Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Toxteth District

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    ^^ 'CatheRRine Mews' with 2 'r's...fancy putting a spelling mistake on a sign directing customers to the show house. Prices from £235,000.
    This link shows a few interesting developments including Ullet Grange for a whopping £980,000
    http://www.suttonkersh.co.uk/
    Thanks for the link marky, I've just flicked through some of the conversions/ redevelopments - excellent to see the buildings being converted, rather than staying in states of disrepair.

A luck time for people moving into Liverpool and from within. 'Where do I move? New City Center apartment or a 2 bed apartment in an old converted Liverpool house in the suburbs?'

Decisions decisions.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Liverpool Maps 1910

Interesting 1910 map showing Liverpool and its environs

http://contueor.com/baedeker/great_b...(environs).htm

Also central Liverpool Map

http://contueor.com/baedeker/great_b.../liverpool.htm

They are really good clear maps Taffy, thanks.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Attack of the Seagulls, Sefton Street

I've noticed recently that Gulls swoop down to within a few feet of pedestrians, between the former Harry Ramsdens building and the Naval base, Sefton Street.
    This section of Liverpool is the only place I know where this happens.
    So if you see Gulls on top of the former 'Seven Steps' pub, or you hear squawking then watch out.

DaisyChains

These sights are really sad to me.
    I used to go to the old doctors on Mill Street (now around the corner)
    Does anyone have any pics of the old medical centre on Mill Street?
    I would go into the chemist opposite too ...now empty....the red building on pic 1

I wonder if there are any plans for this block?

The whole of Mill Street looks awful these days.
    There is so much waste land and the buildings are tatty and worn,if not derelict.

Wotcha DC, re the buildings in your pictures in Mill Street, the chemist was the old Park Palace picture house. I beleive this has had an arts grant, and is getting revamped as a theatre. Phill will no doubt enlighten you on the history.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Wotcha DC, re the buildings in your pictures in Mill Street, the chemist was the old Park Palace picture house. I beleive this has had an arts grant, and is getting revamped as a theatre. Phill will no doubt enlighten you on the history.
    I can't remember if I've covered the Park Palace in the "Some Liverpool Cinemas" thread, but I'll check and if not I'll do a piece.
    I think DaisyChains has my book and it's in there, anyway.
    It's news to me about the arts grant. (Do you know any more?).
    The Park Palace has the oldest theatrical interior in Liverpool, but from what I've heard there's not much left.

Princes Park and Devonshire Road are the oddest (in a nice sense) convergences of wealth, poverty, and ethnic mix. Sunnyside is one of the most beautiful Georgian and Victorian home communities in England. Because I live there I relish two little quirk indulgences. When I first moved here a lady friend (Belfast) expressed horror that life had treated me so harshly that I was compelled to live in Toxteth. The pictures I sent here elicited a grovelling apology.
    And, when I receive visitors from elsewhere we stroll out of my home and around Princes Park. While they watch the facades, the gardens and the parklands; the lake, bird life, and old carriageways I watch their jaws drop and their eyes grow like saucers. Well, everyone is allowed their small innocent pleasures.
    Incidently, I am privileged to live in the same house Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are said to have stayed at when visiting the Second City of the Empire.
    Yes, privileged indeed. My only other comment is that an attitude problem seems to create or destroy an area's facade. Check the properties around here (elsewhere too) and the windows and doorways will accurately reflect who lives there and whether they have pride in their surroundings or not. It is not a council problem, it is a people problem.

Blog Entries

an excellent post Michael
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

yes, a very nice description Miguel. I used to visit a friend who lived in Sunnyside.

Hi Michael,
    your post reminded me of a fairly well travelled friend,who always carried some photo's, of various sights, and buildings, in,and around Liverpool. He used to show them to people he met, and usually,if not always, he would ask them to guess where they might be, but none ever guessed right!! There was amazement when he revealed that it was, in fact, Liverpool.One way of dispelling negative impressions

PhilipG

Hello Michael.
    Sunnyside is indeed very nice.
    A friend once had a flat in number 7.
    It was built in the 1850s, so is Victorian.
    It's news to me that Queen Victoria and Albert ever stayed there.
    Do you know the details?
    Prince Albert died in 1861.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    These sights are really sad to me.
    I used to go to the old doctors on Mill Street (now around the corner)
    Does anyone have any pics of the old medical centre on Mill Street?
    I would go into the chemist opposite too ...now empty....the red building on pic 1

I wonder if there are any plans for this block?

The whole of Mill Street looks awful these days.
    There is so much waste land and the buildings are tatty and worn,if not derelict.
    Have you been recently? I think both Mill Street and Park Road are looking better than they have done for many a year with all the new pavements, street furniture etc. Mill Street still has more vacant areas but overall, I think that whole area has turned a corner and its future is bright.

Hi Philip. My home is owned by the local music legends, husband and wife team, 'The Real Thing.' They're are great standard bearers of property development these days.
    When I moved in Sylvia who loves this place told me she had done some research on No.9 'The Mews' when she bought it. She didn't go into detail; always on the move is Sylvia; but she told me there was evidence to suggest that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert stayed here as the guests of the then owners.
    Until the 1950s or 60s an internationally renowned cancer research consultant lived here, whose name escapes me. (sorry). The house fell into disrepair until Sylvia licked it into beautiful shape. People like Sylvie and Eddie don't get the publicity they deserve.
    Apparently The Mews was the original manor to which the existing Sunnyside Drive leads. I thought the original owner must have been into shipping but no; alas I can't remember what she said on that one. When Ullet Road was a country lane (imagine) he bought his daughter a manor there, as a wedding gift.
    War is the terrorism of the rich... Terrorism is the war of the poor. - Peter Ustinov

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Have you been recently? I think both Mill Street and Park Road are looking better than they have done for many a year with all the new pavements, street furniture etc. Mill Street still has more vacant areas but overall, I think that whole area has turned a corner and its future is bright.
    Hi
    I pass Mill Street nearly every day.
    I think it looks drab.
    the block with the sunbed shop and the off license is ok, but after that it is a shadow of it's former self.
    There are some interesting little gems around there but I think it needs a massive facelift.
    The area around there and leading to Grafton Street too.
    It's like the land that time forgot down there!
    Park Road does look alot better than it has done for years.
    Pity the market has gone.
    But my mum told me that Tesco have bought the post office and the old MECCA bingo site and are going to convert it into one massive supermarket.
    The post office is supposedly shutting.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast