Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandfield Tower

There has been lots of work going on in the grounds of Sandfield Tower over the last couple of weeks, trees have gone, the grass has gone and large trucks and the like have been busy.

I am hoping that they are making safe this site so that it can be put forward for sale, there is nothing in the Planning Applications to say that it will be demolished (it is listed) but I'm not putting anything past the Council.

If you see anything at all that looks a bit strange, contact me thru Sandfield

Workmen have moved into the grounds in front of this house. Containers, fences etc.

Today they were moving back out again..........
    They were the containers / dwellings for the workmen digging up the roads.

The workmen who did all the digging of the roads on Derby Lane and Queens Drive have been using the front of Sandfield Tower to store their Cabins, a kind of base. They have moved a few out and I asked one today if they will be doing any work on the tower and he said No, so not sure what happens next? it looks like these cleared the trees away a couple of months back so they could store their cabins? I dont know if any plans are in place for work on the tower.

Jonothan i have not taken any more photos as nothing has happened, If it does rest assured i shall snap away and contact you.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The workmen who did all the digging of the roads on Derby Lane and Queens Drive have been using the front of Sandfield Tower to store their Cabins, a kind of base. They have moved a few out and I asked one today if they will be doing any work on the tower and he said No, so not sure what happens next? it looks like these cleared the trees away a couple of months back so they could store their cabins? I dont know if any plans are in place for work on the tower.

Jonothan i have not taken any more photos as nothing has happened, If it does rest assured i shall snap away and contact you.
    Cheers Spike. Rest assured, it's not just me taking regular visits to the property but the City Council also are keeping tabs on the building too. I'm a bit concerned that they have taken some earth away to expose the cellar brickwork but I hope this is just to dry out the building - not for any structural reasons. It's a bit of a shame that all the overgrowth has gone, mooching around in the grass was half the fun of the secret visits!

I've heard that all this work is to lay power lines to Sandfield Tower so it can be turned into a Batcave/Wayne Manor base for Tom Slemen. He needs these to power his GIANT computer database that holds all his files on the supernatural.
    Due to the massive success of his books, and most of the major figures in the council being big fans of them, Tom Slemen is now going to be a Batman/Buffy the Vampire Slayer figure for Liverpool that's bound to take the world by storm.

I wonder what vehicle he'll use to prowl the city at night....?????

Hip Hip Hooray

Blog Entries

A strech (the truth) limo?

Ohhh waaaahhh. I saw what you did there.

I've just heard that due to budget cuts the hellcrime fighter Tom S will have to make due with a bicycle.

This is because the team that's responsible for burning down buildings so the council can then justify buying the property is demanding an increase in their operational funds. Even though the section is imaginary, and hilarious even by conspiracy theory standards, they still need more money for matches and petrol. Another victim of the credit crunch is poor Tom S.

A redesign:

http://www.sandfieldtower.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Hi Cadfael

Depressing to see those photographs. I certainly hope something worthwhile can be done with such a grand old building.

A point of information. The website refers to "the First Christ the Scientist Sect" as builders of "The Nursery" which is part of the property. But isn't that a reference to the Christian Scientists, who go by the formal title of First Church of Christ, Scientist, which is a somewhat different name to the way they are styled on the website?

Indeed the Sandfield Tower website seems to be the only one of the web that terms them "the First Christ the Scientist Sect".

Do they see themselves as a "sect"? Do others (other religions or governments) view them as a sect? Rather, they are as far as I can see, a fairly long established religion, founded by Mary Baker Eddy (1821?1910), so over a century old, not some fly-by-night organization. So I am not sure the characterization that they are a "sect" is correct.

I should clarify that Christian Science is not a religion I hold to and I don't believe in the Christian Scientists' avowed beliefs in the healing power of prayer. I am just bringing up the correctness of the way that the religion is characterized on the Sandfield Tower site.

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Chris

You've hit the nail on the head - however, in all of the publications I've seen regarding Sandfield Tower, this is the exact nature of the wording they've used to describe the 'sect'. I'll 100% agree with you that it should be worded differently but every time I come across something else, it is listed with the name used on the website, so I'm loathed to change it now.

One of the last people I spoke to on the building used to live opposite and they said that at regular times, 3 white Rolls Royce cars drew up to the house and let out lots of people in white suits to be ushered in to the building.
    You can just imagine that on a dark night!!

Hopefully the building will last a little longer - most of the roof is there, the internal structure is just about standing but the sandstone outer walls would take an earthquake to demolish!

Who currently owns it, it looks ripe for a grand designs tv programme if someone would buy it as a private residence and do it up. Have to watch ww's fuel poverty trap mind.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

My brother in law tried to buy it but it was way too much money.

He ended up buying one in Sandfield park.

Its a great building but a lot of the roof is missing. Shall we climb up and cover it
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Who currently owns it, it looks ripe for a grand designs tv programme if someone would buy it as a private residence and do it up. Have to watch ww's fuel poverty trap mind.
    Privately owned by a chap who lives at the back of Sandfield Park.

Here's the docs from the last time it was trying to be sold:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forsale1.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	12117

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forsale2.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	12118

Grand Designs themselves are aware of this building from my campaign. It would need a lottery win to put right.

Does anyone know how much the property is selling for?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast