Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Waterloo Tunnel Update 10th Feb 2008

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jc_everton View Post
    Yep, that is definitely off-topic.

Quick word on JLA Airport - more sweeping assumptions that "People not even stopping in the city and using the airport to go elsewhere, may not be such a benefit to the people of the city"

True, I don't stop off in town before I use the airport but what about the people who use the airport to come and visit/stay in Liverpool? Surely a better rail link for these people can be only a positive thing for the city - raising its profile etc.

And yes, a new station for Speke - everyone's a winner.
    The point I am making is that an expanded airport is a not a sure fire winner to increase wealth in a city. Manchester airport wasn't that great an asset to the city. Many used the airport, but few went into the city - and the problems of aircraft pollution. That is not such a great problem at Liverpool as the planes come in over the estuary. An airport does promote business connections - eventually.

I would get rid of the isolated Speke housing estate. It needs lots of money spending on it which, with the poor image of the estate, may prove to be a waste of money in the end. The land is best used for airport expansion.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    That's probably the most sensible thing said on this thread.
    And the most positive

incentive not censure!!

Yes, I agree with the 'getting rid of Speke' principle, but come on, let's be realistic here!
    By all means, get rid of any derelict housing, of which there is quite a bit, no-one wants to move there so there's no point in maintaining them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jc_everton View Post
    Yes, I agree with the 'getting rid of Speke' principle, but come on, let's be realistic here!
    By all means, get rid of any derelict housing, of which there is quite a bit, no-one wants to move there so there's no point in maintaining them.
    Speke is an isolated estate surrounded by industry and an airport. It is quite a way from Garston. A large airport and industrial estate separate the two.

Building new, or renovating homes there is futile. It will always be a sink estate and and be a bottomless pit for public money in benefits, vandalism repair, etc. It is an embarrassing eyesore right next to the airport - the front window of the city.

It is right in the way of expansion too. The city does want the airport t be bigger.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Speke is an isolated estate surrounded by industry and an airport. It is quite a way from Garston. A large airport and industrial estate separate the two.

Building new, or renovating homes there is futile. It will always be a sink estate and and be a bottomless pit for public money in benefits, vandalism repair, etc. It is an embarrassing eyesore right next to the airport - the front window of the city.

It is right in the way of expansion too. The city does want the airport t be bigger.
    Hopefully there will be someone on the forum from Speke to put you right. It sounds like you've never been down there? Isolated? It's right on the boundary to Hale Village - why not knock that down too as well as paving over all of Speke? And not forgetting Speke Hall - knock that down as well!

You don't see any part of Speke when you are exiting the airport, apart from the main duel carriageway which brings you to a nice church on the corner.

As for expansion, drive down Oglet Lane one day and see how much wasteland there is if you think there is no room for expansion.

Blog Entries

Hopefully there will be someone on the forum from Speke to put you right. It sounds like you've never been down there? Isolated? It's right on the boundary to Hale Village - why not knock that down too as well as paving over all of Speke? And not forgetting Speke Hall - knock that down as well!

You don't see any part of Speke when you are exiting the airport, apart from the main duel carriageway which brings you to a nice church on the corner.

As for expansion, drive down Oglet Lane one day and see how much wasteland there is if you think there is no room for expansion.

I know Speke very well, when it half decent. It has always had very rough parts. The last time I went the, a few years ago, It amazed how the place become a half decent place to a full sink estate. Quite dire. It is in the way and better spending the money to put people elsewhere.

Hale village does not border Speke, the are a number of fields between. Also Hale is in Cheshire not Liverpool, a different admin. And Hale looks nice, which Speke does not.

how it once was?

I know Speke very well, when it half decent. It has always had very rough parts. The last time I went the, a few years ago, It amazed how the place become a half decent place to a full sink estate. Quite dire. It is in the way and better spending the money to put people elsewhere.

Hale village does not border Speke, the are a number of fields between. Also Hale is in Cheshire not Liverpool, a different admin. And Hale looks nice, which Speke does not.
    What's speke in the way of? Liverpool Airport? Seeing as the old airport was brought in after Speke was developed.

So far on this thread, you've wanted to turf someone out of their business, (Dingle Station), construct a new network of tunnels by excavating between Dingle and Edge Hill, open up the Wapping/Waterloo tunnel without any real business plan and idea on excavation in an emergency and now you want to demolish the whole of Speke just because the masses that used to work at the Dunlop factory don't live there anymore.

I can't wait for the next gem

Blog Entries

What's speke in the way of? Liverpool Airport? Seeing as the old airport was brought in after Speke was developed.
    I'm not sure if it was. Speke was first developed in the 1930s, I think just after the airport was setup, otherwise it would have been next to Garston, not remote from it.

So far on this thread, you've wanted to turf someone out of their business, (Dingle Station),
    Yes. It is a needed station, and the station was there first. The garage can go where industry should be, not at the bottom of a residential street.

construct a new network of tunnels by excavating between Dingle and Edge Hill,
    Great idea, competes an underground Circle Line which the city needs.

open up the Wapping/Waterloo tunnel without any real business plan
    There is is it called the Circle Line and the needs it.

and idea on excavation in an emergency
    ??

and now you want to demolish the whole of Speke just because the masses that used to work at the Dunlop factory don't live there anymore.
    Yes, and the place is a dump (last time I looked), and not worth spending money on. It is in the way of commercial and industrial expansion.

I can't wait for the next gem
    They will come. Wait.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-31-2008 at 08:56 PM.

how it once was?

One thing we are all forgetting here, the Dingle Station is owned by a private company (Roscoe's) who have an extensive set up already there and doubt would ever move out unless they were given a pretty penny. Where else would you find a motor garage with all that space??

You may as well write anything off to do with the Dingle Station.
    I forgot to reply to this a good few days ago when it was posted.

The curent tenants will not been to be bought out as a new station would have to be built. The existing 'station' would never pass H&S (stupid things like minimum platform widths etc).

It would be a lot more cost effective to build a new cheap station nearby, than to enlarge the tunnel aswell as buying out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I forgot to reply to this a good few days ago when it was posted.

The curent tenants will not been to be bought out as a new station would have to be built. The existing 'station' would never pass H&S (stupid things like minimum platform widths etc).

It would be a lot more cost effective to build a new cheap station nearby, than to enlarge the tunnel aswell as buying out.
    Where would the new station be built? Enlarging that station must be the most cost effective way.

how it once was?

Where would the new station be built? Enlarging that station must be the most cost effective way.
    No idea where it would be built as I don't know the surroundings well enough to comment, before I do, how far into the tunnel mouth was the station?

No idea where it would be built as I don't know the surroundings well enough to comment, before I do, how far into the tunnel mouth was the station?
    http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...y/index3.shtml

Blog Entries

Map on post No. 20 on this thread. It looks like it can only be underground.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-31-2008 at 09:26 PM.

how it once was?

Map on post No. 20 on this thread. It looks like it can only be underground.
    It's not very clear though - but very roughly what are we talking - 100 meters or a mile?

...They will come. Wait.

I, for one, don't doubt it.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast