Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Liverpool Welsh ( A happy thread )

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    I think it is also legal for an Englishman to shoot a Scotsman (with a bow and arrow) if he is found within the walled city of York.

My family on my dad's side are Scottish, on my mam's side (mam being of Welsh origin) are welsh.

There is nothing down for me if I visit Chester and they find out.

I do like a pint in the Boot.

I have posted this to keep the thread going!

I've probably got this wrong - but I heard a strange little myth about the clock in Chester being built to face the other way from Wales - so the Welsh couldn't see the time !! Ha! Have you heard that one ?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I've probably got this wrong - but I heard a strange little myth about the clock in Chester being built to face the other way from Wales- so the Welsh couldn't see the time !! Ha! Have you heard that one ?
    You're quite right. If you look up at the Town Hall tower, there's a clock on three of its four sides- but the side facing Wales has none!
    It gives rise to the old saying that "Chester folk wouldn't give the time of day to the Welsh".
    Charming eh?
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Welsh to honour a city success story
    Jun 14 2008
    by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

ONE of the most famous members of Liverpool’s Welsh community is being celebrated in a special exhibition to mark Capital of Culture.

The links between Liverpool and North Wales will be highlighted in the six-week exhibition at the Welsh Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) highlighting department store founder Owen Owen.

Arts Council of Wales is backing the project which is being put together with the help of the Owen family.

Owen Owen’s great, great grand-daughter Genevieve Raw-Rees, a student in Liverpool, said: “The idea for the exhibition came about because the Arts Council Wales circulated information about Liverpool as the Capital of Culture and invited arts organisations to take part.

“MoMA Wales was interested and said yes.

“I live just off London Road opposite the site of the original Owen Owen store, and I’m delighted to have been asked to help put the exhibition together.”

Owen Owen was born in Machynlleth, the home of MoMA Wales, in 1847 and arrived in Liverpool in 1868 hoping to make his fortune.

The 21-year-old had spent several years working for his uncle’s drapery store in Bath.

He had £300 in his pocket and having already discovered trade was booming in Liverpool on an earlier visit, decided it was a town of opportunity.

Owen founded a small shop in London Road and, unable to afford any advertising, displayed a notice in the window saying: “This shop is opened to supply the public with the newest and best fancy goods at the lowest possible prices.”

The exhibition runs at the Machynlleth museum, between Dolgellau and Aberystwyth, from July 28 to September 6.

Source: Liverpool Echo

1881 Caergwrle Buildings, Wavertree Road/Thorburn Street. An early date-stone when compared with other major roads. I've seen other Welsh stones around, Bootle for example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25632502@N00/2681250581/

Hi, My mums mum was welsh (from Anglesey). Her family moved to Liverpool about 1900 and (from the 1891 census) her parents only spoke welsh, while their children were bilingual. I wonder how they got on with their Liverpool neighbours?

They lived in Walton - were there "welsh" parts of Liverpool where they all lived? My (scouser) grandad used to stay with them and had to learn welsh to be able to speak with them.

When I was small, my nan used to teach me a bit of welsh. I still feel an afinity with Wales, especially when driving along their roads with the signs written in welsh and english. Good on them for insisting on keeping the welsh language going.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Llanfyllin

Can anyone tell me any info on it please.

I have found out that my great grandfather was born there in 1880
    any ideas what kind of industry was in the area at that time.

any pics of the area now?

cheers

Tony
    Ohhh me too !, we could be related !

The other side of my family come from Amylch spelt Amlach on the 1851census everyone must know them the name was Thomas Hughes LOL !, seems to live in 8 "Tclyue" its hard to make out !.

Default VARIED FAMILY

Hi all, i'm a new member to your site and found you all by accident browsing & decided to join you. I have Scottish family on my Mother's side who were known as the fighting Mactaggarts in Scotland. They were renowned Barefist fighters who had a reputation for many years as people not to mess with. My mum wondered why they weren't mentioned very often at family gatherings, . My Dad's side who were called Parry came to Liverpool during the early years of the 20th C from a little Welsh village next to Ffestiniog and lived in St Domingo Road untill their deaths. They had 9 children who were all born in Everton and who all worked and stayed in the Liverpool areas. My Auntie Elsie worked at Hendersons at the time of the big fire.

Welcome to the forum Pennymeadow. Are you in Liverpool?.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Hi and welcome to the forum. There's lots of pics of Wales here too - -

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/pla...095-wales.html

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in sunny Skem (Skelmersdale). Love going to Liverpool, & travel there whenever i get the chance. Mainly visit Fairfield as i have an Auntie who has lived in the same house for 71 years, since she was 10.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Welcome to the forum Pennymeadow. Are you in Liverpool?.
    Noticed your American address Shytalk. Are you an expat yourself?. I have alot of family in Columbus, Indiana and Kentucky.They are very Southern in their accents and it was my Mum's Mum who went over to America as a Gi bride from Liverpool.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum. There's lots of pics of Wales here too - -

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/pla...095-wales.html
    Hi Lindylou, i have enjoyed looking through the forum containing all the wonderful photos that people have taken on their travels around Wales. They are stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by pennymeadow View Post
    Noticed your American address Shytalk. Are you an expat yourself?. I have alot of family in Columbus, Indiana and Kentucky.They are very Southern in their accents and it was my Mum's Mum who went over to America as a Gi bride from Liverpool.
    I'm in northeast Arkansas, I moved here from Florida in 2006 when I retired. I lived in Florida for 24 years but I am still pure scouse. Can't see any reason to get rid of an accent that is so good.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast