Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal

Lyme Bay

I would have thought the Navy ship should have anchored mid river and let the cruise ship dock at the terminal...
    "Such Power Exists?"

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Waiting for the Saga Rose to come back, missed that boat the last time and It looked so cool In the pictures too.

I think the Saga Rose is back from its cruise around Greenland and Iceland on 29th July (next Tuesday) and probably docking towards Crosby.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I would have thought the Navy ship should have anchored mid river and let the cruise ship dock at the terminal...
    My thoughts too, but it was interesting watching the Crystal Symphony being towed upriver and then turned round.

Last edited by PhilipG; 07-29-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Is the Saga Rose still there?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Is the Saga Rose still there?
    The Saga Rose is up in the Langton Dock, Max.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Ah well, might go to Seacombe or Woodside the Grand Princess and the skyline.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Ah well, might go to Seacombe or Woodside the Grand Princess and the skyline.
    Don't forget your camera, Max, and post some pictures on here.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

The Grand Princess voyagers will open their drapes to see the Royal Liver Buildings.

The Saga Rose voyagers paid a little less and open their drapes to the scrap metal heap.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    My thoughts too, but it was interesting watching the Crystal Symphony being towed upriver and then turned round.

cheers for posting those. I was at a christening on that sunday and couldn't get down to see her. I also forgot that were was due to be a liner in last Saturday , did anyone photograph that one?
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Blog Entries

Delphin Voyager arrives in Liverpool

MORE than 600 cruise passengers were being welcomed to Liverpool today as the latest liner to arrive in the Mersey docked at the city?s multi-million pound Pier Head terminal. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I think the Grand Princess is here again on Friday.

Passengers cruise into Pier Head terminal
    Aug 20 2008
    by Liza Williams, Liverpool Daily Post

MORE than 600 cruise passengers were welcomed to Liverpool yesterday as the latest liner to arrive in the Mersey docked at the city?s multi-million pound Pier Head terminal.

The MV Delphin Voyager berthed alongside the Princes Dock waterfront at 8am.

The 23,000-ton ship, which has a top speed of 22 knots and was built in Japan in 1990, has 325 staterooms and a three-storey central atrium, and can carry a maximum of 650 passengers.

It is owned by the German-based Hansa company, and is on a 12-night cruise which started in Bremerhaven and is taking in a tour of the British Isles and Ireland.

The ship has already visited Falmouth, Waterford and Dublin, and, after leaving Liverpool at 5pm, it headed off north to Scotland.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Blog Entries

Default megacruise liner visits liverpool

Aug 23 2008 by Peter Elson, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL is set to break another record when it welcomes a megacruise liner for the first time next year.

Such is the popularity of the city with US cruise passengers that Princess Cruises will deploy its new 116,000 ton megaliner, Crown Princess, on regular cruises calling at the city.

Her visits will set a new record as the biggest cruise liner to berth in the city on her 12-night round Britain trips from Southampton.

The announcement comes as Liverpool prepares to host one of the biggest weekends of Capital of Culture year, including Mathew Street Festival and the World Firefighter Games.

With Liverpool having proved itself able to attract the crucial US passenger market who fly into the UK for these voyages, Princess Cruises decided that more capacity was needed with the bigger ship.

The line?s 109,000 ton Grand Princess ? the largest cruise liner to dock in Liverpool so far ? made her fourth and final call of the season here yesterday.

Already the city?s commerce and tourism has benefited from Grand Princess disgorging 2,600 passengers ashore for the day ? a boost few other beleaguered British retail centres can enjoy.

With an extra deck of cabins, Crown Princess ? dubbed by her owners as the ?crown jewel of the fleet? ? will bring 3,080 passengers and 1,200 crew each time she calls at Liverpool.

As Princess Cruises? sales and marketing activity continue until departure day, every ship sails with a full complement of passengers.

Angie Redhead, Liverpool Cruise Terminal manager, is ?thrilled? by the news of Crown Princess?s visits in 2009 and puts the achievement down to ?good planning?.

She said: ?This all stems back to our success in handling Cunard's QE2 on her visit to inaugurate the new landing stage and terminal in October 2007.

?Both Cunard and Princess Cruises are owned by Carnival Corporation.

?Their managers were sufficiently impressed by what we did to bring Grand Princess here on her round-Britain cruises this summer.

?This has proved so popular with Liverpool named by passengers as a favourite place to visit that Princess Cruises felt it worthwhile bringing a bigger ship in next year.

?I?m so happy everything is going so well.

?Liverpool has shown its best side to so many international visitors who would never have come without the cruise terminal being open.?

Grand Princess?s Liverpool call was the first for her master, Capt Tony Herriott, in 30 years, when he was a cadet officer on a P&O cargo ship. ?Today was a very different experience from being down in the docks in 1978. It?s a wonderful location here with the Liver Buildings right in front ? one of the best in Britain,? said Capt Herriott, 49.

Concerns that the Mersey would be too tricky a river for handling these huge liners proved unfounded and the Liverpool Pilot Service now prides itself on the ease of docking such vessels.

Liverpool pilot Chris Booker, who brought Grand Princess in to Liverpool, said: ?It?s about meticulous planning.

?With a ship of this size, you can?t take any chances, but everything ran very smoothly.?

Crown Princess is the first Princess Cruises liner to offer an Engagement Under The Stars opportunity to passengers, so fiances can propose to their partners on the giant outdoor cinema screen.

Another innovation is a three-deck high performance venue, called the Piazza.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Great photos everyone
    I was lucky enough to see the Grand princess in Southampton and have to say she's huge I was very sceptical about it actually being able to dock there, but those tugmen are brilliant at manoevering
    I also saw the QM2 there, and she is also enormous...more like a block of flats than a liner Personally I've never fancied cruising on the big liners, far to impersonal and a tad intimidating I think. However I have been on a couple of cruises on the Van Gogh - even cheaper than Saga Rose - visiting Norwegian Fjords on the first one. I then went to the Baltic Capitals and St. Petersburg which was fantastic. My last cruise on the Van Gogh was to the North Cape and it was fantastic to see the sun go down and re-appear seamlessly. We then returned to the ship for a barbecue...at 2a.m.!!! It just never got dark so everyone stayed up all night and nobody was tired amazingly Sadly the Van Gogh is no longer in service as Travelscope went into liquidation so no more cruises with them unfortunately. It was a lovely little ship and everyone got to know everyone else during the trip. The staff and crew were amazing and the highlight of the russian trip was being taught on board by a russian singer to sing Kalinka. About a dozen of us formed a 'choir' and after just three days Yuriy put us in the talent show! We wore our brightest outfits, the men wore their shirts back-to-front and bought russian fur hats and the ladies went to the craft afternoon and made head-dresses. It was the best fun and we got a standing ovation None of us were singers at all, but what a brilliant experience to sing in russian and have so much fun doing it
    Health problems have precluded holidays for the last 18 months or so, but I'm hoping next year will be different I have managed a few weekend breaks and day trips but it's not the same as two weeks away

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast