Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Churchill Way Flyover Area

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Churchill Way Flyover Area

Anger at go-ahead for new city hotel

ADVERTISING

Mar 19 2008 by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

A NEW hotel will be built in Liverpool city centre despite complaints from nearby residents.

The 72-bedroom complex will form part of a 10-floor building on Byrom Street, under the Churchill Way flyover.

The site was previously home to John Moores university student halls of residence, which were demolished last year.

The building, approved by Liverpool council’s planning committee yesterday, will also contain offices, an underground car park and ground-floor shops.

Residents in the neighbouring Marybone estate had objected, saying they did not want another high-rise complex constructed around their homes.

Councillors also approved John Moores university’s proposal to build a new psychology and sports science department at its Byrom Street campus.

The building , which will be on a car park, should be ready for autumn 2009.
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Am I thinking of another area or did that not used to be the white building under the flyover that was once a pub?

Thanks

!Don’t know if it was a pub, but it was a white building formerly JMU halls.

Hopefully the catalyst for some regeneration along Scottie rd.

Can't help feeling those houses in the neighbouring estate are starting to look more out of place, as the city centre expands north.

I wouldn’t miss them if they went but I'm sure the usual brigade will come out and argue how we should have more quality homes like that in our city centre!

Thanks

wondered what was happening with that site. the students accom was all done up nice, then next thing it was getting ripped to bits again.

the pub was where the wasteland bit with cars on is now. the accom was behind it.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Thanks

There were two pubs on that site. The Byrom aka the pie shop fronted onto Byrom street and was a plain 60s type buidling only two storeys high. This was surrounded by a works called D. Evans/Tapley. The corner of the block that became Imperial Halls student residence was originally the Dart public house and was incorporated into the residence in the 1990s.

As for the local houses being out of place. We have to remember who was here first. There has been housing in this area for donkeys years, first with the courts/slums - then the Fontenoy Gardens tenements blocks and the coffin blocks up on Standish Street/Marybone. It's only fair that these residents were given new homes but just a few years later, big multi story student accommodation was lumped right behind them overlooking their gardens etc etc.

I believe another high rise is sheduled for the corner of Gt Crosshall st/Fontenoy St too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks

Quite right Ged, the houses where there first, but my point was looking more to the future of the estate, if another high rise goes in, I wonder what that will do for the area or aspirations of any developers?

A different area but a similar situation would be the houses that now face the Q Car park at the rear of the Liverpool 1, clearly they where there before the developments where even thought of, but they stick out like a sore thumb these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast