Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Edge Lane Development

Any idea whether or not an appeal was formally lodged with teh Court of Appeal. The deadline was today but despite the initial battle cry from campaigners when the CPO was confirmed, I haven't heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
    Any idea whether or not an appeal was formally lodged with teh Court of Appeal. The deadline was today but despite the initial battle cry from campaigners when the CPO was confirmed, I haven't heard anything.
    It has. The powers that be won't be able to touch Edge Lane till at least Easter 2009 with all the paperwork of the hearing

Bill for Edge Lane project rockets
    Dec 2 2008
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

THE cost of extending Liverpool?s Edge Lane dual carriageway has risen by ?9.5m, to ?25.6m, after regeneration officials ?underestimated? the price of property and demolition.

It comes as the Daily Post can reveal that the long- awaited Edge Lane West scheme faces yet more delays after campaigners launched a new legal challenge to a compulsory purchase order (CPO).

Activist Elizabeth Pascoe, who opposed the scheme to demolish Victorian homes to widen Edge Lane West, said she expected her legal challenge to be heard around Easter, 2009.

Last night, Labour opposition leader Cllr Joe Anderson said: ?There needs to be some serious questions asked about the way this scheme has been handled.? Alongside the widening of Edge Lane West to improve traffic flow from the city centre to the M62, it is envisaged that 280 new houses, a new medical centre and shops will also be built.

Council officials have admitted in a transport capital programme document that ?acquisitions and associated demolition costs were originally underestimated?, leading to a 60% rise in costs to widening the road.

Of the ?25.6m that will be spent on the scheme, the Department for Transport (DfT) is to pay ?22.1m, with ?2.48m due to come from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and the city council spending another ?1m.

The ERDF is to virtually double its contribution, with the DfT being asked to contribute an additional ?6.3m. The same document reveals the funding is ?aspirational at present and will be confirmed once successful bids for external funding have been made.

?Expenditure will not be committed against external funding until offer letters have been received.?

Around 370 homes on Edge Lane and surrounding streets will need to be demolished.

Almost 90% of the properties are either already in public ownership or are in the process of acquisition.

In September, the council, English Partnerships (now called the Homes and Communities Agency) and the Government confirmed a second CPO on almost 70 homes along Edge Lane and surrounding streets.

The first was quashed in the High Court in November, 2006, on a technicality.

Cllr Anderson said: ?This particular project seems to go from one particular disaster to another. An increase of 60% is appalling, and we need to have a serious look at where we go with this.?

Last night, Mrs Pascoe, who lives in Edge Lane, said: ?If we finally achieve what we have been fighting for it will not be a victory. The whole thing stinks, besides the misery it has caused people it has damaged Liverpool?s reputation and trust in government.?

A spokesman for the city council said: ?The increase in costs are as a result of rising property and land prices in the city over the last few years, and delays caused by the legal challenges to the CPO.?

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Just like those that have opposed the EFC move to Kirkby, these Edge Lane legal challenges have proved that people power can work over the fat cats and cause major disruption in their plans and cause costs to escalate to what should now make it an unviable option. Personally, i'm fed up with councils putting road improvements ahead of peoples wellbeing and welcome anything like this. It's just a pity that we tenement residents were all council cannon fodder many years ago when moved around like pawns, one reason that the inner city population fell more than anywhere else in the country and something they are now crying over trying to rectify.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Judge?s broadside at Liverpool Council over Edge Lane
    Dec 27 2008

LIVERPOOL Council did ?as little as possible? to comply with the law when introducing new traffic arrangements on its key Edge Lane corridor, a High Court judge has ruled.

More...

Probe into Liverpool's Edge Lane plan as High Court hearing starts
    Mar 23 2009

THE EUROPEAN Commission has been asked to investigate a scheme to regenerate Liverpool?s Edge Lane corridor, the Daily Post can reveal.

Campaigner Elizabeth Pascoe claims the way housing contracts were handled constitutes unfair state aid.

The allegation is denied by city authorities.

The North West Development Agency is currently drawing up a response on behalf of itself, the council and regeneration body Liverpool Vision.

The news comes on the day Ms Pascoe?s latest legal challenge to the scheme, which would see Edge Lane widened, is due to be heard in the High Court.

During the two-day hearing she will challenge a compulsory purchase order forcing home-owners to sell up.

It is the latest bout in a long-running saga over the ?70m plus project.

Last night Cllr Louise Baldock, who represents Kensington and Fairfield, said the situation around Edge Lane was desperate due to the huge number of empty homes.

Liverpool Vision is hoping for a successful outcome to both cases so work can start early next year.

The EC investigation centres on Bellway Homes being given ?preferred developer? status to build new homes as part of the Edge Lane Scheme.

In 2001 when the Housing Market Renewal Initiative (HMRI) was launched the city was divided into four ?Zones of Opportunity?: Kensington, Anfield, Picton/Wavertree and Speke Garston. Bellway won the bid for the Picton/Wavertree area.

The Daily Post understands an open procurement procedure was followed to find a preferred developer for each zone.

Using preferred developers was a mechanism to make a company develop the less desirable, and less profitable, areas in each zone as well as more lucrative parts.

Ms Pascoe said last night: ?I made the state aid complaint because the city council has given them preferential treatment so that no one else gets a look in. It seems not quite right to me.?

An EC ruling against the city authorities could have ramifications not only for the Edge Lane scheme but also for HMRI.

Last night director of legal and estates at the NWDA Steven Zdolyny said: ?The Agency is aware of the state aid challenge and we are working with partners to co-ordinate a response to the EC.?

The response is due to be submitted in two weeks time.

Some 370 homes on Edge Lane and surrounding streets must be demolished for the scheme to proceed.

Almost 90% of the properties are either already in public ownership or are in the process of acquisition.

Cllr Baldock said: ?There are currently streets and streets of empty houses. There is no point in anyone continuing to try to keep the community together when it has been scattered.?

In September the council, English Partnerships (now the Homes and Communities Agency) and the Government confirmed a second CPO on almost 70 homes along Edge Lane and surrounding streets.

The first was quashed in the High Court in November, 2006, on a technicality.

Head of gateways at Liverpool Vision Rob Monaghan said: ?The Edge Lane West Project has the continued support of the vast majority of the community, which was emphasised by the planning inspectors recommendation following a public inquiry into the scheme.

?It was further endorsed by the Secretary of State in confirming the Compulsory Purchase Order.

?The scheme partners are hoping for a successful outcome to the high court hearing on 23/24th March to enable development to begin early 2010.?

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Elizabeth Pascoe loses latest bid to halt Liverpool Edge Lane regeneration scheme
    Mar 25 2009
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Echo

CAMPAIGNING gran Elizabeth Pascoe failed in her latest bid to halt a scheme to regenerate Liverpool?s Edge Lane corridor.

Yesterday Justice Duncan Ouseley at the High Court in London refused to quash a compulsory purchase order covering 370 properties.

She was then immediately refused leave to appeal but has 21 days to lodge a challenge with the Court of Appeal.

Today Liverpool Council leader Cllr Warren Bradley said: ?Hopefully there will be no further challenges and we can make real progress on a regeneration scheme which will immensely improve the quality of life of local people.?

The council is working with its regeneration agency Liverpool Vision and the Homes and Communities Agency on the scheme.

They hope to start work in early 2010 on the ?70m project that will see the key arterial route widened.

Today Ms Pascoe said: ?I do not intend to appeal for me personally, but if it?s in the wider public interest I suppose I ought to.?

This was her second legal challenge.

The first CPO issued to allow work to go ahead was quashed in the High Court in November 2006, on a technicality.

She fought the latest challenge on two grounds, that reservations expressed by the Commission for Architecture and Built Environment (CABE) after a public inquiry had not been properly considered.

And the second related to the inquiry inspector?s judgement that alternative plans put forward by objectors were not deliverable.

Mr Justice Ouseley said: ?There was no error of law, no inadequacy of reasons and certainly no substantial prejudice was caused.?

Source: Liverpool Echo
    Last edited by Howie; 03-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Default 'I'm not doing it for myself' Really?

Bit of a mystery, is Mrs Pascoe - where is all the money coming from to fund her appeals? Where is the advice coming from? I mean, what regular resident would think to appeal to the EC claiming 'unfair state aid' for a housing project, which is Mrs Pascoe's latest wheeze? The vast majority of Edge Hill residents want this scheme and the wider regeneration scheme to go ahead.

How can one person can wield such power and potentially affect the lives of so many other residents, including my parents, who are desperate for an improvement in their living conditions and want the new regeneration plans to go ahead. Mrs Pascoe is in the minority in her objections. We live in a democracy and Mrs Pascoe should accept this.

I know for a fact that my parents and their neighbours would be devastated if the regeneration is delayed further. Local councilor Louise Baldock, who represents Kensington and Fairfield, has also said the situation around Edge Lane was 'desperate' due to the huge number of empty homes.

My parents are now in their mid 60s and surrounded by half derelict and bricked up buildings. Unlike Ms Pascoe, they and their neighbours have lived in Edge Hill all of their lives so at least have have deep roots in the area. They have witnessed the decline for the past 30 years and see that the plans now are the only way forward. They are entitled to their views as much as Mrs Pascoe but unfortunately don't have the time or the money or the expert backing to push their campaign for a new Edge Hill, including Edge Lane.

I feel that while Mrs Pascoe seems to have the media on her side, who misguidedly see her as a local hero, no one apart from local councillors, seems to be sticking up for my parents or the other residents who fully support regeneration and always have done. They are upset that she is pursuing this crusade to the bitter end when she knows that she is in a minority - of one.

Do local meetings not take place in this area where the plight of these people can be put to her then. It is sad that the council have left the area to become run down as when they get an idea in their head such as the M62 extension into town which is what was proposed 30 years ago, then maintenance, refurbs etc just does not happen and they get their way in the end. I know this from the Hunter Street/Vauxhall ring road plans.

Gary_arry, Similar situation happened with our school - read my rant -

post no.15 http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...t=12708&page=2

it amazes me how a very small minority can throw a spanner in the works - I believe it takes only one person to object and it can bring plans to a halt.
    Last edited by lindylou; 03-26-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Ged, it is sad very that a once thriving and vibrant area has declined so much - but i think the reasons are complex: falling population, economic decline of the docks, railways manufacturing and some social problems just accelerated the decline. It reached the point where no-one wanted to move into the area and more people left, creating a vicious cycle of abandonment and decline. It reached a point where about nine years ago the Governement did intervene with the Regeneration plans - which are still more or less on the drawing board.
    Mrs Pascoe's appeals have held things up for a good few years now, so we have even more dereliction and abandonment leaving residents in this desperate situtation. Mrs Pascoe thinks things can be saved by refurbing homes but there are just too many empty houses in a blighted neighbourhood that no-one would want to live in.
    Residents have been consulted and infact have been looking at plans. They are excited that they could have a new community based on something like the Eldonian Village model, which seems so have worked.
    The Regeneration is not just about a road going through a community. The road is there - it will be widened. But this will tie in with the redevelopment of the surrounding streets either side of Edge Lane. If the plans are to be believed then it all will be impressive. And a millon times better than the dereliction now which has gone past the point of no return a point which was reached long before Mrs Pascoe's campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Do local meetings not take place in this area where the plight of these people can be put to her then. It is sad that the council have left the area to become run down as when they get an idea in their head such as the M62 extension into town which is what was proposed 30 years ago, then maintenance, refurbs etc just does not happen and they get their way in the end. I know this from the Hunter Street/Vauxhall ring road plans.
    Ged, I know it's off topic, but we had lots of meetings and the objecters have been so stubborn digging their heels in - our kids education has been put on hold at a crucial time in their school lives when they are in senior years and education facilities crucial.
    People are SO selfish. I bet the people who object have no kids, or have kids grown up and left home.

ps, as Gary_arry said - about people having roots in the area - - the majority of our schoolkids are of families born & bred in the district, and they deserve the best education in their own area - - one of the main protesters had moved in from another district
    Last edited by lindylou; 03-26-2009 at 01:57 PM.

lindylou, you are so right. These people are having a direct influence on people's lives - to mess with children's education is shocking. New isn't always bad. I really hope your son gets his new school.

Thanks for your reply.
    At last things have got moving and we hope to move into the school Sept.

Good luck for your parents gary. Hopefully something will now start moving as, like you say, the decline is now so far advanced that only forward progress will now regenerate the area. It's a pity the frontage of Edge Lane with those fine houses couldn't have been saved though long ago with a model village lying behind. We've seen so many thoroughfares like Scotland Road, Byrom Street, Stanley Road etc go to wrack and ruin and these main arterial routes into the city centre are not good first impressions to visitors either but could have been.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast