Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Irish Pride

chippie

Default the Irish in me

Since I,ve been mainly "away" so to speak, I,ve been knuckling down to my family tree and structuring it better and visiting relatives etc; BUT out of the blue I got a mail from America telling me my gran,s mother was in this woman,s tree somewhere. So she sends another mail the same night and shows me a piccie of my Irish gt gt grandmother Margaret Frazer, not very Irish sounding but still she lived there back in the 1820s.

So although I,m mainly doing my pop,s side of the tree, it pays to have some trails here and there so that complete strangers get in touch and give you a surprise.

Talk about getting messagers from the grave, this internet business is really weird and full of surprises.

My advice to family tree makers or relative seekers is as I said "leave your trail, your footprint now" AND NEVER GIVE UP HOPE of finding someone.

cheers peeps. kvn

MAJOR IRISH COMMUNITY CONFERENCE IN LIVERPOOL

A major conference for the Irish Community in Liverpool has been
    planned for Saturday 10th May 2008 at St Michael's Irish Centre,
    Boundary Road (West Derby Road), Liverpool 2.00pm-7.00pm. Designed
    as part of the Irish community's contribution to Liverpool's Capital
    of Culture 2008, the conference entitled 'Inné Agus Inniu'
    (Yesterday & Today) aims to address the history of the Irish
    Community in Liverpool and also examine today's community and the
    issues facing Irish people in modern day Liverpool.

"Liverpool's Irish community is one of the oldest in England, and
    has contributed much to the development of the city in terms of its
    cultural identity, economic development and its artistic endeavours.
    This conference will also address how Liverpool's Irish community
    influenced past and recent historical developments in Ireland
    itself. The conference will explore Irish community development of
    the past, but also look at today's community and how it continues to
    influence and change the life of the City. A particular focus will
    be on how Irish community groups/organisations are developing and
    how the `Liverpool Irish' identity is facing up to new challenges
    and influences"

Conference highlights include:

· Presentations from Irish community groups including: Conradh Na
    Gaeilge, Irish Community Care Merseyside, Gaelic Athletic
    Association and others…..

· Individual presentations from Tommy Walsh and Bernard Morgan

· A `Question Time' session

admission free...refreshments provided

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Hi Bob

I have put your message on the Merseyside Genealogy Forum, they may be able to help you, I really hope so mate.

There link is http://genchatfriends.proboards39.com/

I will post any replies here

Kev this aint no spam

good luck, and welcome to the forum

Tony
    Thanks Gnomie. It was good for me just to write what I did. In a way we have been looking for my grandad's grave for years. It's just that I started again recently. I would dearly love to visit his grave.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Go gcuiti Dia thu
    Bob

Historic tax records shed light on forgotten families
    Apr 22 2008
    by Alan Weston, Liverpool Daily Post

AN HISTORICAL collection of more than a million 19th-century Irish names that time would have forgotten, but for the tax man, has been launched online.

Dating from 1848 to 1864, Griffith’s Valuation of Ireland was put together by Irish geologist Sir Richard Griffith as a means of assessing for taxation purposes the property of those living in Ireland at this time.

With the destruction of almost all the 19th-century Ireland censuses during the Irish civil war, this collection is thought to be the only record of existence for many of the 1m people whose names it lists.

Importantly, the collection covers the years of the Irish Potato Famine (1845-1852), which plunged Ireland into crisis and resulted in more than 1m Irish dying and a further 1m emigrating.

The port city of Liverpool has long been a destination for Irish migrants, with by far the greatest influx of Irish people to Liverpool during the years of the Great Famine in the 1840s. Tens of thousands of their descendants are now living in and around Merseyside.

Travelling on disease-ridden “famine ships”, often at great personal risk, Irish immigration to England, Scotland, Australia and North America during this time marked the start of what was to become the ongoing depopulation of Ireland, which continued for the rest of the 19th century.

For the millions of descendants of these Irish émigrés, and also of those who stayed behind, the collection – on Ancestry.co.uk – will be a key and only resource to uncovering their 19th century Irish roots.

Among the more famous listings in the collection is Abraham “Bram” Stoker, author of the classic horror novel “Dracula”, listed at his childhood home in The Crescent, Dublin, with his father.

As a member of the wealthy middle class, Bram remained in Dublin until 1878, when he moved to London to pursue his career as an author.

The records are indexed by name, location and landlord and also contain descriptions and size of property as well as the valuation given to the land, offering anyone with Irish ancestry an opportunity to delve into their heritage.

Ancestry.co.uk spokesman Simon Harper said: “This collection will be hugely relevant to anyone with Irish ancestry as it may hold the only record of the existence of their ancestors during this colourful and tragic time in Ireland’s history.

“The Irish Potato Famine was a significant event in world history, causing a huge spike in international emigration from Ireland, and so making this an important collection for those of Irish descent the world over.”

alanweston@dailypost.co.uk

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Just got a phone call today from Anfield cemetery. Got number of my grandad's grave. I am so pleased. So are my brothers and sisters. He died in 1944. We never knew where he was buried. We will re-member him. Thanks to all from my seven brothers and six sisters.
    I wish you peace in your families.
    Bob

Great thread. Like a lot of Scousers, I too have a lot of Irish in me. It's strange because even though I've never been to Ireland (and I'm 23 now), I somehow feel a connection with it. I really want to go sometime soon to find out if this is just wishful thinking or there is actually some substance to the way I feel about Ireland. Is this something you can relate to? Or did it take you to go there to realise you felt so strongly about it?

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by claire1812 View Post
    Great thread. Like a lot of Scousers, I too have a lot of Irish in me. It's strange because even though I've never been to Ireland (and I'm 23 now), I somehow feel a connection with it. I really want to go sometime soon to find out if this is just wishful thinking or there is actually some substance to the way I feel about Ireland. Is this something you can relate to? Or did it take you to go there to realise you felt so strongly about it?
    I always felt a connection with Ireland. The first time i visited there i felt like i belonged. I have Welsh, Swedish and southern English ancestors, though i dont feel connections to them. my ancestors are mostly Irish, so i guess their blood stirs up feelings for Ireland in me. It is where my roots are

Saw this today on the Clarence Dock wall
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Yes i've seen that but never photographed it, Ken Pye mentions it in his discover Liverpool book - well done gd.

I suspect Gnomies and my great grandad would have passed through there around 1847 along with many others.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gnomie

Great Pic

I still think more than a plaque should remember them.

Great pic GD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123