Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgotten Station: International Exhibition Liverpool 1886

Here is a detailed layout of the exhibition from the LRO. The station isn't mentioned here, but it looks like from an earlier pic above that it ran on the outside.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Just a thought , could the station have been just temporary platforms on the main line .A station in the grounds would have required run round loops for locos & temporary signaling. The line does pass close to exhibition rd, it would only be a short walk from there.

Railway Signal Engineer mikewturner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Here is a detailed layout of the exhibition from the LRO. The station isn't mentioned here, but it looks like from an earlier pic above that it ran on the outside.

NIce one Ged!

I have some OS maps which I believe show the station and will post as soon as I get back to my office and the scanner!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikewturner View Post
    NIce one Ged!

I have some OS maps which I believe show the station and will post as soon as I get back to my office and the scanner!

Mike
    And here they are....

The 1:500 OS of late 1880's shows disused platforms

Extract from 1905 revision of OS showing a general view of the same site

In later years Edge Hill No.13 was renamed Exhibition Junction although the box that carried the name was a replacement in 1929(ish) for the one shown on the map and was nearer Crawfords factory.

The bit that always troubled me is the old formation leading towards the site. In later years the council had sidings here and I had assumed there had been some earlier also and then I looked at my images of the model of Edge Hill in the National Railway Museum and noticed almost in a state of shock.........

The model shows the exhibition and the formation was indeed sidings leading in to the complex I assume for loading/unloading exhibits!!!

Mike

... The model shows the exhibition and the formation was indeed sidings leading in to the complex I assume for loading/unloading exhibits!!! ...
    And, likely, for the Royal train too. That's presumably why one of the sidings has a locomotive run-around track. So the Royal train would not have to reverse on the mainline.

Great find Mike, that model railway with the exhibition, great pic.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Great find Mike, that model railway with the exhibition, great pic.
    It is, indeed.
    As is the 1880s map.
    Is that in the Record Office, Mike, because I checked the 1889 OS, which is similar to the 1905 OS (without showing evidence of a station).

That drawing is good, but I think the railway running right down the side is a bit of artistic licence.

Great plan, Ged.
    Signs of a mis-spent youth in the RO.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Great plan, Ged.
    Is that where I got it

Can't quite remember now......

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It is, indeed.
    As is the 1880s map.
    Is that in the Record Office, Mike, because I checked the 1889 OS, which is similar to the 1905 OS (without showing evidence of a station).

That drawing is good, but I think the railway running right down the side is a bit of artistic licence.

Great plan, Ged.
    These aren't the normal 25in OS maps but the 'super scale' 50in one's. I copied loads for the Edge Area years ago and looking through most are surveyed 1890, my mistake. The sheet in question is CVI.15.9.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBlack View Post
    And, likely, for the Royal train too. That's presumably why one of the sidings has a locomotive run-around track. So the Royal train would not have to reverse on the mainline.
    I think the lines into the exhibition are 'goods only' and the station was as sketched on the map. A couple of reasons for this -

1. Station appears to have been known as Exhibition Road (see Ged's map)
    2. The Liverpool Mercury in it's article about the arrival of the Queen talks about the station near the exhibition and who's platform adjoins the roadway. It goes on to say the queen kept heir veil raised until she passed the exhibition on route to her temporary residence in Newsham House.

Mike
    Last edited by mikewturner; 04-08-2008 at 10:07 PM.

PhilipG

I think the lines into the exhibition are 'goods only' and the station was as sketched on the map. A couple of reasons for this -

1. Station appears to have been known as Exhibiton Road (see Ged's map)
    2. The Liverpool Mercury in it's article about the arrival of the Queen talks about the station near the exhibition and who's platform adjoins the roadway. It goes on to say the queen kept heir veil raised until she passed the exhibition on route to her temporary residence in Newsham House.

Mike
    The reason for her staying at the Judges' Lodgings (Newsham House) was because she opened the Exhibition.

From the "Annals of Liverpool".
    Exhibition (Shipperies). Queen Victoria in Liverpool to open the "International Exhibition of Navigation", Edge Lane Estate. 11 May 1886.

Thanks for the reference for the map.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-08-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12