Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge Lane Development

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Not all of Holt Road? No! What is going on here? I heard that some land off Holt Road would be made availible for the Edge Lane folk but I thought that that was rejected a while back.

Last meeting I attended (albeit some time ago as I've given up going to them) they said that the whole area from Holt Road to Cameron St. would be demolished in 5 years time funding etc. permitting.

PS. Here's a pic of the Edge Lane proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways
    New house can be made to look like anything you want to. There is no sense is keeping crap energy inefficent buildings. It is cheaper to demolish and build proper houses.
    Cheaper to demolish old Victorians and rebuild the same Victorians from scratch with the same details but in energy efficient ways? Can it really be done, because it looks to me that they're not doing it. They're replacing Victorian design with modern design.

There was a property I know of that sold for 70,000. When the buyer tried to obtain insurance for the house, the insurance company said that under a rebuild policy they would need to insure for 160,000. Because even though the present house was worth 70,000, it would cost 160,000 to replace it. Would adding insulation and heating products to this house "as is" actually cost the buyer 90,000?

Why widen the road? I say just get rid of the cars. Everybody needs to walk or take the bus, trams and trains. Spend the money on police to protect us from the violent, anti-social, and drug elements in the community. Maybe if Liverpool did that, there would be fewer derelict properties they would have to worry about demolishing or refurbishing.
    Last edited by julia; 07-26-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Well according to North West Tonight (26th july) the residents interviewed said that the victorian houses lining Edge Lane would be demolished but the road wouldn't be widened one bit. The land would be used for yuppyhousing/apartments to be built on. Now, I don't want to put Kensington/Edge Hill down but I hardy think that this is the idea place for brand new Yuppy housing to be built. It would look very tacky seeing as the area is surrounded by terraces anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey
    Well according to North West Tonight (26th july) the residents interviewed said that the victorian houses lining Edge Lane would be demolished but the road wouldn't be widened one bit. The land would be used for yuppyhousing/apartments to be built on. Now, I don't want to put Kensington/Edge Hill down but I hardy think that this is the idea place for brand new Yuppy housing to be built. It would look very tacky seeing as the area is surrounded by terraces anyway!
    The idea is to hide Kensington, Wavertree, etc., behind a facade of apartments from the visitors to the European Capital of Culture 2008. It's a bit like when communist China used to put up hoardings along the side of the roads to hide the plight of the peasants from visiting dignitaries.

If I didn't know better, I would say that Liverpool City Council and English Partnerships are trying to hide Liverpool's heritage and victorian legacy away from prying eyes. Are they ashamed of what is there?

Personally, I would say that plonking yuppy housing in a traditional, victorian area is just goinf to cause more social problems. Also the clash is just going to make the place took grotty around the seams! Have these people have no consideraton for the people who have to live there?

Unfortunately this is what's happening here. See, for example, Liverpool gap between rich and poor highest in UK.
    According to the report Liverpool has emerged as the city having the greatest discrepancy between rich and poor.

It will come as little surprise to a city that has seen million-pound luxury apartments built among the most deprived households in Europe.

CACI compiles its results based on a system that estimates gross household incomes based on postcodes.
    ESTIMATES gross household incomes? ...Sounds like a pretty accurate survey to me!

The lowest household income in the country is £16,000...
    I'll bet many a pensioner household wishes they were on £16,000, ...or am I missing something?

Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

The long awaited Edge Lane Project is an ambitious programme of commercial,
    residential and infrastructure improvements that will rejuvenate an area that
    was once an economically thriving part of Liverpool and, at the same time,
    transform one of the most important routes into the city centre.

www.edgelane.com

They've built residential places like that already on Rathbone road on Wavertree.

I admit that Edge needs doing up as it's a pit and the kids around there are arses sometimes but what about the people who live there? Can;t just demolish like that.

Blog Entries

EDGE Lane can become the Speke Boulevard of north Liverpool, acting as a catalyst for jobs and investment. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    EDGE Lane can become the Speke Boulevard of north Liverpool, acting as a catalyst for jobs and investment. more
    I'm sure that thought will cheer up the people who are losing their homes.

Edge lane is the south Kev.

I don't know how the hell they can just take peoples home from them though, especially if they own it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Edge lane is the south Kev.

I don't know how the hell they can just take peoples home from them though, especially if they own it.
    It was a line from the Echo Max, anyway isn't Edge Lane East?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

A PLAN to transform east Liverpool at a cost of £350m has been unveiled by city development bosses.

Liverpool Land Development Company lifted the lid on its scheme to regenerate the so-called Edge Lane corridor - a busy route into the city from the M62 motorway.

More than 150 people attended the unveiling at the former Littlewoods building on Edge Lane - set to be converted into apartments, shops and a hotel.

David Waugh, chief executive of Liverpool Land Development Company, commented: "The Edge Lane Project will provide a new 'front door' for Liverpool in time for the city's Capital of Culture Year in 2008.

"As well as transforming Edge Lane itself the scheme will act as a catalyst for the wider regeneration of the whole of eastern Liverpool."

The project involves making the whole length of Edge Lane a dual carriageway to reduce congestion.

Bosses hope it will create and safeguard 1,900 jobs, improve local services and road safety and will see 100 new trees planted.

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "Many thousands of visitors to Liverpool use Edge Lane to enter the city and it is vital we have a gateway which makes a good first impression.

"This scheme will transform one of the major entrance points to Liverpool and improve life tremendously for local residents and businesses."
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast