Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Old Bollards

Default Very Old Bollards

Has anyone come across any really old ones, or have photographs of them.
    I have seen some like cannons and some ribbed square ones, these were on photographs dated 1890 to 1900.
    The square ones I have not seen in other Towns.
    Be nice to know some locations or pics of them please.

You can find a couple of pictures of surviving ones in Google images. There were scores of these around Liverpool at one time, used to block off a street to wagon traffic or set against the corner of building to protect the stonework from the hubs of heavy wagons. I was in the City Lighting Department in Kent Street in the late 70s and there were stacks of them piled up there along with old lamp posts. There was some sort of a drive on to standardise street furniture at the time and so all the 19C stuff had to be removed. I was told at the time that they had been taken from captured ships during the Napoleonic wars but I don't know how true this is. They went for scrap I guess.

For the past couple of years I've kept my eye out for the older type of cannon/ball bollards. There are very few around, most having being replaced by newer 'fake' ones. I've seen the other type you mention in Pall Mall and a few other places...if you mean the ones painted black and white. Here's some of the older type:

Caryl Street has a row, of about a dozen, short cannon-type bollards. I don't think I've seen this small type anywhere else, in these numbers. Recent work installing railings around the houses, could mean these have to be removed.

Leather Lane, Princes Street, Lower Bank View. These all have a style that I thought was the most authentic of a cannon/ball. I have pics of these ones, somewhere.
    Last edited by marky; 02-05-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    You can find a couple of pictures of surviving ones in Google images. There were scores of these around Liverpool at one time, used to block off a street to wagon traffic or set against the corner of building to protect the stonework from the hubs of heavy wagons. I was in the City Lighting Department in Kent Street in the late 70s and there were stacks of them piled up there along with old lamp posts. There was some sort of a drive on to standardise street furniture at the time and so all the 19C stuff had to be removed. I was told at the time that they had been taken from captured ships during the Napoleonic wars but I don't know how true this is. They went for scrap I guess.
    It was true. They were mainly captured French guns - some British. They were used in Liverpool and London. On the Corner of St. John's Wood High St and Circus Rd in London a few French cannons are still there with the French crests on the guns.

There are a few still around Liverpool mainly in the old streets off the Dock Rd.
    Last edited by Waterways; 02-04-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    For the past couple of years I've kept my eye out for the older type of cannon/ball bollards. There are very few around, most having being replaced by newer 'fake' ones. I've seen the other type you mention in Pall Mall and a few other places...if you mean the ones painted black and white. Here's some of the older type:

Caryl Street has a row, of about a dozen, short cannon-type bollards. I don't think I've seen this small type anywhere else, in these numbers. Recent work installing railings around the houses, could mean these have to be removed.

Leather Lane, Princess Street, Lower Bank View. These all have a style that I thought was the most authentic of a cannon/ball. I have pics of these ones, somewhere.
    This is a brilliant thread.
    I have been thinking about it for a while
    I have some pics somewhere
    Will dig them out.

Blog Entries

You are all talking bollards

......I'll get my coat.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Gateacre Bollards

There's an interesting set of old Bollards in Gateacre. Here's a few shots I took in 2006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 009.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	5091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 019.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	5092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 021.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	5093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 023.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	5094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 034.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	5095  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gateacre Liverpool  Aug  2006 038.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	5096  

Blog Entries

Come to think of it Taffy, there are 2/3 bollards opposite Garston Park (Island Rd side) that surround the street lamp on a tiny island.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    There's an interesting set of old Bollards in Gateacre. Here's a few shots I took in 2006
    They look like purpose made bollards. The cannons were improvised bollards.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    It was true. They were mainly captured French guns - some British. They were used in Liverpool and London. On the Corner of St. John's Wood High St and Circus Rd in London a few French cannons are still there with the French crests on the guns.

There are a few still around Liverpool mainly in the old streets off the Dock Rd.
    I would love to see photographs of any cannons that are still being used as bollards in Liverpool. Thanks in advance.

This was probably a common thing in seaports worldwide in the nineteenth century, that old cannons would be used as bollards.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

DaisyChains

This is the road at the back of Rodney St (can't remember the name, any clues?!)

Default Garston Bollards

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Come to think of it Taffy, there are 2/3 bollards opposite Garston Park (Island Rd side) that surround the street lamp on a tiny island.
    Yes I was thinking of those too. Never photographed them !!! A job for tomorrow I think.

Taffy
    Thanks for pics, I have seen many an old photo (1890-1900) with lots of these bollards around a large lamp post.

DaisyChain
    The pics you have posted are the ones I was thinking about (ribbed square bollards) without the solid plain base.
    Pics of war period have them painted with white & black bands I think.

Pity they got rid of them, great street furniture.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by xkopite View Post
    Taffy
    Thanks for pics, I have seen many an old photo (1890-1900) with lots of these bollards around a large lamp post.

DaisyChain
    The pics you have posted are the ones I was thinking about (ribbed square bollards) without the solid plain base.
    Pics of war period have them painted with white & black bands I think.

Pity they got rid of them, great street furniture.
    Thanks
    Those are still there

Here are some examples of modern cast bollards made to look like cannons as well as a couple that look like DaisyChain's back of Rodney Street bollards which might imply that those bollards are not that old after all:

Bespoke Bollards Special Commissions -- from a Greenwich firm named Furnitubes Street Furniture.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast