Opened on 27th August 1849, the Philharmonic Hall was described as ‘the best in Europe’ by Sir Thomas Beecham before being destroyed by fire in 1933. It was replaced by the present hall, designed by architect Herbert Rowse which was opened in 1939.
Note the statue on the left- is it the same one that, until the riots, long stood at the park end of Princes Boulevarde? Only the plinth remains now. Who was its subject and where is it now?