Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Toxteth District

Where has the money gone?
    Jul 8 2006
    ENDING our week of coverage marking the 25th anniversary of the Toxteth riots, City Editor Larry Neild offers a personal perspective on the efforts to regenerate the area
    Daily Post

SINCE the Toxteth Riots of 1981 more than £400m has been poured into the Liverpool 8 area in regeneration and renewal schemes.

In real terms, that would equate to the amount of money Grosvenor is investing in the heart of the city centre, creating 1.5m square feet of shops, leisure facilities, hotels, parkland, designed by some of the world's leading architects.

It poses the question: "Has Toxteth been short changed?"

More...

Any pictures of this Granby Triangle design?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I was around Lodge Lane last week, and i have to say, more needs to be done apart from re-invent shutters. The area is full of bare patches of waste land FGS! Once a grand victorian throughfare, it is now degraded and miserable. The 60's estates that border onto it do little for the area too.

I wish that the city would try and re-build our throughfares so that they resemble what they were like back in their hey-day. I saw that something is being done on Kensington but most of that is just a clean up rather than a re-build.

We need to take a look at what these great victorian throughfares can offer. Most of these buildings are full of architectural spender, especially where windows and guttering is concerned and where there are gaps, we should fill them in with buildings that are in keeping with their surrounds. Not some plain brick building or some tacky glass and metal structure. The latter may look great in the CBD, but in the suburbs and surrounded by terraces, they look horrible!

Hope I make sense!

The same around Anfield. Oakfield rd, Breck rd, Townsend lane. All in a terrible state of decline.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Yes. Walton Breck Road still has a side of a commercial building patched up with some sort of rippled material. It's been like that for more than a year now!

Blog Entries

There is sadly little else worth snappng on Lodge Lane, a project like this seem to be confined to the Sefton Park end.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

MERSEYSIDE’S massive housing renewal scheme has seen the first families move into their new homes.

The Clevedon Park development in Toxteth is the first of the government’s housing market renewal projects to hand over keys to new residents.

Clevedon Park, off Byles Street, provides 107 new homes, including shared ownership schemes where people can buy up to 75% of the property.

Of the 45 homes available for outright sale, almost all have gone to families already living in the area.

Among the first to move in were Mary and Steven Graham, who had previously lived in Kinmel Street in the Welsh Streets.

They bought a three-bedroom property at Clevedon Park to share with children Andrew and Gillian, dog Rolo and Fly the rabbit.

Mrs Graham said: “I was keen to stay in this area having spent the last 26 years in Kinmel Street and it was important to keep my children in their current schools.

“It is also great that we kept the community together as so many of my friends from the Welsh Streets have moved to this development and my children's friends are all still here.

“My brother has also bought a new house at Clevedon Park.”
    The development was a partnership between Gleeson Homes, Liverpool city council, the Housing Corporation and NewHeartlands.

Mrs Graham said: “We never had a back garden when we lived in Kinmel Street, so we’re looking forward to next summer when we can have a barbecue.”

Another new resident is Marie Harris, who has come home by moving to Clevedon Park.

She said: “I lived in Gwydir Street in the Welsh Streets for 27 years and, knowing I was born and raised in Byles Street, my husband surprised me by reserving a new home at Clevedon Park.

“I am back on the street where I grew up and it is great that so many of my friends have moved with me.

“I am also looking forward to having a driveway and a garden in an area I was keen to stay in.”

Janet Sheridan, Gleeson sales director, added: “Clevedon Park was designed with the aim of providing good quality, well designed and affordable housing for local people wanting to stay in the area.

“The fact that nearly all our sales were to people from this area is particularly pleasing proving that an existing community can be kept together.”

All the properties at Clevedon Park have now been reserved and Gleeson will soon be starting work on its next new development in Toxteth, located off Northumberland Street.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

There is sadly little else worth snappng on Lodge Lane, a project like this seem to be confined to the Sefton Park end.

You forget the pubs that exist on the ghetto that is Lodge Lane.

And the Library.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Is the library still used? I can't remember, it's a while since I last went down there, and it was dark and I didn't want to hang about!!

scouserdave

Is the church near the top of the pic, the one in Mossley Hill?

Yes, it's the one by the Carnatic halls of residence isn't it? On Rose Lane?

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Is the church near the top of the pic, the one in Mossley Hill?
    Where you on top of the high rises that are being refurbished?

Shows none of the evil ghetto.

Yes the library is still used. Even though it's on Lodge Lane they call it Edge Hill Library.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Oh yeah, I was born in some Old Hospital thats not in Toccy nomore, so does that make me from the Ghetto!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Where you on top of the high rises that are being refurbished?

Shows none of the evil ghetto.

Yes the library is still used. Even though it's on Lodge Lane they call it Edge Hill Library.
    Thanks Snappel.
    Max, I took the pic from the proddy cathedral tower.

I was thinking it was the flats as well, but now I can see why I was wrong! The nearest block to the bottom of the photo is the one by the roundabout at the end of Princes Road/Avenue. Makes sense now!!

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast