Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Irish getting remembered?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    waterways i am a scouser i live in north wales but i have never heard that one before.
    I was in the Valleys and that is what they referred to the north as.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

maybe they mean rhyl? that way. saying that the north think the south is more english

I know some of the area along the coast (towyn etc) is referred to as 'Little Liverpool'
    It is Accomplished

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    maybe they mean rhyl? that way. saying that the north think the south is more english
    Or Welsh Cockneys.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The Irish is a minor part in fact, after others. The famine and city's role in it should be remembered, however an Irish festival? Nah. I know of no strong Irishness in our culture. I have never been the Irish Centre and the only lasting influence from Ireland we don't really need - the Orange and the Green, which is dying and has always been confined to working class areas anyway.

If we should celebrate a tenuous Irish connection, then we should also have one for the Welsh, Scandinavian, blacks and Orientals too.

In short, celebrate being Liverpudlians, the port for America, and a real melting pot that resisted strong external cultural influences, developing its own.
    There is a festival for 'orientals' the chinese new year, The Black community has the Carribean carnival and the Scandinavians have LFC! Ha ha

But seriously why shouldn't there be an Irish festival? No one is saying that the Irish are the predominant ethnic background of all Scousers but there is every reason to celebrate Irish culture and remember the tragic elelments of it. Afterall there is a slavery museum at the Albert Dock, I would like to see a museum on Scotland road about Irish history.

Gnomie

[QUOTE=Waterways;107120]T I have never been the Irish Centre and the only lasting influence from Ireland we don't really need - the Orange and the Green, which is dying and has always been confined to working class areas anyway.

QUOTE]

Confined to the working class areas. many of us are working class not snobs.

Libertarian

[QUOTE=Gnomie;107148]
    T I have never been the Irish Centre and the only lasting influence from Ireland we don't really need - the Orange and the Green, which is dying and has always been confined to working class areas anyway.

QUOTE]

Confined to the working class areas. many of us are working class not snobs.
    I agree. You can also be Irish middle class and successful Waterways...as many people over there and here are. Furthermore a celebration of Irishness means celebrating the best of Ireland not the terrorists,extremists or sectarians.

Libertarian

Wouldn't it be brilliant if there was a museum of Irish history on the site where the best way is. Imagine a stunning piece of architecture there as you drove into the city with a park.

Steven

Libertarian has made statements which are to be applauded

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Libertarian has made statements which are to be applauded
    Thank you Steven I really do hope we can now call a truce! I respect your posts and you seem like a nice person, I am not a nasty person just opionated.

I live in Donegal Ireland but I am originally from Derry, NI.

The Irish is a minor part in fact, after others. The famine and city's role in it should be remembered, however an Irish festival? Nah. I know of no strong Irishness in our culture. I have never been the Irish Centre and the only lasting influence from Ireland we don't really need - the Orange and the Green, which is dying and has always been confined to working class areas anyway.

If we should celebrate a tenuous Irish connection, then we should also have one for the Welsh, Scandinavian, blacks and Orientals too.

In short, celebrate being Liverpudlians, the port for America, and a real melting pot that resisted strong external cultural influences, developing its own.

As and Irish person The Orange and the Green will never go away but they can learn to live in peace.

As for it being confined to Working Class Areas thats just rubbish. I find that very offensive.
    100% Irish

Libertarian

of course any museum of Irish culture should not merely be confined to irish catholics although we did play a major part in developing the national consciousness. Irish Protestants played a massive role in Liverpool and America, and still do. The dissenting tradition is a massive force for good in Liverpool and any mueum could recognise and hope to heal the sectarianism in the past in this city and its links to the troubles in the recent past in ireland.

Blog Entries

I reckom we're all just mongrels.
    Having always known that my family, on my father's side, where from Greystones (just outside Bray) I consider my heritage to be Irish. I was shocked to learn, a few years ago, that my family moved from Yorkshire to Ireland in the 1700's (no idea why). I've always thought of myself as a Lancashire lad, as that is where Liverpool was when I was born.
    I now know I'm originally a Yorkie - oh the shame of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    There is a festival for 'orientals' the chinese new year, The Black community has the Carribean carnival and the Scandinavians have LFC! Ha ha

But seriously why shouldn't there be an Irish festival? No one is saying that the Irish are the predominant ethnic background of all Scousers but there is every reason to celebrate Irish culture and remember the tragic elelments of it. Afterall there is a slavery museum at the Albert Dock, I would like to see a museum on Scotland road about Irish history.

There is an Irish festival, and it happens every year, not just 2008.

http://www.liverpoolirishfestival.com/

And the Institute of Irish Studies at the University of Liverpool.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast