Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Edge Lane Development

thanks ged. i do agree about the fine old houses on edge lane - hopefully some can be saved and integrated into the plan. that would be a good compromise.

Though I dont live in the area,I was aware that this has been rumbling on for years! I can respect Mrs Pascoe and her supporters opinions, to a point, but there's no escaping the fact that Edge lane is a main thoroughfare into the city, and should be treated as such! The importance to the city as a whole, should take priority over local protest,though they should be considered, after the failed Liverpool ring road, that just left areas bulldozed,and empty,for years.

I agree steve that Mrs Pascoe does have the right to protest but if she appeals again after the High Court ruling this week then this will be the third one (I think). Then there is the other new appeal to the European Commission concerning 'unfair state aid' which could potentially scupper house rebuillding plans not just for Edge Lane, but for Edge Hill, Fairfield, Wavertree and who knows where else. Mrs Pascoe has said that she is doing this for the wider community but the wider community who are directly affected just don't support her. I would hope that lessons have been learnt from the mess of some post war redevelopment. People have seen the plans for Edge Hill and like them. Mrs Pascoe might be pleasantly surprised if she were to see them come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_arry View Post
    Bit of a mystery, is Mrs Pascoe - where is all the money coming from to fund her appeals? Where is the advice coming from? I mean, what regular resident would think to appeal to the EC claiming 'unfair state aid' for a housing project, which is Mrs Pascoe's latest wheeze? The vast majority of Edge Hill residents want this scheme and the wider regeneration scheme to go ahead.

How can one person can wield such power and potentially affect the lives of so many other residents, including my parents, who are desperate for an improvement in their living conditions and want the new regeneration plans to go ahead. Mrs Pascoe is in the minority in her objections. We live in a democracy and Mrs Pascoe should accept this.

I know for a fact that my parents and their neighbours would be devastated if the regeneration is delayed further. Local councilor Louise Baldock, who represents Kensington and Fairfield, has also said the situation around Edge Lane was 'desperate' due to the huge number of empty homes.

My parents are now in their mid 60s and surrounded by half derelict and bricked up buildings. Unlike Ms Pascoe, they and their neighbours have lived in Edge Hill all of their lives so at least have have deep roots in the area. They have witnessed the decline for the past 30 years and see that the plans now are the only way forward. They are entitled to their views as much as Mrs Pascoe but unfortunately don't have the time or the money or the expert backing to push their campaign for a new Edge Hill, including Edge Lane.

I feel that while Mrs Pascoe seems to have the media on her side, who misguidedly see her as a local hero, no one apart from local councillors, seems to be sticking up for my parents or the other residents who fully support regeneration and always have done. They are upset that she is pursuing this crusade to the bitter end when she knows that she is in a minority - of one.
    As someone who is directly involved in the BEVEL affair, I thought I would speak out. I was asked a good while ago if I could construct something to highlight the Edge Lane plan and after seeing what heritage we could lose, I contacted Elizabeth and offered her a free website which you can find at http://www.edge-lane.com/

Elizabeth has ploughed in lots of her personal money in to this over the years - she does not get a handout, nor does she get any funding either. Everything she does comes out of her own pocket, or the pockets of those around to help her. She rents out rooms to students to help pay for her costs and has done for every year for the last few years.

In my personal opinion, the side roads around Edge Lane are not pretty at all, are plighted by narrow streets and therefore should be pulled down. But I got involved in this project (at my expense) to help try and save the victorian houses that run alongside Edge Lane. To spend millions on new pavements and then stick some prefabs up at the end of the road, really would be an insult.

Having never met Elizabeth before this, she came across as a very honest person, drives an old car and has worked silly hours (as the rest of the team has) on this project. This isn't about one person creating problems, it is one person trying to give a sensible and alternative plan to Edge Lane with carefully thought out and planned traffic routes as shown on my website.

At her time of life, she does not need to be forced out of her house, to be paid a pittance and forced to 'up shop' and move in to a flat somewhere. Put simply, why would anyone want to take the ?30,000 on offer for a house so they can knock it down and construct a prefab for ?125,000 on the same plot - probably much smaller than the houses there at the moment.

She is quite within her right to campaign to have this stopped, and I feel very sorry that this last attempt failed. Her advice is from people like Save Britain's Heritage, local solicitors and campaigners who work for the government in their day job, then give up considerable time to help on this project.

But as the local rag have never once published her website, the people of liverpool are still in the dark about her plans for the whole area - view it and you may see why she has worked so hard to do this.

The bottom line is, is that no matter what is cleared around Edge Lane, there is one building that they can't move - the church on the corner, and thus, this junction will be no better off for traffic with burnt out properties than it will with new prefabs.

cyon, the reason i have posted here is to stick up for my parents and their neighbours who have been looking out on tinned up houses for years and want the redevelopment to move on. it sounds a little high handed to say that mrs pascoe's plans are better and that local people would agree to live in 'prefabs' (by this is think you mean substandard housing that won't last). they want the best for the area but disagree with bevel in the best way to go about this.
    mrs pascoe does have the right to protest and has done this very effectively but i think to the detriment of others. that's my point.
    my parents are in their mid 60s and retired and my aunty who lives there is nearly 80, most residents left in edge hill are in the same age bracked 60, 70s and 80s. They have stuck it out - they certainly deserve better than to be living in the wasteland that exists now and which is there for anyone to see.

You've got a good point G.A. Supposedly,in a democracy,the majority should be followed,and it seems to me that this is being forgotten.I have the impression, that at least now,(though I might be wrong?) most people in the area,want some progress!

Many times I've met up with Elizabeth Pascoe and indeed produced the website for her (www.edge-lane.com) but never have I actually been inside her house.

I was given a call a couple of days ago to ask if I could come and photograph every inch of the house for her memory.

I turned up to find an immaculate and well presented home and felt that footage was needed to show how one lady has kept her house so even when she is the last person standing in her street.

How very sad that one lady at her time of life is being forced out of her home, paid a pittance for in return and told to find herself a mortgage at the age of 62 for another house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mey6IXJL5ZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLJENrNL0Qk

The whole system needs changing. Residents should be paid what the going market rate was for their properties prior to the announcement of demolition plans which cause that rate to collapse, or given an equivalent property. All this would be avoided. It is unacceptable that people who have paid for their properties are forced back into rented accommodation late in life. I say good on Liz for putting up a fight. Ordinary working people (homeowners and tenants) in this city have been treated like sh!t in every redevelopment here for decades.

I've just read back a couple of pages. I would just like to squash the over and over repeated UNTRUTH that all this came about as Edge Lane was derelict and nobody wanted to live there - IT WASN'T!!! Ten years ago before all this came about the majority of the houses were in reasonable condition and occupied by ordinary working people, university students, small businesses such as dental practices, etc. The reasons for all this was to try and improve traffic flow and yuppify the area a bit to provide a more attractive gateway to the city for the visitors to the European Capital of Culture 2008. The reason it became such a sh!thole is because it is in the interest of the developers to run an area down to both justify their proposals and pay out less. Yes it needs sorting out now but this should never have been allowed to happen!

Elizabeth on a tour of her house, trying to put 20 years of her life in just a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnChHaVWvY

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    The whole system needs changing. Residents should be paid what the going market rate was for their properties prior to the announcement of demolition plans which cause that rate to collapse, or given an equivalent property. All this would be avoided. It is unacceptable that people who have paid for their properties are forced back into rented accommodation late in life. I say good on Liz for putting up a fight. Ordinary working people (homeowners and tenants) in this city have been treated like sh!t in every redevelopment here for decades.
    I agree Howie. She shoud have the full market value of the house before it was deserted. Looks a lovely house too. Good luck to her.

Just a note to say I've changed the website address:

www.edge-lane.info

Went to the leaving party of Elizabeth's last night. A grand occasion. The whole house full of people and a live band to boot.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122