Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Herbert Balmer thread.

Any right minded person would have turned the pair of them in.

Can anyone help me, I am a proffesional artist, and the Cameo Cinema murder's have always bothered me, I was 12yrs old at the time of this terrible miscarriage of justice, can anyone remember what the weather was like on this fateful evening, was it very dark at 9pm, and also was it raining etc etc
    Thank You
    Drufter

It would be interesting to learn whether Balmer's grandaughter did in fact obtain copies of the Cameo books, and having read them, what she now thinks of her Grandfather?

Yes, I did indeed read the book. What do I think of my Grandpa now? Well....disappointed, ashamed and very angry at his cruel and shocking behaviour. Probably the same emotions you would feel had Bert been your grandfather. However, as they always say, there are two sides to every story and I would so like to have been able to hear his. I do not know why he did what he did and how he could live with himself. As a grandfather, I have to say, he was perfect, and I have very fond memories of him.

Laura Anne, reading the book must have been a very painful experience for you. Your expressed sentiments about your grandfather however, mark you out as a noble woman. And in all fairness, I suppose, at the end of the day, it's true what they say about blood being thicker than water.

By the way a message to "Serendipidy". I cannot open your private message.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dick View Post
    Laura Anne, reading the book must have been a very painful experience for you. Your expressed sentiments about your grandfather however, mark you out as a noble woman. And in all fairness, I suppose, at the end of the day, it's true what they say about blood being thicker than water.

By the way a message to "Serendipidy". I cannot open your private message.

Yes she did well to read the book. The PM just delete it loads
    of people, including me, got the same message

Thank you for your kind message. I don't think I've ever been called 'noble' before - been called lots of other things though!!

Laura Anne,
    I recall seeing your father (in civvies)in Liverpool city centre in the 60s and he struck me then as very tall. Yet I've seen a photo of him in uniform and he seemed quite small. How tall was he actually?
    Also, I have seen him in a documentary film aabout Liverpool in the 1960s called The Singing City, and his voice seemed to be quite nasal, light and rather "tinny". I do not mean anything derogatory by saying that, but am I right?

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Sorry, I meant your grandfather, Mr Balmer!

Bert was tall, he must have been over 6 foot - maybe 6' 1. With regards to his voice, well I have seen the film that you are talking about as Chris sent me a copy. He certainly doesn't have a Liverpudlian accent but there is definately a northern 'burr'. I think he has quite a deep, reassuring voice, with a confident manner.

Blog Entries

Laura Anne.

When I went to the Vindicatrix Reunion six weeks ago in Gloucestershire, I met a lady who said she is a relation of Bert Balmer, grand daughter or neice
    She lives with her husband, a Vindi Boy, ex Seaman, in Southport. Do you know her??

Bert's only other grand-daughter lives in London, so the lady you spoke to probably would have been Bert's niece. I don't know her unfortunately. Thanks for the message though Brian. Do you mind me asking what a Vindi boy is?

Blog Entries

VINDI BOYS.

When we were sweet 16 and wanted to go away to sea in the Merchant Navy , we were sent to a training school and ship for three months to learn seamanship before being sent to our first ship.
    The training ship was called Vindicatrix, ex Arranmore an old Cape Horner.
    All boys who went there became known as `Vindi Boys` after the Vindicatrix.
    We now have an association and have a reunion every August at the site of the old Training school in Sharpness, Glos.where all the Vindi Boys meet up and swing the lamp. There are usually around 800 attending, One time 1500 turned up. That is one big reunion. Usually lasts for about four days.

She would probably be around 50 or 60 years old so could be his neice. she is married to a Londoner who we call `Dell Boy`.

Sounds like a great time is had by all Brian. My mum only kept in touch with one of Bert's sisters. Her name was Lucy and she did have a daughter, so the lady you met may have been her.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456