Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lark Lane History

Default Lark Lane

Hi everybody , I used to live in Bickerton Street number 55 right at the bottom , I too remeber hogs dairy, Macfarlanes bike shop, which later became Wrights cobblers. also as we called her Maggie Mare, a filthy shop if ever there was one, I used to help out with Thwates dairy delivering milk , and a lot of people used to have jugs which was filled from a churn, Stevensons was the best bakery around, and we had Cheers greengrocery shop at the top of Bickerton Street, and we also used to play on the plantation, and the bakers field around in Livingston Drive, I was a member of the 26th Toxteth scout group, also used to help out in the horse repository which belonged to a Mr Rabinowitz, but run by Billy Owens. O such memories, If I can be of any help dont hesitate to E mail me . I have only happy memories about the Lane . Although I have been living in Australia for the last 30 yrs, but hope to return for good one day. Cheers Keith Draper.

Great memories loobyloo and kdraer
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thumbs up Lark Lane history

I remember Lark Lave vividly. I grew up on Roslyn Street (bottom of the dip in Aigburth Road). As kids we always used Lark Lane to get to Sefton Park. Eventually I courted and married a girl who lived in #113 right across from the "Albert" pub. Back then it was a greengrocers shop next door to a chippy, now I believe it is a hairdressers. As you went up the lane there used to be a high end butcher who often had Partridge, Grouse, Pheasant and Rabbits hanging there on display (I believe it was called "Glendennings"). My wife and I lived in 113 until her parents died and we bought our own house house. Eventually going to Canada and then the USA.

#113 was over 100 years old when we lived there in 1960. My wife tells me the lane was there to service the needs of Lord Sefton (after whom the Park was named). As a kid she says there used to be a number of horse drawn carts going up and down the lane. Originally the park had iron railings surrounding it with large iron gates that were closed at the end of the day - they went for the war effort and were meted down for building tanks and guns.

in Australia and we correspond several times a week. If you need more info I will get him to write you.

Hi,and welcome to Yo, Scouser21! Interesting to hear how the lane has changed,but do you remember a gun shop,which I think was there until about 25 yrs ago?

Hiya ,
    I remember the gun shop ,

I also remember a lad Nathan killing himself , playing Russion Roulette in a flat in the La ,
    So sad .

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Hiya ,
    I remember the gun shop ,

I also remember a lad Nathan killing himself , playing Russion Roulette in a flat in the La ,
    So sad .

Karen
    Hi k,
    was there any connection? It was the only gun shop I've ever come across,in fact,I thought I was seeing things,when I looked in the window!That was in the 70's/80's,when I thought the lane still seemed to have a villagey feel to it!

Hiya ,
    I'm not too sure if it was connected or not , Nathan was only around 17yrs old .
    I remember walking past the shop every day thinking who'd want to buy a gun .

as your walking up the lane to the park gates ,the shop was on the left hand side .

Karen

Yes I too remember the horse and carts, the coal man , greengrocery man, the milk man, and even the bin cart, which used to be emptied in the council yard on the corner of Little Parkfield Road, opposite Macfarlians, and another which people will not believe Stevensons the cake shop had their flour delivered by a steam lorry, on thinking back its drive must have been similar to steam rollers. My earliest memory of Sefton Park was being taken there , and all along the jockey sands as we called it , there where all sorts of army vehicles, jeeps, tanks, etc all being stored there( it was just after the war) also the day a crane arrived in our street with a big steel ball on it to knock down all the air raid shelters in the middle of the street. The Lane has certainly changed from when I lived there, I will be home again this Summer so I will give it a visit. Cheers Keith.

I started my married life living just off the lane.

I had a flat in Ivanhoe Road. On the corner of Parkfield.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

i lived in Marmion

xx
    Karen

And I lived in Hadassah Grove! (left it in 1963!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    And I lived in Hadassah Grove! (left it in 1963!!)
    Hi Norm,always wondered how that got it's name?

Hadassah. Hebrew name for Esther meaning "the star of hope"
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Hadassah. Hebrew name for Esther meaning "the star of hope"
    Thanks for that Bernie,but still an unusual street name,dont you think? Are there any similar names nearby?

Blog Entries

In Liverpool for 3 days next week and having a night out on Lark Lane with a couple of old mates, just like we used to do 30 years ago.

The locals will think an episode of Last of the Summer Wine is being filmed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast