Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Irish getting remembered?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I go along with Lindylou on this. We are all proud to be Scousers. I was born in Liverpool but brought up in France and Ireland and although I am fluent in French, I think of myself as a Scouser.
    I am proud that we have the oldest Chinese settlement in Europe, right here in our city and I rejoice when they celebrate. When the Afro-Caribeans have their carnival, I join right in and I am made welcome. Not as a Frenchman nor an Irishman but as a Sccouser.
    I have witnessed some fantastic St. Patrick's day parades on the 17th March in Hawaii, New York, Paris and Lisbon. I really think it would be a great idea to have one here this year.
    Maybe Paddy O'Waterways will lead the march, join in and have a bit of a laugh ?
    that's exactly it Steven. I love all that our various cultures have to offer. I have had brilliant times at Caribbean carnival, I go to celebrate Chinese new year, I have good and long standing Argentinian friends who I was still in close contact with during the Falklands war (or Las Malvinas) - and I am still in regular contact with. I had a go at learning Spanish because of them
    I have had Asian friends and Irish friends. I have foreign neighbours who I get along with great.
    I am not well travelled, but I do love Spain. I love Wales and spend as much time as I can there.

but at the end of it all, I am a Scouser through and through. I never change my allegiance to that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I am the same as you Lindy. I am a Liverpudlian first and have no need to cling to some Scots or Irish or English background from eons ago.

I lived 3 years out of this country and fully appreciate other cultures.

That is the point I tried to make many posts ago.

I am a Liverpudlian.

End of.

I live in Donegal Ireland but I am originally from Derry, NI.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    that's exactly it Steven. I love all that our various cultures have to offer. I have had brilliant times at Caribbean carnival, I go to celebrate Chinese new year, I have good and long standing Argentinian friends who I was still in close contact with during the Falklands war (or Las Malvinas) - and I am still in contact with. I had a go at learning Spanish because of them I have had Asian friends and Irish friends.
    I am not well travelled, but I do love Spain. I love Wales and spend as much time as I can there.

but at the end of it all, I am a Scouser through and through. I never change my allegiance to that fact.
    You are correct in doing that Lindylou and thats the way it should be. But Im sure some of the people celebrating their Chinese New Year, Caribbean Carnivals etc where born and bred in Liverpool, but yet want to celebrate their ancestors arrival in Liverpool.

It takes all kinds of people to make a town, a city, a country.
    100% Irish

Steven

that's exactly it Steven. I love all that our various cultures have to offer. I have had brilliant times at Caribbean carnival, I go to celebrate Chinese new year, I have good and long standing Argentinian friends who I was still in close contact with during the Falklands war (or Las Malvinas) - and I am still in contact with. I had a go at learning Spanish because of them I have had Asian friends and Irish friends.

Well said I can't say I have many Argentinian friends (yet) I was in the Falklands and badly hurt. Pensioned off into teaching in 1982, but that's another story.

I hate to see fights and arguements. I realise that this is an open forum but it's better that people just agree to disagree when nothing is going to change their minds.
    In the last analysis, we are all Scousers on this Forum 'COS WE CHOSE to be, if for no other reason and I know that deep down inside, there is a great deal of respect between the members. Wouldn't it be boring if we couldn't have a bit of a 'Nark' (there is no other way of saying that word except in Scouse !) once in a while.

You never cooked any "Nark" for us Steven on our last visit.

Can I have the recipe?

That's exactly it though Molly .. if you read back thru' the posts it was stated that there are so many nationalities and cultures, ie; all the ones we have mentioned - and more. So therefor, why single out one group of people ? Surely everyone has equal rights to be recognised?

In that case, where would it end !! we wouldn't be able to move for statues and plaques ( I'm sayiang that tongue in cheek)

.. and heaven forbid if we missed anyone out

There are just so many peoples to be remembered. How do you prioritise one over another ?

Gnomie

The thing is this; I am very broadminded about other cultures -and I always have been and always will be. The diversity of this globe is fascinating and there is so much to learn from others. I have, many friends and family from all different walks of life, and I take great interest in learning about other peoples' histories and experiences.
    I don't want to be anyone else though, I am satisfied to be a Scouser and I don't need to cling to any other identity - I am quite confident in my Liverpool identity, and I am SO glad I had the fortune of being born in this city.
    I am certainly 'Scouseproud' - but that doesn't mean that I will decry any other culture.
    I agree Lindy

Look at my first post, i never once had a go at any other culture, never once said the Irish are above any other group, I just said I would like to see something to remember the Irish in this city. I like other cultures and have other cultures in my history.

However it seems i was confused, my history books lied. It turns out hardly any came here, and not many people have Irish blood?????????

When idiots come out with crap about a group they do not like then i am entitled to have a go back. and i always will.

I stand by everything i say, and that racist can jump in some waterway for all i care.

and if he answers, then i cant hear him

Steven

Let it pass now Tony. If you are the man I think you are then you will be the strong one and 'Let it be.'

We all know what floats on Waterways

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

Hey Gerry ! I am trying to pour oil on troubled Water (ways) here. Shall we let all this pass now ?

Okee Dokee.

But I still want that recipe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Graceful yachts.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molly View Post
    Then why come across as racist to the Irish?
    I haven't.

how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I live in Donegal Ireland but I am originally from Derry, NI.

That's exactly it though Molly .. if you read back thru' the posts was stated that there are so many nationalities and cultures, ie; all the ones we have mentioned - and more. So therefor, why single out one group of people ? Surely everyone has equal rights to be recognised?

In that case, where would it end !! we wouldn't be able to move for statues and plaques ( I'm sayiang that tongue in cheek)

.. and heaven forbid if we missed anyone out

There are just so many peoples to be remembered. How do you prioritise one over another ?

I dont know how you prioritise one group over another, but what I do know is that there ARE alot of Irish people living in Liverpool, including members of my own family, and some very close friends with Irish ancestory.

Waterways was being very racist and bigoted towards the Irish and their music and as a member of this forum I have the right reply.
    100% Irish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    When idiots come out with crap about a group they do not like
    You are very confused.