn't see anyone else having already posted it.

From December, most trains from Lime Street to Euston will be scheduled to take 2 hours and 7 minutes, with offpeak trains only stopping at Runcorn and Stafford.

Trains at 0527, 0605, 0700 and 48 minutes past each hour until 2048.

Birmingham and Manchester gain 3 trains per hour.

Ta.. that is fantastic news.. It took me 4 hours a couple of years ago from London to Liverpool... Great News to be able to take in both places in one day if one likes...

Brilliant, about time too
    Life is what you make it

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Ta.. that is fantastic news.. It took me 4 hours a couple of years ago from London to Liverpool... Great News to be able to take in both places in one day if one likes...
    Takes that at the weekend with all the diversions.

And it appears Liverpool will not be getting the extra services promised due to the track not being ready in time and not having the capacity to run the trains with the current fleet.

Might be May 2009 before the extra trains appear.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_hall View Post
    Takes that at the weekend with all the diversions.

And it appears Liverpool will not be getting the extra services promised due to the track not being ready in time and not having the capacity to run the trains with the current fleet.

Might be May 2009 before the extra trains appear.
    It won't be that early. The existing units move to a 10-15 minute turnaround at Euston in December.

One of the other reasons was that a unit was written off in the accident in Cumbria and won't be replaced for a couple more years (when extra units are built in addition to replacing it).
    Last edited by robt; 04-05-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Read something in the last few weeks that it due to be May 2009 timetable change as they appear to be putting it off from December 08 timetable change.

Think they've requested it via the rail regulator.

Read something in the last few weeks that it due to be May 2009 timetable change as they appear to be putting it off from December 08 timetable change.

Think they've requested it via the rail regulator.
    The Rail Regulator can't magic up more trains though.

The only way to do it in May timetable would be to have no standby units for the whole WCML and run no relief trains (seriously - they do exist!) out of Euston on busy evenings. Both of which are obviously dangerous moves.

I know they run relief trains, mainly to Manchester when i've seen them.

Can't remember where i saw the article, but if i find it i'll post it.

Here is what *is* happening with lenghtening existing units and ordering more (regardless of Liverpools frequency):

Contract to be placed in August 2008 for:

Four new 9 carriage sets to be delivered, and 35 existing sets (out of 52) to be lenghtened to 11 carriages before December 2012.

An option to lengthen another 21 sets to 11 carriages (ie the rest of them including the new 9 carriage units) before December 2012. Option must be invoked between August 2008 and September 2010.

A later option to place a follow-on order of 23 x 8, 9, or 11 carriages units.

Silly question but if they are to get the extra carriages why not go for the new trains as 11 coaches from the start?

Or are the platforms not big enough at the main stations?

Only station i can think off top of my head as not long enough is Lichfield, and thats now never mind longer trains.

Silly question but if they are to get the extra carriages why not go for the new trains as 11 coaches from the start?

Or are the platforms not big enough at the main stations?

Only station i can think off top of my head as not long enough is Lichfield, and thats now never mind longer trains.
    It does seem mad, your right.

The thinking is that 11 carriage trains will need testing before entering revenue service (silly I know) - so the 9 carriages trains are to cover the existng trains whilst they are out of service to be extended and tested (and of course replace the written off train). This means that there won't actually be an additional number of trains in service until they have all been lengthened. Hope that makes sense (in written form as opposed to the thinking )

Incidently, relief trains also often run to Preston (shadowing Glasgow services) and Liverpool too. There will be no need for relief services to Manchester come December with a 20 minute frequency, until demand outgrows capacity again.

Makes complete sense Rob. Forgot about the testing needed with the extra carriages etc...

Before i moved back to Liverpool summer of 2006, i'd spent 18 years coming up by train to the match.

Last couple of years were spent taking advantage of the Virgin free first class weekend travel loyalty card.

So i think i know every sodding window view ever.

Hopefully the line will work better and turn back into a 7 day a week line rather than the 5 it seems to have been for as long as i can remember, with all of this renewal work.

Looks like the possibility of a 0733 being added too.

So trains at 0527, 0605, 0700, 0733, 0748 and 48 minutes past each hour until 2048. Plenty of choice for morning commuters.

At that time of day, the standard return fare is around £200, no savers permitted!

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    At that time of day, the standard return fare is around £200, no savers permitted!
    Indeed - walk on fares for tomrorow peak time there and return are £215 standard and £344 first class

But there is sufficient demand for it that 'they' can charge that much.