Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Herbert Balmer thread.

Blog Entries

Bert Balmer had been seriously ill prior to his heart attack, I remember Charles Connolly telling me that his daughter Tina was a Nurse, the Ward Sister, and he went to visit her on the ward one day. As he walked into the ward he saw Bert Balmer lying in the first bed. He said Bert turned white when he saw Charles, Charles just acknowledge him and then went on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by laura anne View Post
    What is it that you would like to know about Bert Balmer? I never knew there was so much interest in him? He died in 1970 from a massive hear attack. Please let me know specific questions and I will do my best to answer any I can. I am his grand-daughter and I am just as interested to know anything I can about the cases he was involved in.
    Read the Cameo Conspiracy by George Skelly. From this you'll learn that a innocent young man died (whilst another had his life blighted), due to fabricated evidence by the Police. The lead investigating officer was Balmer.

Google The Cranborne Road Murder. Again two young men were sent to the gallows for a crime they apparently did not do. Again fabricated evidence. The lead investigating officer was Balmer.

Captain Kong describes Balmer holding him by the throat and slapping him. Kong was a child of 14 yo. In my view Balmer was not a good man........sorry Laura.

Welcome to the forum Laura. Did you know your grandfather?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If you consult the book `Off The Cuff` by Swasie Turner, he makes reference to Bert Balmer. I believe he was famous across the world in Police circles for starting a section in the Liverpool Police called "The Commando's" - a sort of undercover forerunner to the OSD.
    Swasie Turner now has a follow up out called 'If the cap fits'.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I am Mildred's daughter, Bert's second eldest grandchild. My grandpa died when I was just seven years old. My memory of him is that he was the most patient and loving grandfather. My mother said he was a wonderful father who encouraged her in everything she did. I'm obviously finding some of the negative comments quite difficult. Will read the books as I need more information and will speak to my mother again. Didn't know that in 2003, the Cameo Two verdict was quashed by the Court of Appeal. Was up in Liverpool in April with my mother who is now 80 and visited some of her old haunts. They did indeed live in Lingfield Grove. Sorry to Captain Kong. My son is 14, so what can I say. I have always been against the death penalty - was even disgusted it was used with Saddam Hussein.

Blog Entries

Dont appologise Laura Anne, it was quite normal in those days to get a slapping off Policemen, They should do it today, it would keep the yobs in line. Even Hanging was normal, very few people seemed to question it.
    Detectives had to used many methods to get results or the public would be screaming that nothing was being done to catch criminals.
    I think in many cases public opinion was far more important than the victims or the innocent.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Brian is quite right about what was acceptable in the past, being unacceptable now - there's so many things like this. Unlike Brian I defo don't think anyone should be allowed to use physical violence on anyone, but I agree there are times when I could quite happily punch someone!!!

The conviction was indeed quashed and you can actually read the Appeal Judgement here:

http://www.ccrc.gov.uk/cases/case_referred.asp?id=349

I'm glad that you and your mum remember a kind man.

Just one thing........I wouldn't be asking your mum questions unless absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Just one thing........I wouldn't be asking your mum questions unless absolutely necessary.
    Got to agree, some things best left alone?

Here is a picture of your grandfather as a sailor around about 1924 before he joined the Police. He sailed to South America and the Bahamas and joined Liverpool City Police in 1926 on the advice of his commanding officer as there was little prospects for him in the Merchant Navy with the onset of the General strike.

This is the last house that he lived in and I guess you will remember it. 12 Dunsdon Road, Woolton

Thank you for such prompt responses and kind messages. All I can say is why and how could he have let this happen? Even if there was a tiny fraction of a doubt he should have done something. Yes, police forces were different in those days but that is no excuse. In his quite senior position he could have been different, he could have tried to change the way things were doned. I always looked up to my grandpa as a hero figure and I still do but this is very disturbing. Have already reserved the book 'Off the Cuff' with my local library. I just want the book to paint an accurate, unbaised picture. Quite ironic that I just want to hear and know the truth.

I know there is a 'Balmerologist' out there apparantly and I'll be happy to answer any questions. I do know he did many good things during his time in the police and was well respected by many people.

Just for the record Jacky Balmer was no relation. Also he was not ashamed of his working class roots, not quite sure where that has come from. Also, once again, Captain Kong I am so sorry about the way you were treated.

Laura, The "Balmerologist" is probably me. I have a lot of photos and clippings etc of your Grandfather. I know quite a few people that knew him but there is very little information held about him on the net or otherwise.

The book to read is "The Cameo Conspiracy" by George Skelly. It will illustrate Berts methods and is not for the faint hearted. Swasie Turner was just a Constable who would have worked at the same time your grandfather when he was the Acting Chief Constable. Swasie retired in the 90s as a Sergeant but had spent a great deal of his service in the Main Bridewell. Berts office was also by the main Bridwell at cheapside but in the 1950s.

I doubt you knew your Grandmother Constance. I think she may have died before you were born?

Many thanks for the pictures. Am intrigued to know how you got the old one? Don't think even my mum has that one because I would have seen it. Are we related at all, distant cousins maybe?

Remember Dunsden Road very well, particularly rushing up to the front door to press the bell and playing in the garden.

Underworld,

Thank you for your message. George Skelly hated my grandpa as my mum has talked about him. Will his book be accurate and unbiased? You mention 'Bert's methods'. Why am I starting to get a sinking feeling? I do remember my granny and I loved her. She died when I was about five so my memories are few. She was also quite ill before she died. I wear her engagement ring - given to her by Bert - and like to think that she is watching over me!

Do you remember Elsie Weston?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast