Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool in the 70s

Default Falkner Street

Yeah, I was brought up around this area. A bit of a no-mans-land as far as pictures go.

The view was indeed looking east up Falkner Street up past Grove Street and towards the Falkner Estate (now the site of the Womens Ozzy) up on towards Windsor Gardens, the factory that made biscuit dough, and Crown Street Coal yard. At the top of Falkner Street was a Marble Works (can't quite remember the name) but it was there for years - might have been called Wilsons). It was at the bottom of Overbury Street.

There was an Adventure Playground, which was basically a pile of rubble enclosed by a concrete wall and this had pictures of Super Heroes painted on the walls. This is now the site of the Abercromby Health centre.

Further up on the left was Myrtle House, Crown Street (with the old water fountain prominent on the road island) and St Saviours School.

Oh, the memories. Thanks for posting, its great la!

Hey goldenface
    You say you were brought up in this area-what period would that be-60's , seventies??? Have you any old pics i can view-i am trying to get pics of egerton street area for my friend who used to live on there in the 60's.
    brilliant pics danesis-could look at them all day-did not realise so much had been demolished too.

Hi DaisyChains,

I have followed the link for photobucket that danensis kindly put on the site. However, I cant see any of Windsor St. is it me or am I looking in the wrong place?

There are some good pics of the Liverpool 8 area on facebook just type in Dingle Liverpool 8, there are some I have put of Windsor Street and the surrounding area, as I too used to live in the area too (Hodges Mount). Where about are you from?

Christine

Lived in L8 when I was a kid (60s), moved out in 70s and didn't really go back. Four years ago I got a job in a school in L8. It was like coming home. I love L8 and the community. There is so much history in this area.

Default Egerton Street - Falkner Estate

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Hey goldenface
    You say you were brought up in this area-what period would that be-60's , seventies??? Have you any old pics i can view-i am trying to get pics of egerton street area for my friend who used to live on there in the 60's.
    brilliant pics danesis-could look at them all day-did not realise so much had been demolished too.
    Hi Shirley,

yeah I lived on the Falkner Estate from 1974 up until 1988 after which it was demolished.

Not many pics about I'm afraid although I have seen some good ones of Egerton Street. I'll try and see if I can find them again for you.

Sorry, the confusion over Windsor Street was my fault - I thought the view up Falkner Street might have been a view down Windsor Street towards Entwhistle Heights.

I take it you've seen my pictures of Egerton street on the jubilee thread?

John

Fantastic pics, thanks for posting. They took me right back with a jolt. That inflatable bouncy snake thing looks really familiar.

70s pic

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    Fantastic pics, thanks for posting. They took me right back with a jolt. That inflatable bouncy snake thing looks really familiar.
    I remember when I first started helping out at the Blackie they were still trying to produce inflatables using plastic welders and all sorts of ingeneous ideas. Its amazing how things like adhesives have developed over the last thirty years or so.

John

The amount of times I've bounced off one of those inflatable and nearly killed my self doesn't even bear thinking about ha ha ha. Any idea what year those pictures were taken John?

That's a beaut of a pic underworld. Where's it from, any credit to anyone - never seen it before?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Here you go Ged.

This was taken in St. Vincent Street just behind the Swan pub on London Road, and Seymour street falling down in the background.

I took this sometime in 1977.

That's a good un H. As you may have gathered, I like the mundane shots, that's a compliment by the way. There must be 3 million to choose from of the Liver or cathedral but I like these long lost views. I spy a MK 1 Cortina, Capri and Morris 1100 too.

What made you take it though?

Well my Grandad used to live St Vincent street and we used to play right there mate, bursting tar bubbles on the road in the summer with a matchstick, and getting a telling off when we got in.

'Bully' for you - if you get what I mean

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast