Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Liverpool Welsh ( A happy thread )

Default Welsh Chapel , Chapel Rd, Garston

For those who wish to learn more about the history of the Welsh in Garston, I'd recommend the privately published 50 page new booklet " Chapel Road Garston" by Arthur Thomas. It's an excellent read. Copies available from the Garston & District Histoical Society

One of my favourite trees: an ancient yew on the shore of Lake Bala, 2004

Sunrise: Lyn Tegyd, August 2001
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    That reminds me, has anyone ever seen that house on the Denbigh moors (in the distance)? We used to always drive past it. When we went again some years later, it looked like it was decaying...
    Is it the great big place? I defied the 'keep out' signs and went for a mooch around it twenty-odd years ago. Fantastic place- no roof but a very impressive fireplace in a room full of sheltering sheep. It's called Gwylfa Hiraethog, which, I'm told, translates as 'watchtower of the Hiraethog mountains'. It was in a bad state back then so must be terrible by now.
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Quote Originally Posted by knowhowe View Post
    Is it the great big place? I defied the 'keep out' signs and went for a mooch around it twenty-odd years ago. Fantastic place- no roof but a very impressive fireplace in a room full of sheltering sheep. It's called Gwylfa Hiraethog, which, I'm told, translates as 'watchtower of the Hiraethog mountains'. It was in a bad state back then so must be terrible by now.
    oh, I know that building. it has been derelict for years. Not sure if it is still there. I will look out for it.

I'm resisting the temptation of posting more photos of Wales.

... it's a case of 'don't start me !!' - - - I LOVE Wales and I have trillions of photos and video footage. There's hardly any part of north Wales I havn't been to. I have some fab pics. There are just too many.

Quote Originally Posted by knowhowe View Post
    Yes, that sounds like it. It looked big. I've got some photos of it from about 20 years ago. I'll dig them out and put them up here. Thanks for the anecdote - really interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I'm resisting the temptation of posting more photos of Wales.

... it's a case of 'don't start me !!' - - - I LOVE Wales and I have trillions of photos and video footage. There's hardly any part of north Wales I havn't been to. I have some fab pics. There are just too many.
    I know exactly what you mean lindylou! Put them up anyway!! (Maybe we should start a 'Welsh' thread on its own )
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Yes, that sounds like it. It looked big. I've got some photos of it from about 20 years ago. I'll dig them out and put them up here. Thanks for the anecdote - really interesting!

I know exactly what you mean lindylou! Put them up anyway!! (Maybe we should start a 'Welsh' thread on its own )
    Maybe in the photograph section ??

Great!
    It is Accomplished

I'm off to Llanwrst in June, a few of us staying over the weekend for a landmark birthday celebration. We love Wales too, the usual places though, Betswycoed, Bala Lake, Swallow Falls, Caernavon, Rhyl, Abergele, Llandudno, Colwyn Bay and the Welsh mountain zoo. Stayed at the Robin Hood camp, Lyons' - one in Towyn too. Been the sea world in Angelsey - in fact my brother lived in Bangor for a few years in the late 70s.

Yes, keep posting those pics.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yes, keep posting those pics.
    we will ... in our new thread

I am posting these pics here as it is information rather than just photos.

The legend of Beddgelert:
    http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/gelert.html

http://www.beddgelertonline.co.uk/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small bed0.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	6037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grave.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	6038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0g bed.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	6039  

Welsh salute to Liverpool links
    Apr 19 2008
    by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

CAPITAL of Culture spreads across the border next month when Liverpool links are celebrated at a Welsh arts festival.

A new play telling the story of Liverpool evacuees in World War II and a performance by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra are among the highlights of the Wrexham Arts Festival 08.

Fifteen major events take place between May 2 and June 7, many of them involving Liverpool artists or celebrating the life of the city.

Claire Brock, of Wrexham borough council, said: “The festival is totally dedicated to “The Liverpool Connection”.

“North Wales has always had strong links with Liverpool and the theme has been chosen to celebrate the 2008 Capital of Culture.

“It's an exciting programme and many people have close connections with Merseyside.”

A concert by the RLPO at Wrexham’s William Aston Hall will kick off the festival on May 2, while Liverpool Cathedral organist Professor Ian Tracey will perform at St Giles church on May 10.

Music events include a concert involving a selection of songs from Liverpool, American saxophonist Scott Hamilton and Liverpool’s Lee Bolger, and a performance by the Mersey Beatles in an evening which also features members of Merseyside Dance Initiative’s Afro-Caribbean youth dance group.

Michael Stevens’ specially-commissioned new play We’ll Keep a Welcome, based on the experiences of children evacuated from Liverpool to north Wales, takes place at Rhos’s Stiwt theatre on June 5-6.

Wrexham’s arts centre and museum will host exhibitions celebrating Liverpool’s architecture and its Welsh community and culture.

The festival also includes a poetry competition on city life, and an “in conversation” of the author of the Liverpool Sagas, Val Williamson.

Full details of the arts festival programme are available by visiting www.wrexham.gov.uk

Source: Liverpool Echo

oh my god ged your coming to wales, i,ll have to tell the kids to stay indoors there's a madman coming down

debbie

Blog Entries

Feeling just a tad anti-Welsh this morning - no doubt I'll get over it.

I read yesterday that prescriptions in Wales are free - and that more people are registered with Welsh doctors than the population of the country. People living close to the border register over the border to get the free prescriptions.

Mentioned it to my wife and she told me her job pays £5,000 more in Wales and that there is a non-contributory pension fund (she's a government employee).

Somebody will no doubt correct me but it sounds like the Welsh are getting benefits funded, in part, by English tax payers.

Think I'll move there!

ooh interesting - I've always fancied living in Wales.

I wasn't aware about this. Might think about moving there after all

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast