Thread: T J Hughes - how died?

Default T J Hughes - how died?

Just doing some research on T J Hughes who died age 43 and it said that he died tragically - anyone know how he died. I know he thought he had an incurable disease but I understood he was mistaken. Did he turn out to be right after all or did he die some other way.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Julie

not a lot of info about is there?
    up to now I've found this snippet about his daughter

Shirley Hughes - Alfie, Dogger & Friends
    Saturday, May 17, 2003 - Monday, August 25, 2003

Shirley Hughes is best-loved for the children's book favourites, Alfie and Dogger. This wonderful illustrator and author was the daughter of Liverpool store owner TJ Hughes and was a regular visitor to Walker Art Gallery, where she found the paintings inspirational. Born and brought up in West Kirby, she studied at Liverpool School of Art and then at the Ruskin School, Oxford. This exhibition includes sketchbooks, drawings and paintings, and coincides with the release of her autobiography, 'A Life Drawing'.

I'll keep looking, might get lucky
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

JJB Boss (who took over tj's) Apparently committed suicide by Hanging himself from a tree, i think in 2002.
    Don't know bout original Mr. T J Hughes.

All I could find was the Owen Owen official history which said that he died in tragic circumstances aged 43.

You could send for his death certificate from the General Records Office.

thanks for that. I don't desperately need to know - it was for a walk I was doing which has passed now. I just wondered how he died so young.

Thomas J Hughes was born in 1888 and served his apprenticeship as a draper at Audley House, then owned by Owen Owen.
    Jun 3 2008
    by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

In October 1912 he set up his own business, TJ Hughes, at the corner of London Road and Norton Street.

People flocked for bargains, with shoppers snapping up items such as a bed for 19s 11d (99p).

Source: Liverpool Echo

95 years of bargains is celebrated in style
    Jun 3 2008
    by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL-BASED retail chain TJ Hughes celebrated 95 years in business with a huge party for its customers.

Shoppers joined staff at the London Road store on Saturday to mark more than nine decades of trading in the city.

Children enjoyed free face painting, birthday balloons and sweets, while a DJ entertained families in the jam-packed city centre shop.

There were also spot prizes and raffles to be won.

General manager Richard Hodgson said: “We’d like to say a big thank you to all our customers who came down to help us celebrate our 95th year as one of the oldest department stores in Liverpool.

“The day went brilliantly – better than we expected.”

Among those celebrating the company’s birthday is its longest-serving employee, John Leston from Liverpool.

Cashier John, who has worked at TJ Hughes for 43 years, said: “When I started many people had been taken on by TJ Hughes personally so I absorbed all the history.

“TJ Hughes started selling ladies’ blouses and children’s wear. He wanted everyone to be dressed better, even the poorer people.

“He was certainly a genius in the retail trade. The company is still following his philosophy which was to ‘buy dear and sell cheap’. And the store is still noted for its bargains today.”

John added: “People are very interested in how it all began.

“He started the shop with his life savings, with £150 he furnished the shop, stocked it and hired three assistants.”

Today, TJ Hughes has grown to 49 stores nationwide and employs 3,000 people.

Kim Beattie from TJ Hughes said: “It’s important to celebrate the past 95 years, not only because it is one of Liverpool’s most-loved retailers, but because it is special to generations of staff who have worked here.

“The day went fantastically well with staff and customers joining in with our celebrations.

“We had spot prizes every 15 minutes where customers could win toys, homewares and electrical goods.

“We also had raffles every hour on the hour, with people winning up to £500 in gift vouchers, this went down a storm with our customers.

“The store was extremely busy as customers anxiously waited for their tickets to be pulled out, we had over 40 winners on the day all enjoying and taking in the party atmosphere.”

Source: Liverpool Echo

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    JJB Boss (who took over tj's) Apparently committed suicide by Hanging himself from a tree, i think in 2002.
    Don't know bout original Mr. T J Hughes.
    Mr T J Hughes is buried in Anfield cemetary I know that.