Thread: City districts

Question City districts

I am new to this but I have been trying hard in the last couple of years to get two city districts (at the least) recognised by Liverpool City Council. When the council erected district signs it omitted Vauxhall and Belle Vale. Vauxhall is otherwise known as the 'Scottie Road' area and is bordered by Kirkdale in the north and Everton in the east while running into the city centre. It is often misrepresented as Kirkdale or Everton. The council signs say Everton. Belle Vale is a small area around Childwall, Gateacre and Netherley including a large shopping centre and Junior Football League. But has signs for Gateacre and Childwall in the heart of the area. But both are erased, for want of a better word, because the council says they are not areas. Rubbish! These communities are very real and evident. I want the council to change the signs! I've been down the road of writing to them and the Council Leader, does anyone want to else want to support a change in the signs or have an opinion?

Blog Entries

Hi David, I moved your thread to a more appropriate section.

Welcome aboard
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

thanks. David Mc

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    I am new to this but I have been trying hard in the last couple of years to get two city districts (at the least) recognised by Liverpool City Council. When the council erected district signs it omitted Vauxhall and Belle Vale. Vauxhall is otherwise known as the 'Scottie Road' area and is bordered by Kirkdale in the north and Everton in the east while running into the city centre. It is often misrepresented as Kirkdale or Everton. The council signs say Everton. Belle Vale is a small area around Childwall, Gateacre and Netherley including a large shopping centre and Junior Football League. But has signs for Gateacre and Childwall in the heart of the area. But both are erased, for want of a better word, because the council says they are not areas. Rubbish! These communities are very real and evident. I want the council to change the signs! I've been down the road of writing to them and the Council Leader, does anyone want to else want to support a change in the signs or have an opinion?
    Keep trying David. The City Council finally relented and have put up signs saying Mossley Hill when only a few years ago they denied the place existed . That their signs are in some debatable locations is of course another matter.

I'd certainly agree that the Everton sign on Scottie Rd is absurd and definitely in the wrong place. Everton really stops at Gt Homer St.
    Last edited by taffy; 02-07-2008 at 11:40 PM.

When all these new signs were done hey seemed to be done strictly on council ward boundaries, hence none was done for Vauxhall - there is one for Everton near Toys r us which is a farce. Quite a few have been changed, such as one for Old Swan on Derby Lane near Queens Drive becoming Stoneycroft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    There are large areas, Toxteth for e.g, with sub areas in: Dingle, St. Micheal's, Granby, etc. The subs are not recognised. You are saying sub areas should be. The original areas are in some cases rather more ancient.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Cadfael

The council made a huge arse of those signs. Just past Childwall Valley Road railway bridge is a sign for Gateacre when we're still in the boundary of Childwall. And then exit Belle Vale Shops and turn left back up the Valley Road, you are greeted with a sign of Childwall when we're still in Belle Vale.

I would love to see older style signs showing our lost villages - as you say, Belle Vale and the like, but also the likes of Grassendale and Thingwall too.

Exclamation city districts

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    There are large areas, Toxteth for e.g, with sub areas in: Dingle, St. Micheal's, Granby, etc. The subs are not recognised. You are saying sub areas should be. The original areas are in some cases rather more ancient.
    Following my original text, I anticipated a discussion so naturally all replies are welcome. However I take issue firstly in respect of the signs supposedly based on ward boundaries, I thought that too. But where does that place Belle Vale which is now a ward but still ignored. And where does that place the Vauxhall area, which actually used to be a ward but is now under Kirkdale, but the signs say Everton. Confused?

As for sub areas, I half agree as I do not believe Granby is an area it is just a local term. Like Sparrow Hall. But come on, Vauxhall historically was an old ward (alongside Exchange) and part of 'old Liverpool'. Everton and Kirkdale were quite seperate before Liverpool expanded. I.e. Boundary Street is the old boundary between Liverpool and Kirkdale. And back to Belle Vale, YES it is a small area and not 'ancient' but in my book it merits being called a district. It has enough ameneties in the area.

Blog Entries

There are wards. BT has its own idea of areas wit its telephones numbers, as does Royal Mail, etc.

Firstly you have to define what makes a distinct area.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Good way of putting it, what makes a distinct area. I think my arguement about Belle Vale and Vauxhall in particular already proves these areas are distinctive different enough from other nearby districts. As a resident of Belle Vale, I know it has many amenities and there is a junior football league (Scotland Road has one too). I don't associate anything in the area with Gateacre or Childwall, Gateacre has a village like Woolton and Childwall is L16, and as they are defined as more 'posher' areas, some of the people in Belle Vale link themselves with those areas, a sort of snobbishness if you ask me. Area's do not have to be big, Fairfield and Kensington are both small areas.
    Last edited by David Mc; 02-11-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar