Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solomon's Tomb, Aigburth

Default Solomon's Tomb, Aigburth

This is marked on the 1840 1in. OS map at approx SJ 391 865. This is about 1km from both the Calderstones (which are shown on the same map), and Robin Hood's Stone (which isn't). Solomon's Tomb is not marked on larger-scale maps from the later 1840s, which do mark Robin Hood's Stone.

The map pre-dates the development of Aigburth and the area is otherwise shown as mostly fields and a few isolated houses.

The name (and the proximity to a group of ancient sites) seems suggestive of a monument of some sort, but it seems to be unrecorded and undiscussed in any of the learned papers on the Calderstones etc.

Of course, it could just be a field name, but does anyone have any info?

The site is now occupied more or less by Rockside Road.

TonyS

Last edited by TonyS; 08-27-2008 at 11:47 AM.

The Tomb is discussed in Robert Griffiths History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth (1907), so it is more than a field name but was Dr. Solomon's actual burial vault. A number of years ago I looked a copy of Dr. Solomon's book on his Balm of Gilead in the library on the history of medicine at Hopkins which was a bit of a thrill.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Well done you three, very informative, you's obviously know your stuff.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    Hi,

You are referring to Solomon's Mausoleum, shown here on Bennison's 1835 Map of Liverpool.

Dr. Solomon died in 1819 and was interred here, alongside other family members. The land was purchased by the London and North Western Railway Company. The mausoleum was demolished and the remains of the doctor and his family were removed to the Necropolis on West Derby Road.

This is an extract from the burial register :

"Sophia Tobias, aged 21, died 2nd June 1813 ; Elizabeth Solomon, aged 50, died March 1815 ; Jane Solomon, aged 38, died December 13th 1818 ; Samuel Solomon, aged 16, died November 17th, 1824. All removed from Mossley Hill and re-interred in the Necropolis, September 11th, 1840. "

What "learned papers" have you read ?

See you,

Tony
    The learned papers I've read are the usual antiquarian and more recent sources, such as:

Ecroyd Smith,H. 'An Ancient-British Cemetery At Wavertree' T.H.S.L.C. vol.20, new series vol.8, (1868)
    Simpson,J.Y. 'On the Cup-Cuttings and Ring Cuttings on the Calderstones, near Liverpool' T.H.S.L.C. vol.17 (new series vol.5) (1866)
    Romilly Allen,J. 'The Calderstones' Journal of Brit.Arch.Soc. vol.39 (1883) and vol.44 (1888)
    Herdman,W.A. 'A Contribution to the History of the Calderstones, near Liverpool' Trans.Liverpool Biol.Soc. (1896) pp.132-146.
    Hand,C.R. 'Captain William Lathom and the Calderstones' T.H.S.L.C. vol.31 (1915)
    Forde-Johnson,J.L. 'Megalithic Art in the North West of Britain: The Calderstones, Liverpool' Proc.Prehist.Soc. vol.23 (1957)
    Cowell,R.W. & Warhurst,M.The Calderstones Merseyside Arch. Soc. (1984)
    Cowell,R.W. 'The Prehistory of Merseyside' J.M.A.S. vol.8 1987 (1991)

My mistake was to assume that the feature (being shown on a mid-nineteenth century map, before modern burial outside the confines of approved churchyards and secular cemeteries became more commonplace) was prehistoric rather than recent in date (after all, "Solomon's Tomb" has a certain folkloric quality about it, not unlike Robin Hood's Stone), especially given its location among some of Merseyside's very few significant early monumental sites.

Plus, I couldn't find anything about it beyond the single map appearance (though admittedly I've hardly spent the last decade searching diligently).

So thanks for the information. Any reason why he was buried in a private plot, unconnected to a cemetery?

TonyS

Last edited by TonyS; 08-27-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries

A fascinating thread cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

DaisyChains

Money, I'd guess.

Here is an extract from Picton :

Dr. Solomon was for many years one of the institutions of Liverpool. Long before Holloway's Pills were heard of, or Morrison had established his "British College of Health", Solomon's "Balm of Gilead" had penetrated to the utmost bounds of the habitable globe. The Doctor was a gentleman of the Hebrew nation, who commenced his medical career in a very modest way in Marybone, Tithebarn Street, some time before 1796. The precise period when the Balm of Gilead first diffused its soothing influences over the ills of humanity, I cannot accurately determine, but by the end of the century it had become very popular. From Marybone, Dr. Solomon removed to Brownlow Street about 1800.

In 1804, wealth and reputation increasing, he built himself a noble mansion at Kensington, and called it "Gilead House", where he resided until his decease. Gilead House, or Dr. Solomon's, as it was familiarly called, was for many years the first house in approaching Liverpool from the eastward, and attracted great attention from the beauty of the grounds, and the trim style in which they were kept.

The Doctor died about 1819, and was interred in a mausoleum he had erected for himself on an estate belonging to him in Garston. Many years after his decease the estate was sold by his representatives, his remains removed to one of the cemeteries, and the mausoleum pulled down.

The following books refer to Solomon. :

Picton - Memorials of Liverpool.
    Stonehouse - The Streets of Liverpool.
    Griffiths, R. - The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth.

See you,

Tony
    Mr Richard Whittington Egan also has written a chapter about Solomon (one of my fave Liverpool characters!)
    I think it's in his dossier series book 'Liverpool Characters and Eccentrics'.

Does anyone have any pictures/illustrations of Gilead House,or know where exactly it was?

Dave.

Default gilead house

look on ebay there is a print of gilead house west derbyfor sale

Dr. Solomon died in 1819 and was interred here, alongside other family members. The land was purchased by the London and North Western Railway Company. The mausoleum was demolished and the remains of the doctor and his family were removed to the Necropolis on West Derby Road.

This is an extract from the burial register :

"Sophia Tobias, aged 21, died 2nd June 1813 ; Elizabeth Solomon, aged 50, died March 1815 ; Jane Solomon, aged 38, died December 13th 1818 ; Samuel Solomon, aged 16, died November 17th, 1824. All removed from Mossley Hill and re-interred in the Necropolis, September 11th, 1840. "

Tony

and of course the West Derby rd Necropolis was eventually done away with. Wonder what happened to the remains then ??

Blog Entries

Don't know how I missed this thread previously but it's fascinating. Well done folks; I continue to be amazed by the volume and scope of local knowledge here.
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    That's an interesting article. Before reading the article I had not suspected that the redoubtable Dr. Samuel Solomon was Jewish... very interesting to know. The article also puts him in perspective as to the nature of the "Cordial Balm of Gilead" for which he is famous. Not surprisingly, it seems to have been an intoxicating brew much like other nostrums marketed in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Top picture: "The cover illustration is from a painting of Mossley Hill c1910 by Charles R. Wood" (map of Mossley Hill 1905, Godfrey Edition)
    Bottom picture: Solomons Mausoleum (from The History of the Royal and Ancient Park Of Toxteth" Robert Griffiths, 1907)

[IMG] Dr. Solomons, Vaults, Brook and Mausoleum, Liverpool by south_liverpool, on Flickr[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast