Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wirral Closed Lines & Tunnels

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    That is the plan. I think a bulk carrier would make a great sight sailing past high-rises.

Understand how and why Merseyrail came about. A new mainline station is not going to be built in the Wirral because you think it is a separate entity to Liverpool - it is not so get over it.

Good old Wirral petty snobbery raising its head, looking down on Liverpool. I can never understand why they have the attitude they have when looking at the Wirral. There is only about three decent buildings in the whole place. Liverpool has nothing like Birkenhead. Look at the sight Liverpudlians have to look at across the river, and then look at what they see. That says it all.
    I've not been in it myself, but supposedly the park is pretty good over there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    I've not been in it myself, but supposedly the park is pretty good over there
    Which park? There's a few over here looking over Liverpool.

Birkenhead park, the one central park in New York was based on.. or something like that

Blog Entries

Birkenhead park, the one central park in New York was based on.. or something like that
    Can't see Liverpool from there. Best one is Vale Park or the Green Hill, both in Wallasey. The park in Rock Ferry is good too, see Liverpool from there. Eastham also good for South Liverpool and the airport.

I just meant something good the Wirral has got. I'm sure I read u could see right across the Mersey when that park was first built, or whatever u do to a park

Blog Entries

I just meant something good the Wirral has got. I'm sure I read u could see right across the Mersey when that park was first built, or whatever u do to a park
    Not when it was concieved anyhow. Birkenhead Park has just been done up. How long it lasts is anyones business. There seems a concerted effort to wreck by the Hooligans

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Not when it was concieved anyhow. Birkenhead Park has just been done up. How long it lasts is anyones business. There seems a concerted effort to wreck by the Hooligans
    How about any graffitist caught has the inside and outside of their place covered in graffiti

Blog Entries

Smurf, it's not generally that big a problem in Birkenhead Park. The problem there seems to be just wanton destruction. They are, the hooigans, doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Smurf, it's not generally that big a problem in Birkenhead Park. The problem there seems to be just wanton destruction. They are, the hooigans, doing quite well.
    How about they have legs and arms broke, if caught ?

Blog Entries

How about they have legs and arms broke, if caught ?
    Reckon so. That shoulda happened twenty years ago. Reckon the punishments shoulda increased too. By now it woulda been instant death. Still too good for most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    You obviously don't get it. The old freight lines ran over roads and the likes, more or less like trams. A rapid-transit rail system is a segregated, uninterrupted line, so that would mean fencing off the line. To bring a line in from Bidston would mean dividing the community, as surface rail lines tend to do.

Wirral Water is to be at the East Float and the commercial section at West Float. Commercial rail can enter via the west from Bidston and passenger rail from he east via the old Dock Branch line from Mollington St. All makes sense.

Birkenhead is NOT going to get its own mainline station, as Lime St serves the Wirral very well. It is easy for most people on the Wirral to get to Lime St than most people in Liverpool. Lime St can take a lot more mainline trains than now. Only when Lime St cannot cope and extension cannot occur, then will another mainline station be considered. That will most probably be Exchange station, with its own underground station as the Northern Line tracks are under the station.

All surrounding towns are secondary to Liverpool, they are in the same socio/economic sphere. Liverpool is the economic generator. Get used to it as that is the way it is. The Wirral should be incorporated into Liverpool and make it all one city. The Wirral will benefit then. Look at the state of Birkenhead.

People in Liverpool and beyond pay the same rail rates as those in the Wirral. Only those who live a short walk from Lime St do not pay, and those are few and far between. If they have bags they will not walk.

London is massive. You may have noticed. It needs lots of mainline stations, Merseyside can cope with one large station, where all the destinations are at one point, which makes matters better for all. Read what I wrote about the creation of Merseyrail and why all mainline stations, bar one, were got rid of.

Forget it, the Wirral WILL NOT have a mainline station built. It will just not happen. It is madness to build one there.
    The reason why London has so many stations is that during the railway boom in the 1800's the City Of London refused permission for railways to cross the city. Virtually all the lines end approx a mile away from the financial district.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12