Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lark Lane History

Measure twice, cut once. jeffthejoiner's Avatar

Default Lark Lane History

Hi all, I'm new to all this so please forgive me with me if I've posted in the wrong place.
    I am attending a local history class and have chosen as my end of course project 'Lark Lane its History and People'. I'd would be very grateful for any information you guys may have regarding this , I am particluarly interested in the Lanes birth and early development.
    Cheers
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffthejoiner View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to all this so please forgive me with me if I've posted in the wrong place.
    I am attending a local history class and have chosen as my end of course project 'Lark Lane its History and People'. I'd would be very grateful for any information you guys may have regarding this , I am particluarly interested in the Lanes birth and early development.
    Cheers
    Jeff.
    Jeff, You should get all the info you need from the Lark Lane Website, Try; larklane.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Jeff, You should get all the info you need from the Lark Lane Website, Try; larklane.com
    Also see: http://www.toxteth.net
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

PhilipG

Griifiths' History of Toxteth Park is still about the only old source for all that area.
    It's about 100 years old now, and it's been reprinted, and is available in all local libraries.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Griifiths' History of Toxteth Park is still about the only old source for all that area.
    It's about 100 years old now, and it's been reprinted, and is available in all local libraries.
    Paul Christian at Toxteth.net found many minor inaccuracies in the book. Paul traced the boundary of Toxteth himself in detail and his boundary on the site map is the most accurate one. The line even runs through the back room of the Royal pub in Smithdown Rd.

how it once was?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Paul Christian at Toxteth.net found many minor inaccuracies in the book. Paul traced the boundary of Toxteth himself in detail and his boundary on the site map is the most accurate one. The line even runs through the back room of the Royal pub in Smithdown Rd.
    Paul Christian shouldn't be considered an expert, though.
    I agree that the boundary he's done is very good, but he's been too busy to do anything to toxteth.net since July 2006.
    Prior to that I sent him a lot of corrections.
    Griffiths himself updated his book about 1923, and while it's not perfect, it's more accurate than toxteth.net (which quotes it wholesale, anyway).
    I wouldn't have mentioned any of this if Waterways hadn't posted the above.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Paul Christian shouldn't be considered an expert, though.
    I agree that the boundary he's done is very good, but he's been too busy to do anything to toxteth.net since July 2006.
    Prior to that I sent him a lot of corrections.
    Griffiths himself updated his book about 1923, and while it's not perfect, it's more accurate than toxteth.net (which quotes it wholesale, anyway).
    I wouldn't have mentioned any of this if Waterways hadn't posted the above.
    I'd be quite interested to know what the mistakes are Phil.

Measure twice, cut once. jeffthejoiner's Avatar

Smile

Thanks for the replies guys I've already looked at the websites and book you recommend all of which are sadly lacking in any detail of Lark Lane but I'll keep trying. I've been given the name of someone at the SMLLCA who may be able to help, I'll keep you posted. Jeff

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I'd be quite interested to know what the mistakes are Phil.
    Hardly any, really.
    That's the point I'm making.
    The only glaring one I can think of Griffiths saying Roscoe lived at a certain house, on Ullet Road, next to The Elms.
    I rate Griffiths very highly, and local historians owe him a lot.

Like Wikipedia, toxteth.net is a combination of a lot of people's inputs.
    One article can have contributions by perhaps three people and it's not made clear who said what.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-28-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Default history

Hi
    my mum and family were born in lark lane way back in the 1900 s Mum says that the lane was a small village when she was a child also mosley hill and garston .There was not the transport link s to connect the areas . She has spoken a lot about the lane ,if you have any particular questions i can ask her .Not holding out much hope now as she is 91

I can't help with the birth and early development, but I lived there from the mid '60s to mid '70s if I can help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lynne stewart View Post
    Hi
    my mum and family were born in lark lane way back in the 1900 s Mum says that the lane was a small village when she was a child also mosley hill and garston .There was not the transport link s to connect the areas . She has spoken a lot about the lane ,if you have any particular questions i can ask her .Not holding out much hope now as she is 91
    St. Michael's station was still there then, as were trams down Aigburth Rd. Dingle underground Overhead station was a few trams stops away. I would say the transport was better then.

how it once was?

Default hello Lynne

I too lived in Siddeley st just a few doors down, i then also lived in Langham, i remember the bread shop sugar and spice and the wonderful smells, miss pearsons penny tray but i've yet to discover a shop that made better cornish pasties than stevensons.
    Miss Mayor had a cat that sat on the sides of bacon. I remember collecting jam jars you got a penny for four.
    Hoggs dairy was really with it, there was a milk machine outside the shop in little Parkfield 6d for half a carton of milk/strawberry milk.

God the smell from the pig swill in Little Parkfield Rd used to make me ill, My friend lived in an annex in Little Parkfield his parents owned a large house actually in Parkfield Rd & the little house was attatched at the back .

Karen

Default Lark Lane

The smell was probably from Hogg's dairy next to were we took the jam jars.
    Macfarlin was on the corner of little parkfield and Lark Lane, we would carry the battery from the radio to his shop to get it charged. opposite was Deckers were you bought coal bricks and pink paraffin, imagine today asking your kids to carry paraffin, a leaky battery or taking a lemonade bottle back. The bue bird chippy was opposite the Albert, and the corner of Sefton Grove was an exclusive pran shop similar to Pollocks in Renshaw St, a big coachbuilt pram was always on display in the upper window.
    We would play for hours on the plantation, were the day centre is now, it must have been laid out into a lawned area as the middle had a circular path, there were also many easy to climb trees.
    the 60 bus terminus was just behind the huge bus shelter, and Numan's travel agency was were Akis bar is now, shows you how wealthy the area once was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast