Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alan Rudkin

Default hey i know what happened

thats my grandad and hes fine last time i checked on him

love the man hes a ledge in my eyes

xKylex

Default Double vision.

I knew Alan when he drank in the Dingle with his dad Billy a very friendly lad and I liked him alo.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Saw a lot of Alan in the early 70s when my mate, Mick, was his head barman at The Vines. I was in there one night when Alan came back giggling. He'd just been told a story by a mate who ran a pub nearby.

His mate had sent a new member of staff out to get ?10 worth of 10p's. They were gone quite a while and when they came back he said 'where the hell have you been?' The staff member replied that they'd explain in a minute but did the manager have a couple of quid to pay the taxi?

Turned out they thought the manager had said ?10 worth of tinned peas. They'd been to a few shops before they could get that much and then needed a taxi to get them all back to the pub.

The very next night Bob Greaves repeated the story on TV. The story is quite well known now and most probably believe it is just an 'urban legend'. But I remember the day it happened!

Default alan rudkin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    There is an Alan Rudkin that is shown on the Electoral roll living off Hope Street. Now all we need to know is if he is healthy. Verdi has seen him not so long ago so thats a good sign. We need to preserve our living treasures as well as our material ones. Alan Rudkin, what a guy!
    spoke to alan last night he looks well and healthy. had a good chat about his boxing days and when he had the the big house,told us an old saying in boxing, first your legs go then your money then your wife.true

Quote Originally Posted by kai1986 View Post
    thats my grandad and hes fine last time i checked on him

love the man hes a ledge in my eyes

xKylex
    Hi kai1986

My Grandad was friends with your Grandad! His name was Ted Monk and he lived in Tottenham. I remember coming to stay at a pub Alan had in Speke in the 1970's with Grandad, Mum and Dad.

I have a picture on my dining room wall of Alan, Ted and Rocky Marciano. I remeber Grandad used to have 100s of them and handed them out all over the place! I was looking through some old stuff yesterday and decided to google Alan.

I'd love it if you mentioned to him Ted Monk's grand daughter was asking after him.

Jane

Hello Jane
    I'm Alan Rudkin Jnr. I knew your grandad since I was a little boy back in the late 60's. I've only got fond memories of him, he was a lovely man. I used to see him at the London ex boxers meetings back in the 90's. Me, my dad and my brother popped in to see him in Tottenham about 15 years ago. We had a lovely day reminiscing about the old days. I've recently put some of my dad's fights up on youtube and on one of them, the Ronnie Jones fight, you can hear Teds unmistakable voice shouting "Come on Alan".
    I hope your all well and I'll pass on your message to dad. I'll be seeing him later on today.
    Alan xx

Great to see him remembered on here.

What a lovely thread, Everyone knows Alan Rudkin. I only remember him from the telly. But in my younger days I used to love watching Boxing. Boxing doesnt seem the same anymore to me. Maybe its just me. ha ha. My middle daughters bf is an amateur boxer, he is only a wee 18 year old too. My neighbour Chris Firth used to box and even opened up a boxing shop in Prescot at one time. But thats all the connection I have with boxing. ha ha.

I remember Mick (McGinn). I just asked my dad about the peas. He remembers it . Bet you could get get a lot of peas for a tenner back then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
    I remember Mick (McGinn). I just asked my dad about the peas. He remembers it . Bet you could get get a lot of peas for a tenner back then.
    I think I probably met you - I was often in to see Mick and remember at least one child being around. And your mum, a Londoner, isn't she?

Sadly, Mick commited suicide about 5 or 6 years ago.

That's really sad news about Mick. I remember him as a young man, must of been in his early 20's, he always looked the part. I'll pass on the bad news to my mum and dad.
    Asked my mum about the peas last night. Apparently it was £20.00 pounds of 10p's and it was one of the cleaners from the Yates' who did it.
    Yes my mum is a Londoner but I would say she is a Scouser now 35 years later. Probably is me you remember, I'm the oldest. I'm 45 now. Where have all those years gone!

Blog Entries

Mick and I were mates for years but his drinking and womanising used to worry me - I could only match him for drinking! He got together with some wonderful women over the years, but always ended up straying and losing them.
    His ambition was always to join the army, like his big brother, Alan, but he kept getting turned down. Eventually, he was accepted. I was thrilled for him but he pretty much dropped off the face of the earth when he was accepted. I was at sea in those days so not around much myself.
    A few years on Mike contacted one of our old crowd and invited him out to Germany, where he was stationed. It didn't go well - Mike was married but drinking heavily.
    When he left the army he took a pub on, down south somewhere. He got into a lot of debt and gassed himself in his garage. I didn't hear about it until a few years later.
    I spent a lot of time with him during his teens and twenties and loved the guy, though he could be very unreliable. No matter how well things were going for him he always seemed to not be as happy as he should. And he always ended up spoiling relationships - he just couldn't settle. In many ways, he never got over his dad dying when he was about 11.
    Think of him often and very sad about the way his life ended.
    RIP Mick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
    Yes my mum is a Londoner but I would say she is a Scouser now 35 years later.
    Is she Cathy? Been trying to remember all day and that name has popped into my head.

Beryl wasn't it?

Very sad, I've just showed your post to my mum. She said he used to get depressed sometimes when we were in the "Big House". Such a shame. Your right my mum's name is Cathy and with a "C".
    I remember Mick once giving me a copy of "Lord of the Rings" and saying "read that, you'll love it. I'd a been about 10 at the time. I read it and he was right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast