Thread: Searching for any info Melwood orphanage/convent school

Partsky

Default Searching for any info Melwood orphanage/convent school

Can anyone provide any info re Melwood Convent or boarding School in West Derby, which I think is off Honeysgreen Lane. My Mum was taken there as an orphan in the 20s and stayed 10 difficult years. She found it hard to talk about so our details are patchy. We are trying to put the pieces together (my 4 Sisters and myself) as she has now passed away. Anyone know anything about some sort of orphanage in the Honeysgreen Lane area of West Derby operational in the 20s and 30s. I am sure I was told it was called Melwood Convent but the only one I can trace is a Carmelite Monastery in West Derby but I think they are a closed order so I think they would not have taught and cared for orphans. If they did, they definitely did a bad job of it as my Mum had nightmares about the place for the rest of her life. Can anyone help fill a gap in our family history. Thanks a lot

well done Partsky you did it if its not in the right bit Kev will move it for you.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

I have found lots of helpful info on this family tree site and they are really lovely and look up loads of stuff if you need it. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Merseyside Genealogy & History Forum
    http://genchatfriends.proboards39.com/
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Can anyone provide any info re Melwood Convent or boarding School in West Derby, which I think is off Honeysgreen Lane. My Mum was taken there as an orphan in the 20s and stayed 10 difficult years. She found it hard to talk about so our details are patchy. We are trying to put the pieces together (my 4 Sisters and myself) as she has now passed away. Anyone know anything about some sort of orphanage in the Honeysgreen Lane area of West Derby operational in the 20s and 30s. I am sure I was told it was called Melwood Convent but the only one I can trace is a Carmelite Monastery in West Derby but I think they are a closed order so I think they would not have taught and cared for orphans. If they did, they definitely did a bad job of it as my Mum had nightmares about the place for the rest of her life. Can anyone help fill a gap in our family history. Thanks a lot
    Maybe I can help ?

You need to talk to the Nuns (( I think it is sister Mary Theresa)

at Broughton Hall

Honeysgreen lane

West derby

Liverpool 12

- They may have records - Otherwise ask at the Education Offices in
    Sir Thomas street.

The boys school next door was called Cardinal Allen grammar school - they may also be able to help.

Partsky

thanks sweetcheeks and steven for help in sorting out thread, and, of course moving it for me to appropriate site; website is brilliant. I had to drag my elderly neighbour off it today and he is going to get a laptop on the strength of it!

Default Re : Searching for any info Melwood orphanage/convent school

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    History of West Derby School

The post-war 'baby-boom' resulted in a much higher number of teenage children in the 1950s. Liverpool Corporation embarked on a massive school building programme, which our two school sites were part of.

West Derby High School was opened in September 1957 by the first Head Teacher was Mr A.L Casson. The school was designed by Liverpool Architects Harold E Davies and Sons to house 540 boys. Harold E Davies died in 1952, so it is unlikely that he was involved with the plans, his son Harold Hinchcliffe probably designed the building which took about two years to complete.

Source : http://www.westderbyschool.com/pages/oldWD/oldWD1.html

This site gives information about boarding school in West Derby and in the U.S.

http://www.teen-boarding-school.com/

Hope this helps.