Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speke Prefabs photos

They don't do shoe homes like this anymore. Pic by Keith Medley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefab showhome.jpg 
Views:	1229 
Size:	663.5 KB 
ID:	2112  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Sandgate road

I was searching the web for a prefab image to show my grandson when I picked up Brian Johnston's note about living in 11 Sandgate Road and nearly fell of my chair. Well you see I lived at number 12 from 1947 until 1967. I can recall that David Kydd lived at #7 , Margaret Flatley at #9 and The Johnston's at #11. There were 14 houses in the road as I recall

I maybe have some photos in my mothers collection of photographs in storage in London and I do remember one of the Coronation street parties with all of us kids on it.

I could probably still draw a map of the estate and recall Petworth Way and Sudbury way (where my Gran and aunt also lived) but maybe not the rest.

I've subscribed to the group and am amazed their is interest.

Blog Entries

I lived at 78 Dymchurch Rd from 1955 until 1961 and also went to Chrissies.
    We were the last line of prefabs before the big recreation field, then the airport. The playing field with the swings etc was directly in front of us.

The Johnsons, the Betleys and the Gerrards all lived within a few doors of us.

Default small world

well unbelievably, i lived in 76 Dymchurch Rd with my family.My name is David Jones.I lived there from birth 1958 till 1969 when we moved to Woodend lane in Speke.The Walsh family where on our left 74, the Johnsons on our right 78, ive got a pic of Mr Johnson in the garden who was a keen gardener ,the Gerrards next to them,then the Roberts,s Bettleys,Shaws, Birchalls.Ive got lots of pictures of the prefabs in the 60s .Ive got pictures of my tenth birthday party and Geoffrey Bettley was present.Ive got pictures of the field directly in front of our prefab and the veiw across the swing park and the surrounding prefabs.Pictures of when they were being demolished after moving some familys out.We were one of the last to leave the prefabs.Im still in touch with a few old residents like the Cook family who are still in Speke.These were the best days of my life.Ive just been looking thru the pics because my sister Wendy died very recently and she features in lots of the pics from the prefabs so i was tripping down memory lane.My mum and dad where{both deceased} Pat and Eddie Jones.My sisters and brothers all remember the prefabs with fondness.I will try and scan the pics and upload them if anyone is interested.I remember the place pretty well and lots of the residents names and where they lived.I can remember most of the Ways as they were called like,Bexhill,Tonbridge,Barnham,Petworth,Lydd,Lenha m,and the roads,Appledoore,Dymchurch,Sandgate.Did someone mention they had subscribed to a group on here?prefab group ?im interested if thats what it is,please let me know.There were two types of prefabs.The flat roof type which occupied most of Rycott Rd.These were made mainly of asbestos sheeting,very thin walls.These type stopped at the junction of Rycott rd and Dymchurch rd where the V type roofed prefab estate started.These were of a much sturdier construction built using breezeblock type of material encased in aliminium,and built in sections.They were awesome,i loved the place.
    Last edited by robione; 02-11-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: more info

Thumbs up

I never lived in Speke or the prefabs, but photo's of yesteryear I would love to see Robione, please get them scanned and on here, Martin

Bazzacat, if my memory serves me,the Broley family,or was that the Foley family i seem to remember a Gerrard tall thin lad,and possibly a Mark younger brother maybe,we are talking 39 yrs ago here so maybe my memory is a little jaded.I left the prefabs aged 11,but got some awesome memorys of the place.I will get the pics as mentioned,scanned and learn how to upload them,my daughter has my scanner currently on loan,but im on the case and hopefully it wont be to long for anyone interested to have a look.Incidently,theres a book out with some really good pics of the prefabs in Speke when the sports and recreation site was opened by the Mayor,because it ajions the site of the prefabs.Images of England-Around Speke-David Paul-ISBN-0-7524-0798-8.I remember the Martin family from Barnham Way,still see them occasionally,Gary, Rico, Keith.
    Last edited by robione; 02-11-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: to add more info on pictures

Default Speke prefabs

Hi robione,
    I started this prefab thread. As I said I lived in 11 Sandgate road
    from 1951 until 1959. My grandparents lived in Rycot road right oppposite the prefabs and my parents still live in Speke in Damwood road. I would be great to see any pictures of the prefabs especially Sandgate road if possible. There are no photos in Liverpool records office believe it or not. Look forward to seeing the photos. Anyone remember the wooden pavillion on the sports field and the smell of creosote and linement during the football season

Default those where the days my friend we thought they,de never end

Im on it sorting the pics out,small problem is they are in a very old picture album and each page has a cellophane like material covering the pics which due to time are stuck in pretty fast ,so gotta go slowly getting them out b4 can scan,The bad news theres no photos of Sandgate rd m8 sorry.But as previously mentioned here ,Anyone remember the wooden pavilion ? like it was yesterday m8,u gotta get the book i mentioned cos in it are some awesome photos of the pavilion and the prefabs.I used to play on it as a kid,and used to get the odd cup of tea off the watchman who i even remember his name as Bill,there where a few different watchmen.

Look forward to them robione.

these are on the Mersey-gateway site

Rycot Road, Speke 1947

Dymchurch Road
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Great pics robione.

Default Prefabs in Speke pictures

For those intersted in Prefab life in the 50s and 60s have a look at some of these of me and my family ,people are saying on the net theres no pics available anywhere

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i..._2008/Prefabs/

chippie

Yep robione, nice to look back on. I,ve been sent a couple of pics of shops from a relative, if she gives me permission to show them on her I,ll do it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robione View Post
    as promised heres the link to the speke prefab pictures ,hope it works

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i..._2008/Prefabs/
    Brilliant - what memories!

I remember Jenny - she'd be nearer my age than you were. The Johnsons at 78 must have moved in when we left as 78 is where we lived. Left in '61, but it might have been '60.
    The Bettley's in your photos aren't the ones I knew, they must have been the younger brothers. I'm pretty sure it was John, Malcolm and Nancy Bettley that I knew.

Thanks.

Default Speke prefabs

Hi robione,
    Wonderful pictures bringing back lovely memories of the prefabs and their surroundings. The whole atmosphere of those roads are evident in your photos. Pity there are non of Sandgate road! My mum and dad still live in Speke and everytime I pass that stretch of land where the prefabs where
    I try to gauge where the roads and prefabs were. It is difficult as there are no landmarks to go by apart from the back of the houses on School way which backed onto the prefabs. Do you think they left the foundations of the prefabs intact when they demolished them. If so they might give a clue
    as to the layout of the roads.

Johno

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast