Thread: The Green Bus cafe

Default The Green Bus cafe

Sadness as the Green Bus cafe is towed away
    12 February 2008
    By Clive Whittingham

END OF AN ERA: Janet Schofield
    with the Green Bus before it was
    towed away.

The Green Bus cafe, at Whatstandwell, closed its doors for a final time on Friday, bringing to an end more than 25 years of service in Derbyshire.

The bus, a 1969 Leyland Panther, ran between Chesterfield and Bakewell in the 1970s after being purchased by Hulley's, of Baslow, from a company in Liverpool.

It was turned into a cafe and parked in the Whatstandwell layby on the A6 in the early 1980s.

Last month the current owner Janet Schofield announced she was closing the business for good after a spate of vandalism and theft. On Friday the bus was towed away and will now be part of a restoration project back in Liverpool.

Mrs Schofield received just £300 for the bus after shelling out £8,500 for it just 15 months ago, and fought back the tears as it was towed away last week.

She said: "I was quite shocked at how upset I was about it all on the day. I'm into week two of not working there now and I am missing going down there and all the friends I've made.

"I miss the people and the company but I don't miss the aggravation I've had over the last 15 months.

"Quite a few people made an effort to get down during the last week, I should have said it was closing down a long time ago to boost trade!"

Television and radio crews were present as the famous local landmark was towed back to Liverpool in an operation that cost the Merseyside Transport Trust about £600.

Rob Wilson from the trust, which has been rescuing and restoring old Liverpool buses since 1974, said: "We have a similar one up here that we've nearly completed restoring. It's missing a few parts and this one will help provide those.

"We've had our eye on this for 15 years or maybe more. We've known about it a long time and have had a few cups of tea with different owners over the years.

"We only had to change the tyres to get it here, it rolled quite well considering it's been standing still a long time."

Source: Belper News

I seem to remember one at the Old Haymarket/St. John's Lane and it was an artic and then they opened the bus drivers cafe in St. Johns house.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

quote... On Friday the bus was towed away and will now be part of a restoration project back in Liverpool.
    they''ll show them how to make a real bacon butty, .

we have one here in the middle of the city late at night called the white lady, it's been going 40+ years, ****e food and hose pipe tasting coffe, but when your full of lager everything tastes nice.

This is the Ex Liverpool panther shortly before removal to the Merseyside transport trust base at Burscough

Blog Entries

This bus /cafe was very popular with bikers,Matlock is just down the road and is a mecca for the them ,truckers and folk like me ,travelling salesmen.
    I have had the pleasure of it hot sausage and bacon sarnies for the whole of the 25 years and it will be sadly missed.
    BrianD

Readers from Speke will remember the bus/cafe at the terminus in Eastern Avenue, which was there for years. I enjoyed many a cuppa in it. The bus was quite a rare survivor from the 1930s I think and was eventually saved for preservation. What happened to it since I have no idea

I also remember that bus, great bacon butties whilst waiting for the 82.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Readers from Speke will remember the bus/cafe at the terminus in Eastern Avenue, which was there for years. I enjoyed many a cuppa in it. The bus was quite a rare survivor from the 1930s I think and was eventually saved for preservation. What happened to it since I have no idea
    It was an embarrassment. An eyesore.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Yes, it was pretty tatty by the time it went. The owner had to keep adding bits of tin to the sides to keep vandals out and it did look a sight. Did it get replaced with something else? I haven't been up that way for years.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Yes, it was pretty tatty by the time it went. The owner had to keep adding bits of tin to the sides to keep vandals out and it did look a sight. Did it get replaced with something else? I haven't been up that way for years.
    My Cousins had it for a number of years after Stan Ford, they sold it on and I am unsure what happened to it at the end.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Just wanted to add this picture of the Panther taken back in June 1987.

Blog Entries

The memories and pics are great, keep 'em coming cheers

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Sadness as the Green Bus cafe is towed away
    12 February 2008
    By Clive Whittingham

END OF AN ERA: Janet Schofield
    with the Green Bus before it was
    towed away.

The Green Bus cafe, at Whatstandwell, closed its doors for a final time on Friday, bringing to an end more than 25 years of service in Derbyshire.

The bus, a 1969 Leyland Panther, ran between Chesterfield and Bakewell in the 1970s after being purchased by Hulley's, of Baslow, from a company in Liverpool.

It was turned into a cafe and parked in the Whatstandwell layby on the A6 in the early 1980s.

Last month the current owner Janet Schofield announced she was closing the business for good after a spate of vandalism and theft. On Friday the bus was towed away and will now be part of a restoration project back in Liverpool.

Mrs Schofield received just £300 for the bus after shelling out £8,500 for it just 15 months ago, and fought back the tears as it was towed away last week.

She said: "I was quite shocked at how upset I was about it all on the day. I'm into week two of not working there now and I am missing going down there and all the friends I've made.

"I miss the people and the company but I don't miss the aggravation I've had over the last 15 months.

"Quite a few people made an effort to get down during the last week, I should have said it was closing down a long time ago to boost trade!"

Television and radio crews were present as the famous local landmark was towed back to Liverpool in an operation that cost the Merseyside Transport Trust about £600.

Rob Wilson from the trust, which has been rescuing and restoring old Liverpool buses since 1974, said: "We have a similar one up here that we've nearly completed restoring. It's missing a few parts and this one will help provide those.

"We've had our eye on this for 15 years or maybe more. We've known about it a long time and have had a few cups of tea with different owners over the years.

"We only had to change the tyres to get it here, it rolled quite well considering it's been standing still a long time."

Source: Belper News
    http://www.itvlocal.com/central/news...26&void=149062

OMG Am i famous now! Rob

Infamous Rob
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Infamous Rob

Thanks Ged! MATE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast