Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge Lane Development

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    The next public enquiry may agree with you or it may not - we'll have to wait and see.
    Indeed!

kat2

Howie said>
    The majority of the properties affected were owned by private landlords or housing associations. There has been studies conducted that suggest the properties could have been brought up to modern day standards for less than the cost of the demolition let alone the rebuild>.

Howie, i am not sure where you get your information but thats certainly not correct. I have sat on many boards (housing association and council). And every time its not cost efficient to do them up. We have learnt the hard way over the years investing in old housing stock. There are that many regulations which year on year seem to change some eec directive some towards carbon emissions. What will you hear on the television in the next six months, well, community centers, brownfield site regeneration, ( tax consessions on brownfield sites) Parking an over all factor of modern day life and not victorian housing stock which has no secure parking. People dont want back alleys, they have told us so, they the community call them "rat runs", To do up old housing stock, you have to look at the whole community. have you heard of the decent homes standard? go read it and not to mention the building regulations which would have to be aheard to to bring old stock back into limited use. victorian houses were good in there day, Modern Housing stock if built to specification has great thermal value, smaller in size footprint more houses per sq footage than the old victorian stock. People want houses that are economical to run, have secure parking and a bit of a garden.
    kat

Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Howie said>
    The majority of the properties affected were owned by private landlords or housing associations. There has been studies conducted that suggest the properties could have been brought up to modern day standards for less than the cost of the demolition let alone the rebuild>.

Howie, i am not sure where you get your information but thats certainly not correct. I have sat on many boards (housing association and council). And every time its not cost efficient to do them up. We have learnt the hard way over the years investing in old housing stock. There are that many regulations which year on year seem to change some eec directive some towards carbon emissions. What will you hear on the television in the next six months, well, community centers, brownfield site regeneration, ( tax consessions on brownfield sites) Parking an over all factor of modern day life and not victorian housing stock which has no secure parking. People dont want back alleys, they have told us so, they the community call them "rat runs", To do up old housing stock, you have to look at the whole community. have you heard of the decent homes standard? go read it and not to mention the building regulations which would have to be aheard to to bring old stock back into limited use. victorian houses were good in there day, Modern Housing stock if built to specification has great thermal value, smaller in size footprint more houses per sq footage than the old victorian stock. People want houses that are economical to run, have secure parking and a bit of a garden.
    kat
    Couldn't agree more!

I couldn't agree more. If you can come up with schemes that allow existing homeowners in a community to remain homeowners in that community then fine, (it has been done in Toxteth). Why should somebody who has spent 25 years working and struggling to pay a mortgage be forced back to renting in their old age? They may as well have spent their life on the dole sponging off the state and getting a rent paid.

kat2

Red face

Yes, but look at what they are renting in, and a cash insentive to boot! modern day new housing stock with a bit of a garden some cash in their pockets to spend on the grand children or that caravan they always promised to buy but coudnt afford it .I beleive they may well offer shared ownership right to buy schemes.
    I know which option I would have a nice brand new house cash in my pocket, new clean environment in which to live, I mean do we ever own a house really own it? what happens when we die and theres nobody to leave the house too? if I was of a certain age I would look forwards too a maintanance or vertually maintainance free home, no worrys about paying to get the roof or boiler fixed come on, be honest if you were offered the cash and either the right to buy under shared ownership (right to buy) and was given cash in your pocket to perhaps buy that new car you never had the money for.
    woudnt you be tempted?

Kat
    Last edited by kat2; 07-12-2007 at 01:28 AM.

I'm a low waged public sector employee in my fifties with no savings. I've no desire to take on any further debt at my age or start paying out rent from my limited income. So no I'll stay living where I can afford to in the Victorian terrace that I paid for. Maybe I'll be dead before the CPO drops on my mat (if the experience of Edge Lane is anything to go by) and if the boiler packs up I'll replace it if I can and if not I'll manage without. If they do get round to demolishing my house and the Liverpool Canal Link has been completed perhaps a second-hand narrowboat would be an affordable option as a new home.

kat2

I can now fully understand why the council decided to invest in the city center first if its going to come up against this sort of approach to improvements to environmental surroundings.
    Kat

If there was a genuine concern for the environment they would be investing in public transport not road widening schemes.

PS How about a tram scheme?

kat2

its not just about widening a road its about bringing infra structure to the whole area, to encourage investment to improve social conditions. Look at the bigger picture developement and industry coming to the area. Like I said in my last post, I now fully appriciate the mindset of why the council decided to adopt the stratergy it has. Why bother with new trams, trains ect we have seen time and again that some public transport services will not go into certain areas at night, same with the fire service "no go areas". I suppose though if the people really do wish to live in these conditions and not be a burdon on the health service (poor housing conditions) then thats fine. I certainly remember years ago alot of people moaning about the poor condition of housing stock in which they lived, and of "getto areas", now all of a sudden there desired places! rofl! really! remember things like its "damp it gets on my chest you know!" I am supprised however that the council hasnt gone via the environmental acts and forced owners to bring their propertys up to standard.
    kat

Kat

If you've got a bit of time to spare read some of the articles from the following Google Search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_si...22Edge+Lane%22

Howie

kat2

Question

Hi, Howie,
    Thanku for the link they do however all point to the same website. I as I have said before, if people dont want to do up their own homes and live in a scruffly environment then thats fine,Theres alot more they understand about housing and construction now (and they continue to improve standards all the time) I mean who ever heard of lead paint being harmfull to health years back? , yes everyone in business wants a return on their investment who doesnt, its business after all but, if it moves things forwards improves environmental standards, open green spaces new parks (according to the edge hill video) wouldnt it be nice to look out and see trees? and a new park? anyway seriousley I hope it doesnt go ahead I hope the residents get what they deserve, no investment. Its far more expensive to do up old housing to modern day current, and I use the word current because european standards and legislation are being updated all the time.I think this isnt really about housing, I think its a long standing issue regarding corporate companies and how much they stand to gain, its sad really, when yes there has to be gain, but its about improvement too its about being realistic, its about health, its about standards of living, its about making homes more energy efficient, But at the end of the day, we must go with what the majority want.(But personally I feel this is outside influence against corporate companies and not about housing)
    kat
    Last edited by kat2; 07-13-2007 at 01:33 AM.

I just used the Liverpool Indymedia site as an example to provide some background. (It's also worth reading this thread from the beginning). The point I was making is that a lot of things have gone on over the last 5 or 6 years here in the Edge Lane/Kensington area of which you are probably unaware. And, as usual in Liverpool, where money is involved not everybody plays by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I'm a low waged public sector employee in my fifties with no savings. I've no desire to take on any further debt at my age or start paying out rent from my limited income. So no I'll stay living where I can afford to in the Victorian terrace that I paid for. Maybe I'll be dead before the CPO drops on my mat (if the experience of Edge Lane is anything to go by) and if the boiler packs up I'll replace it if I can and if not I'll manage without. If they do get round to demolishing my house and the Liverpool Canal Link has been completed perhaps a second-hand narrowboat would be an affordable option as a new home.

Howie, that could be me talking:

We are in the same age group as you, in our own house which we paid for ourselves - a Victorian terrace that has seen 5 generations of my family.
    We are on a limited income with no savings, we don't want to go in for another mortgage at our age, and even if we did we can't afford the current prices of property. If we were to move we would want to go to another 'better' location - but in the more desirable areas the prices are way out of any ordinary wage earners league.

Like you, we do what we can in maintaining our property, we replace things when they need it, etc.

I can see both sides here: I realise that of course we do need progress and move with the times. There are people in a postion like ourselves though, that cannot afford to move. Renting would be out of the question for me pesonally. I have always lived in my own property and wouldn't consider paying rent. it's not something I am used to and I've never had to do. Why should I go and pay rent when I live in a family home which we have striven to buy and to renovate to a high standard. Like Howie, we will stay here because we can afford it ... until such times that a windfall might drop into our laps and then I'm off !!!

I wouldn't mind moving out to make way for a road widening scheme only if they gave me enough compensation to move to Calderstones or Grassendale, or somewhere equally upmarket !! ha! ( but then we couldn't afford the high rates there !!)

kat2

Exclamation

So, you wouldnt want to move out and then back into a brand new house, central heating double glazed energy efficient, parking space for a car safe place for children to play, tree lined areas, the same spot where you are now but a brand new estate, new shops new business, new health centers? dispensation for the inconvienience of having to move out whilst the work is done,then a fixed rent over ex years? plus compensation for the value of your current home!
    Mixed tenure schemes do work and seem to becoming more popular.
    Anyway seems people want new homes for free (which is a pipe dream) I know which option I would take for example if you had a right to buy, think about this, your new home in the spot of the old home on a brand new desireable estate if you were paid sufficient compensation and went on a right to buy scheme, and could sell your new home think about how much profit could be made from such an investment?
    kat

Thumbs up

Did anyone see the picture of what the rocket junction will look like in the Merseymart. It looks great.
    I've noticed that the former carpet world and mfi on edge lane seem to be under demolition. This could mean that the retail park may be getting refurbished quite soon, I will try and find out.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast