Central Hall, Renshaw Street. Liverpool's Central Hall, an architecturally complex building with grand entrance tower and dome designed by Bradshaw and Glass of Bolton was erected in 1905 on the site of the historic Unitarian chapel as a memorial to Charles Garrett (who had always disapproved of grandiose projects of this kind). It seated 3,115 persons and cost no less than £52,681. The Hall very quickly became the centre for a whole variety of religious and social activities, which have steadily grown with the years. It escaped bomb damage in the Second World War, but post-war indebtedness several times threatened closure. This was slowly overcome and in the late '50s and '60s a programme of reconstruction and redecoration was undertaken to fit the Hall for the constantly increasing demands made upon its services. These were completed in 1970/71 at a total cost of £60,000.