Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observatory plans go on Display

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBlack View Post
    They could easily build an indoor helter-skelter affair into the structure. Then eight year-olds would nag their parents to make a day trip there. Add an observation balcony designed with the convenience of photographers in mind. Coffee bar and toilets at the top. Add a toy museum and a pond for model ships at ground level. Bob's your uncle. No need to be over grand.
    Its funny the oldfashioned pleasures is exactly what I was thinking
    I'm not starting a Nark,
    Do you worship at ANFIELD or Goodiston park?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean SE16 View Post
    I didn't like it at first but I'm changing my mind the more I look at it. I'm just concerned that it will be a white elephant because of its location. It could be a huge attraction but it needs to marketed and used properly. How about getting a TV studio built into the design?, imagine something like BBC breakfast news coming live from that every morning! The view out to sea would be a dramatic backdrop to the nation's cornflakes.
    I actually liked #5..very flowing (like a bird in motion), and not to obstructive in site.. This one that won.. reminds me of a flower vase..But, thats just ones opinion... and thusly, it did win..
    I do agree with the TV News Idea.. excellant idea for one of the floors..Would be a great backdrop too..
    The rest, maybe an aquarium of sorts enclosed inside? Along with eatteries, etc.. Hope it works out lovely for you there...

Blog Entries

Nov 29 2008 by Paula Owens, Liverpool Daily Post

DOUBTS have arisen over a proposed ?11.6m landmark tower on Merseyside?s waterfront.

Plans to build an observatory overlooking Crosby marina may have fallen victim to the credit crunch, according to some of those involved in the scheme.

Although there is still great support for the project, two of the people involved claim the current economic climate is hindering progress and warn ?loans are not forthcoming at the moment?. But Walter Menzies, chairman of the steering group and chief executive of Mersey Basin Campaign, says the delay is simply due to finalising planning applications and a raft of other organisational details.

The 30m-high Mersey

Observatory would provide expansive views of Antony Gormley?s iron men, the working docks, Liverpool waterfront, the Mersey estuary and across to Wirral and North Wales.

A futuristic ?vase and bowl? design? was unveiled in March, after a competition saw London architects Duggan Morris beat off competition from almost 100 other entrants.

But since then little progress has been made.

And demolition of the old radar tower has been delayed around six months to some time this winter.

Ian Hamilton-Fazey, who is on the steering group for the project and chairman of Waterloo Residents Association, said: ?It?s a shame the work hasn?t got under way yet.

?The project has been given priority status by all those involved with it, but is being held up by the financial crisis.

?The Mersey Waterfront board has endorsed the observatory in terms of taking it to the next stage. It is a top priority and is safe in terms of pecking order.

?There are some practical problems ? until banks start lending money again, nothing can go forward. We need to be able to borrow on the strength of promised funding, but loans are not forthcoming at the moment.?

The main tower would feature a series of rotating ellipses towering 30 metres to the viewing deck. When viewed from the ground, it will glow like a table lamp at night.

A viewing platform would accommodate up to 200 people and a visitor centre would house an open-air amphitheatre, exhibition space and cafe.

Matthew Sutcliffe, spokesman for Mersey Basin Campaign ? which is spearheading the project ? said: ?We are very hopeful and the steering group is still in place. It is critical at this point to act. We have got some funding in place.

?It?s a shame we are unable to move at present but we are in the same situation as many other projects in the current economic climate.?

However, Mr Menzies, denies the hold-up is due to financial constraints.

He says work on a planning application is in the early stages and discussions with potential public and private funders are progressing well.

He added that work on major projects for Capital of Culture year have taken precedence over progressing the scheme and says the disused radar tower standing on the land, which is owned by Peel Ports, is expected to be demolished this winter.

He hopes to be able to open up the site to the public next spring. He said: ?We are hoping it will be possible to temporarily open up the site to give members of the public a sneak preview. Nobody?s been there for years and the views are truly spectacular.

?We haven?t been able to knock the existing tower down over summer as there was too much going on with the major canal extension that was taking place at the port.?

Planners are hoping to be able to erect information points during the public visits to stimulate further interest in the project.

The Mersey Observatory project is supported by Sefton Council, the Mersey Basin Campaign, Mersey Waterfront, Peel Ports, the North West Development Agency and Liverpool Biennial.

It will sit alongside the Sefton Water Centre, which is currently under construction.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12