YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sounds & smells

Thanks

Default sounds & smells

With the loss of so much industry, & changes in lifestyle, there are many things no longer with us. we have photos to remind us of places etc , but what about the sounds & smells. where i lived i used to love the early morning smell of fresh bread from local bakeries. the smell of coal fires allways reminded me of cosy nights in by the fire. now & then the smell from spillers on longmoor lane would keep the local dogs happy, am to far away now. some smells not so nice! like the litherland tannerys , or the tar works. Also gone are the sounds, like the works hooters such as johnsons simple things like the 'ding ding' on a bus. the many styles of rag & bone men (now making a comeback) the general clatter from the docks ( now replaced with the odd bang from a droped container) even the 'wooorp' of the mersey foghorns . Anyone got anymore lost sounds & smells ?

ADVERTISING

Last edited by merseywail; 03-20-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

merseywail, Just count yourself as lucky not to have lived near the tannery on New Chester Rd. Tranmere. The worst stink there ever was.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    merseywail, Just count yourself as lucky not to have lived near the tannery on New Chester Rd. Tranmere. The worst stink there ever was.
    I used to live on green lane over the road from the Tannery's god what a stench, still smell it now
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Thanks

I remember the distinctive smell when going into the ships chandlers of the ropes made from natural fibres. They had a unique smell of earthiness and oil somehow combined that just isn't there today.
    The nylon man made ropes that are so lifeless now even with their new bright colours trying to bring some character to them fail miserably in my opinion.

Thanks

Default My childhood sounds and smells

I can still smell the parrafin and hemp smell from the chandler's, where we used to buy washing line for one and six to use as a sipping rope. I can smell the roast pork from Lister's pork butcher's on Breck Road, and the leather from the cobbler's which was just next door (I think). Mrs. Davies' pet shop was further up and she had pet food in large containers, which you bought loose. That smell wasn't really nice! What about the smell of the 'bombdies' where we played - all rotten wood and that derelict building smell.

I can hear the sound of my mother's 'rack' as she hoisted it up towards the ceiling, full of washing to be dried. I can hear Barker & Dobson's 7.25 hooter, calling the workers in and the one-o'clock gun.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Thanks

Whoops - skipping rope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast