Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge Lane Development

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse View Post
    Some nice pics of Lark Lane HERE. Click on the pics to enlarge.
    My dads is not far from Lark Lane.

Accross the park for me.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

To get back to the point of Edge Lane I can't see the need to knock all the houses in the area down.

Some of them could be demolished but most could be renovated.

These developments put cars before people and I fear that the area could end up the same way as Scottie Road when they built the tunnel which just looks like a nondescript motorway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soreofhing View Post
    I get back to the UK occasionally, but I'm ****ed if I won't get up to Royston Street (if it hasn't been pulled down beforehand) and have a couple of pints in the Royston Arms. What are the local beers? And what is typical old fashioned pub food in Liverpool?
    Soreofhing
    Thanks, Rob.

If you're going to to have a pint in that pub you'd better take a crowbar and a six pack, 'cos it's the pub in the pic - boarded up. As you say, I think you're ****ed!

As for Pub Grub, there's not much to choose, most is supplied by the same food preparation companies, if it's not boiled in the bag it's probably microwaved. It's all much of a muchness...
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...88368&hl=en-GB
    Liverpool Land Development's video, slightly re-edited by the Scouse Times folks
    Very good and quite saddening at the same time
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

It's so good and so true!

Seriously though, who else apart from me thinks that a scam is going on? There's something really fishy about this and I hope that it gets scrappaed and the plans from the 1970's are put into action.

The M62 was always meant to go into the city and would have followed the railway line thus meaning that Edge Lane was unaffected. The motorway would then have either...

A) Gone into a tunnel and terminated on Islington (ever wondered why there is a gyratory on Low Hill? Well, in that triangle where the brown warehouses are, the M62 would have emerged and freeflowed onto Islington)

B) Run onto Upper Parly Street somehow.

The M62 into Liverpool City Centre was scrapped because the proposed Inner Liverpool Motorway was also scrapped.

All the above is why I find Edge Lane so distressing. There has always mean to be a high standard road flowing into the city, But Edge Lane wasn't the intended route.

For more information, Click here and have a look at the plans!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Blog Entries

RESIDENTS fear lives will be at risk after a £300m regeneration scheme involving their neighbourhood.

Plans for the transformation of Edge Lane from the city centre to the Rocket flyover have been altered, leaving some householders with nowhere to park.

People living along the Edge Lane Drive stretch had been promised parking bays to end the current practice of parking on the pavement.

The bays would also enable those who have driveways to reverse out onto the main road without fear of colliding into on-coming traffic. But work has already begun and the parking bay plan has been abandoned without any consultation, according to residents.

Bill Davies, 56, who has lived on Edge Lane Drive for 10 years, said: “During my time in this house we have seen eight people killed on this stretch of road.

“We desperately need to make the route safer for everyone.

“We thought that would happen because the parking bays would enable cars to be parked up out of the way of traffic, it would also help people with driveways to reverse out safely.

“But I think we have been fooled, the plans have changed and our lives are going to be put at risk.”

Source...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default edge lane

If the government had finshed the building the M62

ie the inner liverpool motorway, then we wouldn't be knocking down homes on edge lane now 30 years later
    Don't believe everything you hear..... Just everything you say.

Bulldozers moving in to Edge Lane
    Oct 26

Liverpool Echo

BULLDOZERS will move into Edge Lane next week to start pulling down empty houses.

Regeneration

officials will start demolition despite uncertainty about the future of the multi-million pound scheme to widen the road and build anew community next to it.

Work will concentrate on large Victorian houses lining the west end of Edge Lane, many of which have been unoccupied for some time.

All those

due to be ripped down have already been bought up and are now the subject of the court battle between Liverpool Land Development Company and residents.

LLDC chief executive David Waugh said: "The start of work at Edge Lane West is a very important milestone for this project.

Story continues...

Edge Lane scheme set to go ahead
    Oct 27 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

HOMEOWNERS fighting the contentious Edge

Lane road-widening scheme will be forced to look on as bulldozers move in on Monday to pull down hundreds of surrounding houses.

Despite a successful

High Court challenge brought by a resident opposing the plans, 265 derelict properties will be demolished over the next few months as the much-delayed

regeneration project gets under way.

Officials insist the work will pave the way for a multi-million pound facelift for the area, including new homes

to replace the run-down buildings.

But campaigner Elizabeth Pascoe, who brought the legal case against the organisations involved, last night

insisted the new road still cannot go ahead.

She said: "They are trying to take a stance to prove something. This is political sabre-rattling.

"They can knock them down, but the road still cannot go ahead while the other houses are still standing." The stretch of land, in the Edge Lane West

area, is being cleared to make way for major road improvements to remove the traffic bottleneck at St Cyprian's Church. It includes realigning the road,

widening it to dual carriageway and introducing a central reservation.

The project is being delivered by Liverpool Land Development Company (LLDC)

the Northwest Regional Development Agency, English Partnerships and Liverpool City Council.

David Waugh, LLDC chief executive, said: "The start of

work on Edge Lane West is a very important milestone for this project, which will provide the local community with new homes, new community and retail

facilities in place of currently derelict properties and a much safer road."

Last month a High Court judge refused to rubber-stamp a compulsory

purchase order forcing residents fighting the plans to leave.

Ms Pascoe argued the plan to buy up her home was a breach of her human rights, meaning

the whole project could potentially have to be redrawn.

A further ruling is expected next month.

Liverpool's Labour leader Joe Anderson

said: "This scheme seems to be just about tarting up the road.

"When I supported this I was given the false impression it was about improving traffic

flow but that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

"I can't see anything that will speed up the journey from the motorway to the city centre."

Cllr Marilyn Fielding, Liverpool's executive member for housing and neighbourhoods, said:

"The removal of derelict properties replaced by a

new housing development alongside large-scale environmental improvements will create a stunning gateway into the city."

samlister@dailypost.co.uk

Source:

icLiverpool

Edge Lane order stops bulldozers
    Oct 30 2006
    By Alan

Weston Daily Post

AN

INJUNCTION was served on Liverpool council leader Warren Bradley and others last night to stop bulldozers moving in to demolish hundreds of homes as part of

the Edge Lane road-widening scheme.

Solicitors acting on behalf of campaigner and local resident Elizabeth Pascoe - who brought a successful High

Court challenge to prevent the scheme from going ahead - obtained the injunction over the weekend.

It means that if the council, and other parties

involved with the scheme, press ahead with the demolition as planned this morning, they could be found in contempt of court.

The action was taken

after the council and lead organisation Liverpool Land Development Company announced at the end of last week that they were pressing ahead with the

demolition of 265 derelict properties which are already in public ownership to pave the way for a multi-million pound facelift for the area, including new

homes to replace the rundown

buildings.

Story continues...

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Edge Lane order stops bulldozers
    Oct 30 2006
    By Alan Weston Daily

AN INJUNCTION was

served on Liverpool council leader Warren Bradley and others last night to stop bulldozers moving in to demolish hundreds of homes as part of the Edge Lane

road-widening scheme.

Solicitors acting on behalf of campaigner and local resident Elizabeth Pascoe - who brought a successful High Court challenge to

prevent the scheme from going ahead - obtained the injunction over the weekend.

It means that if the council, and other parties involved with the

scheme, press ahead with the demolition as planned this morning, they could be found in contempt of court.

The action was taken after the council and

lead organisation Liverpool Land Development Company announced at the end of last week that they were pressing ahead with the demolition of 265 derelict

properties which are already in public ownership to pave the way for a multi-million pound facelift for the area, including new homes to replace the rundown

buildings.

Story continues...
    Here we go again. The selfish, narrow minded

minority getting in the way of something that the vast majority of people want. They say they where forced into taking out an injunction because they didn't

know which properties are going to be demolished, what!! It might just be the derelict, boarded-up ones along edge lane as LLDC said. These people are

looking for any excuse to save these houses at any cost. Even if these houses where renovated, no-one will want to live in them because of the proximity to

the road and the lack of local amenities. I actually read somewhere that one of the protestors said that the road could be widened by taking the front

gardens off the houses!!! What a joke. So people would step out of their front door straight onto a tiny pavement with a busy dual carriageway next to

it!!
    I am the last person to want any of Liverpols heritage to go, but I am capable of seeing the bigger picture and realising that these properties

aren't wanted anymore and have to go.I am fed up with the constant criticism of this scheme as alot of people are. This is about creating a better, safer

and quicker entrance into Liverpool. Some people have said they can't see how it is going to make journey times quicker and improve safety, I can! At the

bottleneck, the road will be widened from 1 lane in each direction to 2 and at one point there will be 3, one dedicated for right hand turns to keep the

other 2 lanes flowing. There will be a central reservation with a barrier and brand new pedestrian crossings, both of which will improve safety. There are

currently 0 crossings at this junction. The pavements on each side will be very wide with trees to screen the road and the new housing and shops set way back

from the road.
    There is no doubt that this scheme will make this area safer, cleaner and more desireable for people to live and work.

I admire the woman's determination.

Still, if it was up to me I'd ban cars from the town centre and put in better public transport systems (like trams perhaps), or have a congestion charge.

Perhaps if people weren't so lazy they'd park and then allow themselves 20 minutes to walk to work. Also, we'd all be a lot healthier for it.

On

the subject of the Edge Lane demolition, I can't say I'm a big fan of boarded up disused houses, but if the developers can't be specific about which

houses they intend to knock down, then it's their own silly fault that this injunction has been issued.

Blog Entries

this is the time we live in,everyone will lose

out
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

At least the rest of the project is going ahead as planned. (Touch wood)

It looks good but it might move the accident black spot gfrom the Rocket to town,

which will be the end of the new racetrack. Or am I being cynical?
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast