Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speke Prefabs photos

Default speke prefabs

I was born in the prefabs in speke in the late 1950s (barham way) anyone remember them? there was a big playing feild with a swing park on it right outside my garden gate.

Hi I was born in the Sandgate road prefabs at the bottom of Appledore road Spekein 1951
    I am still looking for any photos of sandgate road prefabs. Was barnham way
    and the playing fields you mentioned opposite Speke Town Lane and the crescent. If so I walked past there every day on my way to St Christophers school.

Johno

I went to st christophers school as well, and yes it was around there. I've not been able to find any pictures of the prefabs in speke either and I've been looking for ages. Although I did do a google search and found some pictures of prefabs in other areas of Liverpool.
    Last edited by bigpab; 03-10-2007 at 12:32 PM.

My gran lived in Stocktonwood, my aunt lived in the prefabs, that part of speke awas really nice, the cresent, the library.
    I had family in Lovell, Hale Road and down by the Orient.

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/pastli.../different.htm

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/t...1600/index.htm

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Default Speke prefabs

Hi Folks,
    Yes the were simple and carefree days in the prefabs. St Christophers was a longwalk from Sangate road especially in the winter. Do you remember the teachers in St Chrissies. Mr Brown, Mr Garnett, and Mr Ireland and having to stand perfectly still when the whistle went at the end of break otherwise you would get the stick . Discipline ruled.
    Johno

It was a long walk! I remember a teacher called miss bleese she used to hit you on the knuckles with a bunch of keys or some wooden rulers if you did something wrong. Did you have to wear a school cap?

Bigpab. Found one of Rycot rd, Speke in Freddy O'Connor's - My city - my heritage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rycot rd speke prefabs.jpg 
Views:	2339 
Size:	598.9 KB 
ID:	1738  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Nice one Ged that takes me back

Default Speke prefabs

Nice one,
    Those prefabs`were right opposite my grandmas house in Rycot road. I remember them well.Yes I remember Miss Blease, everyone was scared of her. she taught elocution lessons after school to those kids who were presumably upwardly mobile and wanted to lose their scouse accents
    Yes`the St Chrissies uniform was ablue blazer and cap and no I dont have any pictures.

Johno

I've got one of when I was in the infants at st chrisses and I look a right T**T and no I'am not showing it to you!

My mother in law grew up there, the Broley family. Worked on the buses and Metal Box. Went for a look around a while back, theres new houses on the site.

Default Speke prefabs/metal box factory

Bazzacat,

My father Frederick Johnson worked in the metal box for about 40 yrs. He was a printer by trade worked on printing packages like food cartons.
    It's a small world.

It is indeed. Below is part of an RAF photo of the area, 1948, which shows some of the prefabs, and a still camoflaged factory.

My dad got a job as the club steward at the dunlop social club in speke.

Default speke prefabs

Fantastic Bazzacat,
    Sandgate road was the third row up from the bottom in the middle row Number 11 was the third house in from the left. First time I ve
    seen that in over 40 years. My mother and father will be pleased. Pity we have'nt got the facliity to zoom in on the houses.
    Bigpac,
    I worked in Dunlops from about 1968 to 1970 spent many a saturday afternoon and night in the club honing my snooker skills there. Must have seen your dad. What was the name of the guy who used to introduce the acts on a saturday night. he wore a full dinner suite, can't remember his name.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast