YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: East Liverpool ghosts and oddities

  1. #1
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default East Liverpool ghosts and oddities

    I'm having real trouble finding stories for East Liverpool for my Book.

    Obviously I'll be including Croxteth Hall but, to be honest, information seems to be rather thin on the ground for that one.

    I've also got a someone whose giving me a personal account of a suburban haunting in Croxteth but, other than that, I can't find anything.

    To my surprise, I haven't come up with any stories for Old Swan, Knotty Ash, Fairfield, Kensington or Low Hill. Does any one have any ideas? Any obvious haunted locations or stories that I'm missing?

    Cheers for all you help.


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Do you know of the spirits in the Red House, Old Swan?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  3. #3
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Do you know of the spirits in the Red House, Old Swan?
    No, can't say as I've heard of it. It's a pub isn't it? You're not going to tell me they're two for one are you?

  4. #4
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  5. #5
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    See, I might not have been here that long but I've got the measure of you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Anyone had any ideas or thoughts about this yet? I'm quite stuck to be honest.

  7. #7
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    It was in last weeks Echo that Most haunted are doing a show from St. Georges Hall. It'll be one of these where they set up infra red cameras and temperature change detection equipment and have a studio audience.

    Then one or two orbs will eventually float past, Yvette Fielding will scream and they'll all get in a lather over nothing.

    Members of my family worked here over many years and i've stayed the night and explored unchartered areas, all unfortunately before I thought of photographing these locations. However, they'll no doubt set the cameras up in only the usual suspect places like one of the whitewashed cells etc but the real scary places are down by the boiler room, the doctors room, which is cold (and down near where they dug the underground loop line in the 70s) and also up in the curved roofspace. Having said that, no-one I know, including 2 of my mates who were caretakers there ever saw anything.

    Plenty of weird noises though and traffic on Lime street etc when you're down in the bowels under the grids near the plateau, but nothing you couldn't really expect in a big old building.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mark R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Tuebrook house is supposed to be haunted. Also the Old Seaman's Orphanage in Newsham Park. I know the staff there said that there were plenty of sightings/manifestations. Unfortunately it has fell into disrepair in recent years.
    It is Accomplished

  9. #9
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    As Jim Royale would say "Ghosts my A*Łe"

  10. #10
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It was in last weeks Echo that Most haunted are doing a show from St. Georges Hall. It'll be one of these where they set up infra red cameras and temperature change detection equipment and have a studio audience.

    Then one or two orbs will eventually float past, Yvette Fielding will scream and they'll all get in a lather over nothing.

    Members of my family worked here over many years and i've stayed the night and explored unchartered areas, all unfortunately before I thought of photographing these locations. However, they'll no doubt set the cameras up in only the usual suspect places like one of the whitewashed cells etc but the real scary places are down by the boiler room, the doctors room, which is cold (and down near where they dug the underground loop line in the 70s) and also up in the curved roofspace. Having said that, no-one I know, including 2 of my mates who were caretakers there ever saw anything.

    Plenty of weird noises though and traffic on Lime street etc when you're down in the bowels under the grids near the plateau, but nothing you couldn't really expect in a big old building.
    I had a fella contact me a while back promising stories of his time at saint George's. It all sounded very interesting but, for some reason, he's not been back in touch despite several emails from me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Tuebrook house is supposed to be haunted. Also the Old Seaman's Orphanage in Newsham Park. I know the staff there said that there were plenty of sightings/manifestations. Unfortunately it has fell into disrepair in recent years.
    Cheers Mark, I can have a dig about at least can't I? (I don't mean literally, obviously...)

  12. #12
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    As Jim Royale would say "Ghosts my A*Łe"
    Yeah, thanks for that John mate.

  13. #13
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    Yeah, thanks for that John mate.
    Yer welcome

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mark R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    Cheers Mark, I can have a dig about at least can't I? (I don't mean literally, obviously...)
    Yes, I should imagine so. Good luck.
    It is Accomplished

  15. #15
    Newbie brenda starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leek
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    You've probably tried this already but how about placing a small ad in a local paper, or even seeing if they would like to do a story on it? perhaps see if you can get on local radio. I believe there is a ghost walk called 'shiverpool' maybe the guide would be a good place to start. I've always found that people are happy to talk about there experiences you just have to find them!
    Is there anybody there?

  16. #16
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brenda starr View Post
    You've probably tried this already but how about placing a small ad in a local paper, or even seeing if they would like to do a story on it? perhaps see if you can get on local radio. I believe there is a ghost walk called 'shiverpool' maybe the guide would be a good place to start. I've always found that people are happy to talk about there experiences you just have to find them!
    Brenda, you're absolutely right that it's just a case of finding the right people but, sadly, my deadline is closing in.

    I've been putting handbills in shops and libraries, posting online, been interviewed on internet radio, all since I started working on the book last year. I've even had an extract from the book published in a Liverpool free newspaper. The sad fact is that the likes if the Merseymart, Radio Merseyside and the Echo already have their own resident ghost writers/experts and don't seem very interested in what I'm doing.
    As for the Shiverpool tours, I've met people who work for them and heard some of the stories they tell. These are no doubt wonderful when you're on the tour but a bit too melodramatic for what I'm working on. Also, their versions of these tales (like Tom Slemen's) will be copyrighted and therefore illegal for me to use.

    Sorry to sound so negative, all your suggestions make perfect sense and I'm very grateful for them; I just felt I should explain my position.

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Senior Member fortinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Researchwriter, remember that not all of Tom Slemens stories are bull****, some of them have a genuine basis in truth before the Arse-Sorryteller (sorry, Arch-Storyteller) gets his sensationalizing hands upon them.

    One of his tales mentioned a UFO in in North Liverpool years ago, my mother who was only a child then but she maintains that her and my aunt saw something similar to what Slemen described.

    As it was a general event and people like my mother are still alive and probably remember it I cannot see why he would have any copyright or assosiated claims over the story. I mean, it's not like he had copyright worries when he pillaged Wittington-Egans books for his first few publications.

  18. #18
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Researchwriter, remember that not all of Tom Slemens stories are bull****, some of them have a genuine basis in truth before the Arse-Sorryteller (sorry, Arch-Storyteller) gets his sensationalizing hands upon them.

    One of his tales mentioned a UFO in in North Liverpool years ago, my mother who was only a child then but she maintains that her and my aunt saw something similar to what Slemen described.

    As it was a general event and people like my mother are still alive and probably remember it I cannot see why he would have any copyright or assosiated claims over the story. I mean, it's not like he had copyright worries when he pillaged Wittington-Egans books for his first few publications.
    Fortinian, I couldn't possibly comment on whether Mr. Slemen's stories were embellished or not but, if I was to use his work as a source and there were details of it which had not previously appeared elsewhere, that is where (I believe) the copyright issue would come in. I have no doubt that there are plenty of people out there who have witnessed some of things he has described and, of course, their testimony would not be under his copyright. To be honest, my book is already going to be called Haunted Liverpool (since all of Tempus Publishing's books in this series are called Haunted [insert city or town name here]) so I want to try to steer clear of Mr. Slemen's work as much as is possible.

  19. #19
    Senior Member johnreppion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springwood, Liverpool
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Just a quick note to anyone who has tried PM me recently; I have now made room in my inbox for your message, please resend.

Similar Threads

  1. Ghosts and Timeslips ...
    By BernadetteG in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
  2. Help with a Liverpool ghosts and hauntings book
    By johnreppion in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
  3. Childwall Ghosts.
    By Max in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!