YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observatory plans go on Display

Thanks

Default Observatory plans go on Display

Observatory plans go on display

The observatory will offer panoramic views of the river estuary
    Designs for the proposed Mersey Observatory have gone on display.
    The landmark structure will replace the existing radar tower at the mouth of the river near Crosby Beach, home to Anthony Gormley's Another Place.

Five shortlisted entries were chosen from 92 submitted by architects around the world and local people are now being asked for their views.

They will go on display at the Renew Rooms in Wood Street in Liverpool city centre and the Seacombe Ferry Terminal.

They can also be seen in Crosby Library until the end of the month.

The project is being led by the Mersey Basin Campaign and it is thought it will cost in the region of 11.5m.

ADVERTISING

Organisers say each of the designs offers "a very different but imaginative approach to making the most of the Crosby site's fabulous location and views".

We will have to live with it for much of our lives

Ian Hamilton Fazey, chairman of the Waterloo Residents' Association

They range from a V-shaped structure with a suspended viewing pod out over the River Mersey, to a wedge-shaped building extending out over the river that is inspired by a pier.

The other designs include a tower shaped like a table lamp, a weathered steel tower topped by a transparent viewing platform inspired by a lighthouse, and a structure with high piers over the river.

Ian Hamilton Fazey, chairman of the Waterloo Residents' Association, said: "We have five very interesting and very different designs. Whichever is chosen will dominate the entrance to the Mersey from Liverpool Bay for many decades.

"It will be a prominent feature from Formby to Ellesmere Port and will have an enormous visual impact."

"We will have to live with it for much of our lives. We don't want people moaning that no one gave them a say in what this important structure should look like.

"This is the opportunity for everyone to let the jury know what they think face-to-face and make their voices heard in the debate."

Thanks

will this observatory be able to see thru clouds ( radio or whatever ) or is it just visual,

Thanks

umm, don't want to be picky.. oh go on then I will... but being proudly born and bred in Seaforth, I notice that Crosby and Waterloo are trying to muscle in on this one. I think you'll find, dear readers, that the Seaforth Radar station is, as the name suggests, in Seaforth. And that said observatory will also be in Seaforth.

And there endeth Double Geography for today!

Sean of Seaforth
    (can't decide whether that makes me sound like a Knight of the Round Table or a hairdresser...)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sean SE16 View Post

Sean of Seaforth
    (can't decide whether that makes me sound like a Knight of the Round Table or a hairdresser...)
    , a warm welcome, I'm thinking hairdresser

Kev
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Default Proposals

First post I will say Hi in the right place I promise but I have found pics of these proposals

Pics are on the bbc liverpool site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte...allery.shtml?1

what do you all think.

Personally I think number 5 is the nicest and wouldn't itself block any views unlike some of the others.

And yes sean I have to agree its in Seaforth although the marina is in waterloo yet they call it crosby marina.

Thanks

Not sure which I'd choose really.

No.1 - its OK but doesn't do much for me.
    No.2 - I'm strangly drawn to this, its got that industrial, crane like, vibe to it.
    No.3 - looks like half of a bridge (wonder if they could build another one at New Brighton and have a beam of light between the two...).
    No.4 - I don't like this one, looks like a specimen bottle.
    No.5 - Yes, graceful looking, would look good.

A concern with 3 and 5 is they look very open and exposed - would people walk all the way along them on a cold rainy day.
    1 and 2 (and 4 for that matter) look as if they would have some kind of enclosed area (cafe?), would this be better from a revenue earning point of view.

I haven't been in (up?) the Portsmouth Tower but sailing past it looks stunning at night and always seems to have plenty of visitors - although it is next to a shopping/leisure complex. The Seaforth one would be isolated to say the least. Perhaps it needs something else to draw people in - an offshoot of the Maritime Museum, somekind of sea-life centre, educational centre etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast