Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal

The pontoons are the concrete (re-inforced with steel) structures which will be fixed to form one long landing stage...in theory anyway, as there seems to be something delaying the completion of it.

Here is a picture of a Pontoon with crane at the pier head. >>>>
    Not the best of pics though. Two tugs are also in the oicture.

Phredd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2007-7-12 00011.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	3865  
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

DaisyChains

I work in one of the buildings in front of it so I look at them everyday!
    No work has taken place for ages...

I heard a rumour they've now been shifted to a dry-dock over the water. I don't know Birkenhead too well, but I'm sure they're not hard to find, if this is the case. I'm still awaiting some official announcement of the delay...it's already a month behind.
    Last edited by marky; 08-11-2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling

kat2

Post Liverpool Cruise Liner Facility, Princes Dock

CONTRACT 1077
    Liverpool Cruise Liner Facility, Princes Dock
    Operational Services
    1ST June 2007 to 31st May 2012

INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
    Liverpool City Council is constructing a landing stage at Princes Dock and the physical facilities necessary to attract consistently and in the long-term Cruise ships, naval vessels and other exhibition vessels to Liverpool (the “Cruise Liner Facility” (CLF)).

The CLF construction contract was awarded in January 2006 and is due to be completed in June 2007. Concurrently with the construction works, the City Council is seeking to procure the services required to operate the CLF effectively and sustainably.
    More here
    http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-76617.doc

Or here in Html format
    http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=21&gl=uk

kat

kat2

Giant Pontoon Cruises into Liverpool
    01 Feb 2007

The Canada Graving Dock in Liverpool is playing host to an unfamiliar type of construction. The dock, which was the largest in Europe when it was built in the 1880s, has seen the construction of the Cunard Liners Lusitania and Mauretania. The latest structure to be added to the dock’s CV is the construction of the new reinforced concrete pontoons to be used as part of the city’s new cruise liner facility.

More here
    http://www.maritimejournal.com/archi...into_liverpool
    kat
    two sections of the cruise liner pontoon can be seen in Birkenhead's dry docks, both sections can be seen from Birkenhead Priory

kat2

Smile

Photograph taken by The MerseyOrange, url, skyscrapercity.com
    found via google
    herehttp://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pon...&start=30&sa=N
    kat
    pontoon being repaired/inspected in dry dock camel Lairds Birkenhead

Race against time to be ready for QE2 visit
    Aug 10 2007
    by Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL faces a race against time to have its multi-million cruise liner terminal ready for its official launch event with the QE2.

In what could be a new body blow following the Mathew Street Festival fiasco, the cruise liner landing stage – which had been due to receive its first visitor last month – has been towed to Wirral’s Cammell Laird shipyard for checks and any urgent last-minute work. There is now a battle to ensure the work is completed and the £19m stage in place for the start of September, when a procession of cruise liners are due to visit Liverpool.

But the biggest date is September 21 when the QE2 is to visit the Mersey for the official launch of the new stage as part of the famous vessel’s farewell tour.

It was unclear last night whether the stage would be completed and fully tested by then or by September 2, when the cruise liner Prinsendam is due to tie up alongside.

Story continues...

kat2

keep an eye open (even on some of the webcams) the pontoons could be coming across, back from the wirral at some stage over the weekend, predicted date is Monday, but you never know with the weather.
    of course *grins* the pontoons wanted to stay over here at Cammel Lairds
    but hey, somebodys gotta go back over the water! *g*!
    heres a link to a new website (well it says its new)

Mersey docks and Harbour
    nice flash vidoes too
    http://www.merseydocks.co.uk/
    Click on the red writing to enter the site
    More about the cruise liner pontoon here
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html
    kat
    Last edited by kat2; 08-11-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Blog Entries

thanks kat. that'll be a sight won't it, slowly watching that monster being towed over....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    Giant Pontoon Cruises into Liverpool
    01 Feb 2007

The Canada Graving Dock in Liverpool is playing host to an unfamiliar type of construction. The dock, which was the largest in Europe when it was built in the 1880s, has seen the construction of the Cunard Liners Lusitania and Mauretania.
    They weren't built in Liverpool, and didn't the liners berth in the river, not in docks?

BTW, shipbuilding in the 20th century (on the Mersey) was just at Cammell Laird's.

kat2

Historical correction for Philip, ** perhaps you should tell the people that wrote the article too as I simply copied and pasted it.
    here are the following corrections
    >RMS Mauretania (also known as "Maury"), sister ship of the Lusitania, was an ocean liner built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, and was launched on September 20, 1906.

>RMS Lusitania was a British luxury ocean liner owned by the Cunard Steamship Line Shipping Company and built by John Brown and Company of Clydebank, Scotland. Christened and launched on Thursday, June 7, 1906

like all information I usually post a reference link
    kat

like all things if information or links are incorrect then please advise on sites of correction (reference)
    regards
    kat

kat2

complete with photographs of the construction
    http://www.gifford.uk.com/news%20art...s%20161106.pdf

At Canada Gravelling dock
    The new facility includes the construction of a floating concrete platform 240m long by 28m wide in plan and up to 5m deep, with a draft of approximately 3m
    kat

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    complete with photographs of the construction
    http://www.gifford.uk.com/news%20art...s%20161106.pdf

At Canada Gravelling dock
    The new facility includes the construction of a floating concrete platform 240m long by 28m wide in plan and up to 5m deep, with a draft of approximately 3m
    kat
    Kat2.
    I've tried to send you a private email but I can't.
    I don't know where you're getting these pieces from, but the word is Graving Dock.
    BTW, I'm not an expert on shipping!

kat2

Ive set not to recieve emails as I like to be open and honest, like I said normally I post links to all information as I find it, I am sorry about my miss spelling of the word Graving for Gravelling. I too am not an expert and can only post what I beleive to be correct from the scource sites, I do not cross reference information that I feel is from a national company of such importance as not to get their information wrong.
    like all things this is a trend with the internet, (sadly) where there can be inaccuracys of information.
    kat

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast