Thread: Freight

Default Freight

I'm just looking at the current rail freight situation on MT's Rail Freight Strategy 2006.

It states that "network is capacity is currently assessed as around 16 to 18 paths per day" in reference to the Bootle - Edge Hill Line.

Does anyone know why this is, or even further, can anyone enlighten me with some useful information on the current rail freight system on Merseyside?

Even if it's just minor facts and figures, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Eg, what times do they move and why can't we look at allowing them to run for longer periods of the day?

I believe the North Mersey Branch can play a role in rail freight, but there'd have to be some sort of goods station built near Aintree Station and I'm not sure if that'd be feasible.

Anyways, interesting topic.

Ah. I read on and it seems as though the main problem for the restriction of journeys on the NLE was because of the whole "reversing" problem at Edge Hill. Now the Olive Mount Chord has been approved, surely this will pave the way for better utilisation of this line.

Blog Entries

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2662

The DfT’s £1.7m grant is a small slice of £132m for rail improvements into ports announced by the department yesterday.

Much bigger grants will go to Felixstowe, in Suffolk, (£80m), Southampton (£43m) and the Humber (£8m)

The south get it all again. £80 million to our £1.7 million. They still have it in for us.

50% of containers that enter Felixstowe head for north of Birmingham. Why are they spending all this money when Liverpool needs to supply the containers to local markets?
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-14-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

It's actually caused by the lack of signals between Edge Lane and Seaforth. So each line can only have on train on it at a time - over it's entire length.

I remember reading that there were 'reversing-sidings' at Tuebrook ?
    Can anyone provide more information : how they operated; their demise ?

http://www.8arail.fsnet.co.uk/ has details of freight-movements on Merseyside,photo-locations etc. First-rate !
    Last edited by andyk; 03-14-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    [i]The DfT’s £1.7m grant is a small slice of £132m for rail improvements into ports announced by the department yesterday. ...
    I'm told that work began track laying at Olive Mount Junction last Sunday. Probably photos ops for at least another one or two Sundays methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBlack View Post
    I'm told that work began track laying at Olive Mount Junction last Sunday. Probably photos ops for at least another one or two Sundays methinks.
    There have been no trains on Sundays between Lime Street and Huyton for a good few Sundays now Also yesterday, the crossover was completed between the two existing lines (alledgedly).

Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    I remember reading that there were 'reversing-sidings' at Tuebrook ?
    Can anyone provide more information : how they operated; their demise ?

http://www.8arail.fsnet.co.uk/ has details of freight-movements on Merseyside,photo-locations etc. First-rate !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...=16&iwloc=addr

Trains come from the far right, under Stephenson Way, and run into the sidings next to the running lines. The engine runs around and takes the train back in the direction it came from, but onto the branch which you can see passing under Wavertree Avenue.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...=18&iwloc=addr

The current works will stop the need to run around, and stop the need to cross the existing running lines to ge into the sidings.