Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breck Road, Everton

Default Breck Road, Everton

Does anyone have a photograph of Edensor Terrace, which was off Breck Road, Everton? When our houses were demolished a Leo's (remember them?) supermarket was built. Asda occupies the site now. I revisited the area last Summer and although the other side of Breck Road still exists, it's not the same. Does anyone remember Mrs. Davies' Pet Food Shop, and Foxes chippy. Mr. Fox would give you a freshly cooked, thick-cut chip wrapped up in newspaper whilst you were waiting for your portions to be served. He would put them in a bowl for you if you wanted.

I'd love to see a photo of Edensor terrace - I vaguely remember walking through the street ( wasn't it an 'L' shape, or it curved around ? because I think you came out onto Breck rd - by where Tylers the shoeshop was.

I do remember the chippy and pet shop

There was a pub called the 'Mona Castle' and do you remember the Chinese restaurant further up by the Royal pub ? it was called The Pearl I think.

We used to drink in the Thirlmere and Lutine Bell as my mate's bro-in-law lived in Bulwer st off breck rd. That has now been drastically shortened.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Edensor Terrace, off Breck Road

Edensor Terrace ran (straight) from Breck Road as far as Barnes Street, then for some reason it became St.Albans, which then ran onto Whitefield Road.
    I remember Tyler's shoeshop, and Dick's shoeshop, and the Maypole, which used to sell chocolate slab cake for one and six.
    One the corner of Edensor Terrace was Prouts's garage and Whitehead's florists.

it's a bit of a misty memory for me - I was only a kid at the time. I just recall walking along that way with my grandmother and I remember us cutting through Edensor terrace and she was telling me that a relative had lived there. (I must have got mixed up with saying it came out by the shoe shop - I'll have a look at an old map and see if I can refresh my memory.

The Chip shop I remember because when I was a teenager we used to go to the Belmont Youth club and afterwards to the chippy

Edensor,St Albans,Pickering and Barnes St where part of my paper round in the '60s.I worked for Mr & Mrs Pye.The shop was on the block between The Willows and Woodville Terrace.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Liverpool Records Office would be a good place to start surely?? Or even, inquiring in the Library on Breck Road.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Yes, I will ask in the Central Library when I get a chance - I remember Pye's newsagents well - and all the houses around Pickering Street/Harewood Street/Barnes Street.

Default Any information on Edensor Terrace

Does anybody remember Murial Harrison who lived with her mother Mrs C A Harrison and family on Edensor Terrace. She was born around 1908. She later moved to 6 Heyes Street Liverpool. It would be fantastic if we got any information or photo's. Thank you...
    Last edited by vickyj; 09-15-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: updated info

Any photos of the following streets in Everton?...............Spencer street, Hodson place, Aubrey street and Newlands street.

Some of those on my site Lizzie.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com

Go to the pre war and post war black and white scenes and use F3 on your keyboard as a search facility.

Edensor Terrace is in the LRO so I will add it to my next list. Watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Some of those on my site Lizzie.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com

Go to the pre war and post war black and white scenes and use F3 on your keyboard as a search facility.

Edensor Terrace is in the LRO so I will add it to my next list. Watch this space.
    Thanks Ged, I have looked on your fantastic site before, Sometimes get lost in it!!!
    ..................just had another nosey and found is a distant one of Aubrey Street and some great ones of Spencer Street! unfortunately can't find any of Newlands St or Hodson Place.

Edensor Terrace has been mentioned a lot on this thread so here we are:

Firstly, two sheets of plans showing the demolition area and detailing the houses to be photographed which in this case was both sides of the street so you're in luck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The photos themselves were taken 41 years ago next week - on 31st March 1970.

Thanks Ged, Edensor Terrace was one I was interested to see.

Leary's mortuary taken on 18.6.1921. Does anyone know anything about it or where exactly it was?

(LRO)

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Found it. Described on the back of the LRO photo as Leary's mortuary, i've found in my Edwardian A-Z by Paul Bolger that J. Leary undertakers (one of a few actually on Breck Road by the looks of it) was at No.188, one property down from Agate Street on the South side of Breck Road - on the block from Agate st to Edensor Terrace. The row of houses in the distance will be the rears of Barnes Street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast