Thread: dickenson street/canning street/kent street

Default dickenson street/canning street/kent street

Does anyone know anything about the bombing of this area near dingle in december of 1941??/ i have been reading the book tram ride to dingle and am interested in finding out more about what buildings and streets were bombed at that time. I think i read that st mark's church got hit. Was it a bomb or was it a plane crash also does anyone know or remember or are you all too young??? any help would be most gratefully recieved. thanks.
    shirley

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the bombing of this area near dingle in december of 1941??/ i have been reading the book tram ride to dingle and am interested in finding out more about what buildings and streets were bombed at that time. I think i read that st mark's church got hit. Was it a bomb or was it a plane crash also does anyone know or remember or are you all too young??? any help would be most gratefully recieved. thanks.
    shirley
    Those streets are not in Dingle, they are near the centre at the bottom of Park Lane. The Customs House was fire bombed in Canning Place. I think the buildings opposite St James Cinema were bombed. Nothing actually on Park Place and Park Rd was bombed, although streets off these were. The corner of Hill St and Mill was bombed I believe.

The empty lots along the bottom of Park Lane were bomb sites, like near opposite the Swedish church.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thanks for that. Just presuming it was dingle because of the book tram ride to dingle with those areas in it. i am interested in the bit of park lane that is near to Kent street and Sparling street-particularily the block that was across from wapping goods station and also across from the pub formerly called the mayfair and finally the Kean's Hotel. I was told the pub the old curiosity vaults took a direct hit from a bomb and a child amongst others were killed-maybe in the hits of december 1941??? Trying to gather info really-thanks waterways.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Thanks for that. Just presuming it was dingle because of the book tram ride to dingle with those areas in it. i am interested in the bit of park lane that is near to Kent street and Sparling street-particularily the block that was across from wapping goods station and also across from the pub formerly called the mayfair and finally the Kean's Hotel. I was told the pub the old curiosity vaults took a direct hit from a bomb and a child amongst others were killed-maybe in the hits of december 1941??? Trying to gather info really-thanks waterways.
    It was called Tram Ride to Dingle because the photos followed the route of the first electric trams in Liverpool in 1898.
    Initially the route terminated at the Dingle where tramsheds were built.