Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Liverpool Welsh ( A happy thread )

kevin
    i am a scouser who moved to wales abt 25 years ago my husband is welsh my kids are welsh. i have never signed on the dole or had handout's, i used to pay for my prescriptions but now it's quite nice to go an get something free not that we have presc every day.
    but i,ll tell you something there is a women in our street who moved into her council house about 8 years ago with her kids having left a battered wife's home up the road. that women had everything done in her house, new bathroom,new kitchen, new window's she was the first one to get central heating, a year later her husband came to stay for about 7 month's with them. every one was in a uproar as they had all this done for her, we bought our house 3 years before she moved in so it did,nt bother us. we had the road done in the street ( to make it wider the trees where removed) but not much, she complained to the council that people where parking up on the curbs the only reason people did this was because to many cars in the street and they could not get past. she now has her finger's in all pies, she is a member on a new council coming out. no one talks to her because she complains about kids in the street.
    oh and quess where she's from ? (middlesborough)

she has her rent payed for,council tax payed for, school dinner's payed for, oh and she has never payed for prescriptions,or dentist.
    so when you say about the welsh getting free this and free that/
    it's not just welsh people who live here.

debbie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    kevin
    i am a scouser who moved to wales abt 25 years ago my husband is welsh my kids are welsh. i have never signed on the dole or had handout's, i used to pay for my prescriptions but now it's quite nice to go an get something free not that we have presc every day.
    but i,ll tell you something there is a women in our street who moved into her council house about 8 years ago with her kids having left a battered wife's home up the road. that women had everything done in her house, new bathroom,new kitchen, new window's she was the first one to get central heating, a year later her husband came to stay for about 7 month's with them. every one was in a uproar as they had all this done for her, we bought our house 3 years before she moved in so it did,nt bother us. we had the road done in the street ( to make it wider the trees where removed) but not much, she complained to the council that people where parking up on the curbs the only reason people did this was because to many cars in the street and they could not get past. she now has her finger's in all pies, she is a member on a new council coming out. no one talks to her because she complains about kids in the street.
    oh and quess where she's from ? (middlesborough)

she has her rent payed for,council tax payed for, school dinner's payed for, oh and she has never payed for prescriptions,or dentist.
    so when you say about the welsh getting free this and free that/
    it's not just welsh people who live here.

debbie
    Debbie,
    There is ALWAYS a bigger picture.
    I really didn't set out to wind you up or offend you.
    Kevin

hi kevin
    no worries
    i,m not normally like, it's just that to me you where having a go at the welsh and i class myself as an adopted welsh/scouser.
    i get the mick taken out of me here people trying to mimick my accent but i take it with a pinch of salt, isn,t it funny it does,nt matter where you are in the world people know where you come from.

debbie

Blog Entries

hi kevin
    no worries
    i,m not normally like, it's just that to me you where having a go at the welsh and i class myself as an adopted welsh/scouser.
    i get the mick taken out of me here people trying to mimick my accent but i take it with a pinch of salt, isn,t it funny it does,nt matter where you are in the world people know where you come from.

debbie
    I work in Cheltenham - how well do you think a scouse accent goes down there?

Blog Entries

My initial 'free prescriptions' comment was prompted by a series of events. It seems that both Scotland and Wales are providing certain things free which the English have to pay for - two most obvious examples are prescriptions and university fees. We've also ended up in a system whereby it appears that Scottish and Welsh MP's vote on matters purely affecting England, whilst English MP's have few impacts on what now happens in Scotland and Wales.
    I know this is an over-simplification, but do you get my drift?

I harbour no ill will towards the Scots and the Welsh over this, but blame our own politicians. Are we just paying the price for our previous conquests of those countries?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    must admit I'd never heard about it Pasha.
    .. after me saying that - I heard someone mention it on the radio yesterday.

I wasn't aware of it before this though.

Gnomie

Llanfyllin

Can anyone tell me any info on it please.

I have found out that my great grandfather was born there in 1880
    any ideas what kind of industry was in the area at that time.

any pics of the area now?

cheers

Tony

Default the website

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.h...anfyllin.shtml

hi gnomie what about this

debbie

Gnomie

Brilliant Stuff Thank you Pasha.

Interested read that

hi gnomie
    i,m glad you enjoyed it i was,nt sure if that's what you wanted, if you google it there is loads of information on the place

debbie

Default Llanfyllin

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Llanfyllin

Can anyone tell me any info on it please.

I have found out that my great grandfather was born there in 1880
    any ideas what kind of industry was in the area at that time.

any pics of the area now?

cheers

Tony
    Here's some more info

http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/...fyllmenu.shtml

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Cheers Taffy, great stuff, Thank You

Default Copper Mountain

Some snaps of Parys (Copper) Mountain in Anglesey where some of my family live. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parys_Mountain
    Its been seen in episodes of Dr. Who and I'm told used as a location in Mortal Kombat, but as this information came from a local in an Amlych pub who staggered into the door on his way out who knows!
    If you join the society (don't know the details yet other than web link: http://www.parysmountain.co.uk/) you can go down the old copper mine. A strange place with very unusual colours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8130112.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	6207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8130119.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	6208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8130123.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	6209  

Thanks Motorhemp. That's a place we intend to explore this year. We have been to Anglesey many times over the years and yet not been to Parys mountain.

Its well worth it even if just for the strange other-worldy feeling it emanates. Also told there is an underground lake in the mountain held back by ice and rubble which if it ever breaks through will wash Amlych away!!!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast