Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: King Edward Tower

Exclamation

The one thing I like most about this tower is the fact that it looks good from all sides. Alot of developers tend to have the good bits facing the river and the backs are just left plain and boring. The original beetham is a typical example. The front and the sides look great, but the back is just concrete and quite ugly. I don't see why they have done this because most people see the buildings on the waterfront from behind as they travel into town.

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Quote:
    But the pub’s owners, Richmont Properties, are hoping to strike a deal with the council which would let them keep the building intact while they work on a long-term plan.

They will ask if they could swathe the King Edward in a Capital of Culture banner so it is hidden from view.
    Unquote.

Like they've done with the ABC cinema, and to a lesser degree, the Futurist.
    And Williamson Square.
    And Concourse House and Radio City Tower until they had to take them down.

Wonderful solution!
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Quote:
    But the pub’s owners, Richmont Properties, are hoping to strike a deal with the council which would let them keep the building intact while they work on a long-term plan.

They will ask if they could swathe the King Edward in a Capital of Culture banner so it is hidden from view.
    Unquote.

Like they've done with the ABC cinema, and to a lesser degree, the Futurist.
    And Williamson Square.
    And Concourse House and Radio City Tower until they had to take them down.

Wonderful solution!
    Its only so they don't have to spend much money on it.

I'll be happy to see it gone. I've always hated seeing it on my way into town. Between that and the old Flash Harry's by LJMU, I don't know which was worse. At least they got rid of that one

Exclamation

It will be pointless for them to refurbish it when it's going to be demolished eventually anyway, and covering it in a banner is just the easy way out. It would end up being really grotty and wouldn't help with the rodent issue.

No Pub sign for me to take a pic of either.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    No Pub sign for me to take a pic of either.
    I didn't even notice it had gone , I wonder when that went missing. Its on this photo from Liverpool Pictorial too, when was that taken ?

What's the point in a CoC banner? Everyone knows now already...

Eyesore pub on multi million £ site to be razed

ONE of Liverpool’s worst eyesores is finally going to be demolished, the ECHO can reveal.

The owner of the former King Edward pub, on the edge of the city centre, has appointed a firm to tear down the derelict, burned-out building.

It follows a council order which demanded Richmont Properties either refurbish or bulldoze the venue, passed by thousands of motorists every day.

The developer says it is now working “constructively” with Liverpool council and English Heritage to draw up a plan for a landmark building on the site, said to be worth millions of pounds.
    The announcement will come as welcome news to city officials, who were worried about what message the King Edward would send out to visitors.

The pub was deemed Liverpool’s 11th worst grotspot in a report last year.

A spokesman for Richmont Properties said: “Responding to the notice to repair or demolish the pub, contractors have been appointed and will soon be commencing demolition works.

“We will endeavour to minimise disruption to businesses and residents as much as possible.”

The King Edward closed about 10 years ago before falling into disrepair. Richmont Properties had originally hoped to swathe the building, at the junction of Great Howard Street and Leeds Street, in a banner while they worked on a long-term plan.

The company has recently submitted a planning application for about 500 apartments, shops and offices on the site.

The spokesman said: “Discussions are moving forward positively with the council to ensure the planned development reaches a satisfactory conclusion for all parties, not least the people of Liverpool, regenerating the location with what will be a world-class scheme.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    [B]The pub was deemed Liverpool’s 11th worst grotspot in a report last year.
    About time it's going

What are the other grotspots ?

Default Grotspots

I don't know what was on that list but one of the worst is at the junction of Islington and Moss Street, a row of dereliction with an ugly metal forge shop on the corner. Its on one of the main routes out of the city centre but appears to be invisible to everyone but me.
    My pet hate is Heap's rice mill, a rotting pile of ugliness facing the King's Dock and incredibly described as "historic" in a recent Echo article. This is the problem when heritage fanatics hold too much sway in a city, any old pile of crap such as this is celebrated instead of being seen for what it is - a filthy anachronism made of rotting bricks that should have been demolished decades ago. Even more incredibly, they're apparently turning this eyesore into apartments.

Question

Any news on this yet? The owners of the site have a website but it is still under construction.

Demolition of the pub has finally

begun

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/l...name_page.html

As of yesterday virtually the entire top floor had gone. No doubt by the end of the week the rest will also be rubble.

Demolition teams really work fast nowadays...there were only a few bricks left on the floor today. A small section of dividing wall between the next property, is all that remains standing.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast