Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Toxteth District

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways
    Totally and utterly wrong. See:
    http://www.toxteth.net

Paul mapped out the boundaries of Toxteth from the ancient maps - he walked it. His map shows the complete and correct boundary of Toxteth. He corrected mistakes in the boundary too. Yes, and parts of "Mossley Hill" are in Toxteth.
    No, only anything thats L8 is Toxteth.

Paul's maps aren't done very well, hard to find the locations.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Leroy Cooper, Artist and Photographer

Photographs of Liverpool and artwork by the man whose arrest sparked the Toxteth riots.

On 3rd July 1981 the arrest of Leroy Cooper on Selborne Street brought out an angry crowd of locals.

In the fracas that followed three police officers were injured. The following night full scale rioting broke out in Toxteth. In the days that followed hundreds of police officers were injured and CS gas was deployed for the first time on mainland Britain.

Gun Play (c) Leroy Cooper

Leroy Cooper admits that after his arrest it would have been easy for him to become just another local thug, or to follow the same path in to criminality as Curtis Warren. He says that given the economic and social situation in Liverpool at the time he could have easily have chosen to follow this road. Instead he was inspired to pursue a career in the arts.

He appeared as a performance poet on several TV documentaries and dabbled in DJ-ing. As a graffiti artist he took to painting street signs in Toxteth red, yellow and green, the colour of Rastafarian culture. He called it an Urban Installation.

View Leroy Coopers Photos >

He also took photographs. Lots of them. For twenty two years Leroy Cooper has taken pictures of Liverpool as well as travelling abroad on what he calls ‘photographic missions’ to other cities.

View Leory Coopers Art >

His collection now numbers over 150,000 images and offers a glimpse of his life in Liverpool since the mid 1980’s.

Leroy’s photographs of life through the 1980’s and 90’s chronicle what he calls ‘A Secret Life of Liverpool’.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    No, only anything thats L8 is Toxteth.

Paul's maps aren't done very well, hard to find the locations.
    Nope. Toxeth is anything inside the ancient Toxteth Park. The maps are excellent. They are interactive. Click on the arrows and pictures come up. Click on the green borders and the next map cell comes up.

The exact boudary is there.

Cash crisis threat to race unit
    Jul 6 2006
    TWENTY FIVE YEARS ON - TOXTETH RIOTS REMEMBERED: Race relations are still delicate, as Mike Chapple discovers
    Daily Post

A FRONTLINE organisation tackling racial problems in Liverpool faces collapse due to a lack of funding.

Formed in the aftermath of the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry, the Merseyside Racial Harassment Prevention Unit says a lack of financial support, especially from the local authorities and police who depend on its services, has led to the situation.

Edward Murphy, director of the charity Liverpool Network for Change which oversees the unit's work, claims the crisis is bitterly ironic considering it coincides with one of the worst periods for Liverpool's black and ethnic communities since the disturbances in Toxteth.

More...

Nope. Toxeth is anything inside the ancient Toxteth Park. The maps are excellent. They are interactive. Click on the arrows and pictures come up. Click on the green borders and the next map cell comes up.

The exact boudary is there.
    His map index is too small to find the area quickly.

His maps have something called Toxteth dock now?

Toxteth is only L8 now.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

His map index is too small to find the area quickly.
    I don't find any problems with it.

His maps have something called Toxteth dock now?
    Yep. The map is from 1906. Toxteth Dock still exists if you excavate. The name Toxteth Dock still exists. There has been two Toxteth Docks - all this is to go into the site. He also goes into Toxteth history - Toxteth has largely changed twice in my lifetime and is still changing. The site is far from complete and will be 10 times what it is now when fully in place and will always be changing and being added to as time moves on. If you have something constructive to give, a piece on history, photos (not personal snaps of people, but could be, say a street party for say the 1966 world cup win) and the likes, Paul will be grateful.

If you don't like parts of the site, tell Paul as at times he is too close to it to see aspects that may confuse others. If you can add value and be constructive instead of whinging then contribute. You will be most welcome.

I have contributed much to it and corrected many inaccuracies. There is much work to do on the dock and shipbuilding history of Toxteth (a number of American Confederate raiders were built in Toxteth, and the last lowering of the Confederate flag was mid river between Toxteth and Tranmere by CSS Shenandoah surrendering to HMS Donegal. All this is world history not just local. Have a look at the piece on the Mersey Forge and the Horsfall Gun.

Toxteth.net is the most comprehensive web site on any district of any town or city in the world, and it will be far larger than what it is.

Toxteth is only L8 now.
    In your world yes.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-07-2006 at 09:54 AM.

No in the modern world.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

No in the modern world.
    You are from Wavetree and what you thought was a part of Wavertree is actually Toxteth. In fact the city has signs saying Toxteth at various point (one is half way down Penny Lane), which are about right in most cases. Toxteth is well Toxteth. Either it is or it isn't - in your mind the borders are elastic to suit your perception. See toxeth.net for the border - they are the red dotted lines on the map.

I am dropping then point with you as you a lost case.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-07-2006 at 09:18 PM.

You are from Wavetree and why you thought was Wavertree is actually Toxteth. In fact the city has signs saying Toxteth at various point (one is half way down Penny Lane), which are about right in most cases. Toxteth is well Toxteth. Either it is or it isn't - in your mind the borders are elastic to suit your perception. See toxeth.net for the border - they are the red dotted lines on the map.

I am dropping then point with you as you a lost case.
    In these Modern times, only anything thats L8 is Toxteth.

One part of the map thinks Smithdown and some of L7 is.

It borders my street as Toxteth too, no way. My area is no doubt Wavertree.

I am never a lost case.People use that as an excuse when someone refuses to agree with them.

Most of the pubs on there are Wavertree.
    Last edited by Max; 07-07-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

I used to live off Beaumont St at the time of the riots,
    we used to sneak out of the house & watch the riots or watch it from my bedroom window if we got caught
    I remember my dad & mum coming back home after a night out covered in blood they had been in a taxi but the driver would only go as far as Grove St when they got out a gang jumped the driver almost killing him my dad then helped him & managed to get him to safety
    I also remember going to see a fire at myrtle gardens when a gang pushed cars at the firemen who tried to escape by climbing over the corrigated iron surrounding the flats

Mandy

Communities at the centre of new Toxteth
    Jul 7 2006
    Continuing our week-long series on the 25th anniversary of the Toxteth Riots, David Higgerson meets one of the men tasked with turning the area around
    Daily Post

ASK a regeneration expert in Manchester whether the bomb which ripped through the city in 1996 turned out to a be a turning point, and they wince.

Many want to say - and indeed some do - but it goes against the grain to say acts of terrorism can be good for the place in which they were planted.

So asking Max Steinberg, a Liverpudlian through and through, whether, in hindsight, the Toxteth riots in 1981 had any positive effect for the city, and he's in a similar position.

Yet his answer is surprisingly candid: "What I think it showed was that there were real problems which needed to be addressed."

"Those problems manifested themselves in a certain way, which the Government of the time had to do something about."

More...

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176
    I used to live off Beaumont St at the time of the riots,
    we used to sneak out of the house & watch the riots or watch it from my bedroom window if we got caught
    I remember my dad & mum coming back home after a night out covered in blood they had been in a taxi but the driver would only go as far as Grove St when they got out a gang jumped the driver almost killing him my dad then helped him & managed to get him to safety
    I also remember going to see a fire at myrtle gardens when a gang pushed cars at the firemen who tried to escape by climbing over the corrigated iron surrounding the flats

Mandy

Oooof!!! ..

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    "Those problems manifested themselves in a certain way, which the Government of the time had to do something about."
    He ain't kidding is he ?

does "waterways" happen to be the same person as John MK that was on the Skyscraper forum? i remember him instigating that same toxteth boundary argument on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    does "waterways" happen to be the same person as John MK that was on the Skyscraper forum? i remember him instigating that same toxteth boundary argument on there?
    Yes, I think so.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast